Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not the right way to go about changing someone's viewpoint, is it? :shrug:

Instead of 'outrage' and vicious retaliation, why can't people just say 'You're wrong pal. This is why you're wrong - because.. "

That's the trouble these days. We get spoon fed a viewpoint then whipped up into such a frenzy that if anyone dare counter it they end up being hung, drawn and quartered with some kind of mob mentality. I was being driven (in a very slow moving traffic jam) in a left hand drive car at the time the huge media thing was on about being on the phone whilst driving. I was on the phone in the passenger seat (which in the UK is the drivers seat, of course) and some old geezer almost had a coronary thrombosis waving his arms around, effing this and effing that, making cut throat gestures and w**k*r signs, making phone call gestures, spittle flicking from his gritted teeth in a blind fury.

I pointed to the empty dashboard in front of me and changed his tune, but you'd have thought I was beheading a kitten with a pen knife the way he was acting. He was 'outraged' on behalf of the wider world, clearly. I will state again that the car never got above a slow walking pace.

All I'm saying is that instead of shooting the OP between the eyes, just educate him? If he's not prepared to listen, or doesn't want to know, then maybe he can then be adjudged a tosser - but at least give him the chance first.....

Others have posted their "because of..." tales and mine is elsewhere on this website, so it isn't like I am not willing to engage in the discussion/education around the issues of mental health.

However, what had been lacking was some honest reality. Generally people want to tip toe around this subject, even when trying to be open or explain the situation. It is a taboo and it is very deeply ingrained in the generation that most of us here are, men in particular and the British culturally. However, sometimes some CJTC needs to understand that what they say has very real consequences and impacts real people in a real way.

The OP has, in my opinion shown himself to be amongst the lowest of the low. Racists, sexists and homophobes all have a name, but the prejudice and willful dismissal of those who have suffered or are suffering from the darkest of soul-eating conditions need to be called out in the same way you would a racist or a homophobe.

Sorry if that doesn't meet the "they just don't understand, let's educate them" agenda. [MENTION=15278]Beach Seagull[/MENTION] is a f**king sh*t.

You have made a reasoned argument for your case and I do respect your opinion most of the time but on this point I would ask for a little latitude to offer an alternative reaction to those that had already been presented.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Social Media represents a clear and present danger to not only people with MH concerns but young people in general.

Absolutely. I know a senior and experienced counsellor, who said her work with mentally ill young people is dominated by the adverse effects of social media, but also the hooking up websites and resulting liaisons.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
You know we see eye to eye but to not pour a metaphorical bucket of cold piss over the head of some posters on this thread would be a dereliction of duty.

I can understand ignorance. But if a person 'doesn't know' anything about an issue that is all over the media, why start a provocative thread about it? If you don't know, and you care enough about something, ask some questions, don't start out with a firm position. That is simply idiotic. You can't 'educate' people whose stance is one of derision.

This is a forum, and the OP was sat at his keyboard, in the privacy of his own home or office - and clearly didn't think it through fully before posting. We've all done it. I know I have... I'm not sure if it was meant to be provocative as such (in order to stir up the reaction is has received). It was clearly borne of complete ignorance about mental health.

At the end of the day though this is a football forum, less genteel than some other subject forums, and we're not all the sharpest blades in the scalpel drawer. I'm certainly not.

I just think that education can help change viewpoints. I've changed many beliefs and standpoints throughout my lifetime after having things explained to me, properly and calmly - then going away and doing some further research. There's always hope for most people. :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Actually - Something just struck me about your post. The part I have highlighted.

There are some negative responses directed towards your overall post; however, I have a question about this part of your post

'' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression. ''

Does this part relate to yourself or someone close to you but you can't bring yourself to talk about it in another way but you are looking to find mass support for people with Mental Health issues in a round about way ?

If so then by all means find support on here but if it truly is affecting you or someone close to you - Please seek professional help. It is widely available in many forms

This is just a thought - I don't know you but sometime people try to reach out in many different ways

If it transpires you're right I'll retract my previous comments. This sort of shit makes me very angry, though. Would you mind sending me a PM if the OP does step back. I'd then be more than happy to apologise. It's true that things often aren't what they initially seem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Although on this particular subject, I will always want to read the ignorant posts of the last remaining dinosaurs, to then argue the decent and opposing view.

I hope you do the same, your support is invaluable.

p.s. too late!!!!

I can always read replies and the inferences are always clear :thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If it transpires you're right I'll retract my previous comments. This sort of shit makes me very angry, though. Would you mind sending me a PM if the OP does step back. I'd then be more than happy to apologise. It's true that things often aren't what they initially seem.

I don't know him - I jumped on his initial OP like everyone else did - Then I read that bit again and it sounded quite personal. Hence my later post on the subject.

His original post sounded ''Crass'' but something just got me thinking there might be something personal behind it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a forum, and the OP was sat at his keyboard, in the privacy of his own home or office - and clearly didn't think it through fully before posting. We've all done it. I know I have... I'm not sure if it was meant to be provocative as such (in order to stir up the reaction is has received). It was clearly borne of complete ignorance about mental health.

At the end of the day though this is a football forum, less genteel than some other subject forums, and we're not all the sharpest blades in the scalpel drawer. I'm certainly not.

I just think that education can help change viewpoints. I've changed many beliefs and standpoints throughout my lifetime after having things explained to me, properly and calmly - then going away and doing some further research. There's always hope for most people. :)

As I posted a few minutes ago, if the OP has issues and explains I'll be more than happy to apologise. I saw no sign of it before I blocked him, though. Let me know if he does.

If you're in Faversham again soon, come and see my *Echiums.

