Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Musicians/artists you’ve seen in multiple different guises.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you REALLY liked the album, I guess you'd like the performance - by the book, as it was.

For me it is the least strong piece in a huge and brilliant body of work. The decision to 'rock' it up a bit was a very poor one in my opinion.

The band are / were far, far better at the earlier less obviously commercial stuff (from the earliest stuff, through Fables, and right up to Green). The more radio friendly pop stuff of Out of Time and Automatic was less to my taste, but they were still patently very, very good at it.

Then, with Monster, they decided to try to turn into Muse! Not for me (Clive).

They regained my interest best part of a decade later, with Reveal, which fits the early work much better.

All IMO, obvs.

The period around the time of Monster was in some respect a strange one for music. I feel grunge was directly and indirectly influencing many bands, REM included. It was an okay album but the following one, New Adventures in Hifi was pretty good imho. I lost interest after this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree, I was there with Mrs Jakarta and we left early, never thought I would do that at an REM gig.

Just to finish the day, the M25 was closed for around 3 hours just after Junction 9, guess who decided not to get off there?

Ha. Good memory! We were stuck in that until about 3am. We were crawling / not moving for hour after hour, and my fuel gauge was well into the red, so I was bricking it. People were playing football and wandering about.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How wide an interpretation is 'artist'? I've seen some actors live in various musical stage shows - does that count?

Carrie Hope Fletcher - War of the Worlds and Heathers The Musical
Jodie Steele - Heathers the Musical and Rock of Ages
Lucas Rush - Rock of Ages and American Idiot
Diane Pilkington - Wicked and Young Frankenstein
Laura Baldwin - Eugenius! and Waitress
Lauren Drew - Kinky Boots and Heathers the Musical
Olivia Moore - Heathers and Waitress
Oliver Thompsett - Wicked and Kinky Boots
Jordan Fox - played different roles the two times I saw Kinky Boots

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Weller with The Jam, The Style Council and solo.

Glenn Tilbrook is always a good laugh, with Squeeze, with Difford or solo.

Seen Difford in all three guises also.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Another with lots of variations of Memebers of Throwing Muses/ The Breeders and Galaxie 500

American Music Club and Mark Eitzel Solo and 'solo' with Bernard Butler ex Suede and Suede (but without Bernard Butler ... so that doesn't count)
Sugar and Bob Mould (didn't see Husker Du)
Luke Haines Solo and Auteurs and Black Box Recorder (but not Baader Meinhof)
Josh T Pearson and Lift To Experience (very different)
Kevin Shields in My Bloody Valentine and Primal Scream
Lawrence in Felt, Denim and Go-Kart Mozart
Amelia Fletcher with loads of bands a bit like Mark Lanegan 9but not like Mark Lanegan)
David Bowie and Tin Machine (who live were not as bad as their harshest critics say)

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I also forgot Lloyd Cole, have seen him in 3 bands - solo, with Commotions and The Negatives.

Although, to be fair they’re all him and whoever his current entourage is at the time, a bit like Mark Kozelek in that respect....!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m going to see The Good, The Bad, The Queen on Sunday. I have seen Damon Albarn as Blur, Gorillaz, solo, TGTBTQ and also seen his two operas. That’s 5

I’ve seen Nick Cave with the Bad Seeds, solo, acoustic*, in conversation and as Grinderman. Also 5.

Which artists have done more? Johnny Marr comes to mind.

Have you seen anyone more?

* the loudest acoustic show I have ever witnessed.

Henry Rollins as front man of Black Flag, Rollins Band, Mother Superior, Henrietta Collins and the Wife Beating Child Haters, MC5 and more on the Rise Above tour and various spoken word shows. Interesting chap.

Eddie Vedder with Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, solo, with The Who , Pink Floyd and Neil Young.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Robert Smith - The Cure also in Siouxsie & the Banshees.
Jean-Jacques Burnel- The Stranglers and also on his Euroman Cometh solo tour.

For any acoustic roots music fans Show of Hands in various guises.
Steve and Phil.
Steve, Phil and Miranda.
Steve, Phil and Cormack Byrne (Irish percussionist).
Steve, Phil and Richard Shindell (genius US Singer/Songwriter)
Steve, Phil, Miranda and Cormack Byrne - hopefully in November

Also,
Richard Thompson - god like acoustic guitar genius solo.
Richard Thompson - god like electric guitar genius in a power trio, also did acoustic guitar stuff at the same concert including 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - possibly one of the greatest songs ever written.

Am I a voice in the wilderness here :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Brian May with Roger, Freddie and John in original Queen
Brian May with Kerry Ellis
Brian May autographed 3D book about Queen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here