*for Latin scholars, that would be Echia. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I posted a few minutes ago, if the OP has issues and explains I'll be more than happy to apologise. I saw no sign of it before I blocked him, though. Let me know if he does.

If you're in Faversham again soon, come and see my *Echiums.

*for Latin scholars, that would be Echia. :lolol:

Does your collection include Echium vulgare, or are they too chavvy?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
What a strange post. So you thought that the only way you could enjoy yourself was to take ecstasy? In order to "let your hair down" you had to take drugs? Didn't you realise that it was perfectly possible to have a bloody good time without taking drugs? I lived through the 60s when there were plenty of drugs around, but did I feel the need to take any? No. Did I have a truly excellent time in the 60s? Yes. You knew ecstasy was a drug and yet you took it on most weekends. Now you're messed up. Nothing more to say really.

Just curious, do you enjoy alcohol?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
These NHS links give a good overview.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-depression/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/clinical-depression/treatment/
I would say propensity to depression is most correlated with early life experience, This can also affect how we recover from life's inevitable downs, from every day loss to serious trauma. It's great that people are talking more about mental health, especially men who often are more likely to bury things.
You don't have to suffer in silence, there is (some) help out there. I concede there could be more. NHS services are often too keen on quick fixes like anti-depressants and CBT which deal with symptoms rather than the cause of problems.
I'm not sure the amount of money you have is very relevant unless you are in real financial difficulties or abject poverty, which relatively speaking most in this country are not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Should anyone reading this thread need it:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/dealing-with-depression/

You can talk it through with your GP first if you prefer. Your GP can also tell you about antidepressants.

If you start to feel that your life isn't worth living or about harming yourself, get help straight away.

You can:

contact Samaritans on 116 123 for 24-hour confidential, non-judgemental emotional support
call your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
call 111 out of hours – they will help you find the support and help you need

You can find mental health apps and tools in the NHS apps library.​

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...h-problems/depression/self-care/#.XN78r6Z7lp8

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/coping-with-depression.htm/

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Just curious, do you enjoy alcohol?

As it happens, yes I do. However I rarely if ever drink to excess. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been drunk, but in spite of that I can still have a good time. Fact is you do not have to be drunk or drugged up to enjoy yourself and the sooner people realise that the better.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A very honest and enlightening post. It’s not strange whatsoever.

It’s almost impossible to persuade teens and young adults not to use drugs, smoke or get addicted to alcohol. Your path was normal, and well done to you after your self-analysis in trying to take a healthier path. Both physically and mentally.

:):thumbsup:

That is frankly bollocks. Of course young people can be persuaded not use drugs, smoke, or get addicted to alcohol. The problem generally is bad parenting.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is frankly bollocks. Of course young people can be persuaded not use drugs, smoke, or get addicted to alcohol. The problem generally is bad parenting.

Always parents fault, if not the teacher.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You lot are so desperate to prove your 'understanding of mental health' and to accusse me of 'fishing' that you have completely missed the point I made. I'm not denying mental health is an issue and indeed i gave two examples in my OP as to what I think would be circumstances which may well lead to depression. The point I was making was that I can't take millionaire footballers and a Prince seriously when they talk about having depression. They have no idea of the real world, no idea what it's like to struggle financially,they live in a world cocooned from reality. Danny Rose is an attention seeking individual.............boosting about the thousands he spends on a night out in London then talking about depression? Perhaps he should swap his life with someone on minimum wage and see what depression really is. If it is true that Man United pulled out of a deal to sign him because of doubts over his mental health who can blame them. Any industry would pull out of purchasing something for millions if they had doubts as to whether it would function correctly.

I don't doubt and I have enormous sympathy with people with mental health issues and I didn't say to the contrary in my OP. I've not had a particularly easy life myself but I guess I've dealt with it in my own way (by being a ******** many would say on here)!! But dare to express the 'wrong' view on NSC and get the full trendy liberal weight bearing down on you.

Acknowledge the amount of money you have and mental health are not necessarily but it don't half help I guess knowing 100k a week is gonna be rolling in for the 5 years.

Think Herr Tubthumper said 'many' rich footballers have committed suicide, I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As it happens, yes I do. However I rarely if ever drink to excess. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have been drunk, but in spite of that I can still have a good time. Fact is you do not have to be drunk or drugged up to enjoy yourself and the sooner people realise that the better.

Can I politely suggest you partake in a small glass of sherry this evening - You don't appear to be enjoying yourself at the moment - And I am only joking before you make a serious response

I might even go out and have a small glass myself shortly -

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Fair enough.

You just went in pretty hard on that poster for enjoying taking drugs. Which is exactly what drinking is.

He mentioned absolutely nothing about needing to take drugs to have fun yet you somehow inferred it and blasted him for it. Entirely unjustified, unfair and unwarranted.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You lot are so desperate to prove your 'understanding of mental health' and to accusse me of 'fishing' that you have completely missed the point I made. I'm not denying mental health is an issue and indeed i gave two examples in my OP as to what I think would be circumstances which may well lead to depression. The point I was making was that I can't take millionaire footballers and a Prince seriously when they talk about having depression. They have no idea of the real world, no idea what it's like to struggle financially,they live in a world cocooned from reality. Danny Rose is an attention seeking individual.............boosting about the thousands he spends on a night out in London then talking about depression? Perhaps he should swap his life with someone on minimum wage and see what depression really is. If it is true that Man United pulled out of a deal to sign him because of doubts over his mental health who can blame them. Any industry would pull out of purchasing something for millions if they had doubts as to whether it would function correctly.

I don't doubt and I have enormous sympathy with people with mental health issues and I didn't say to the contrary in my OP. I've not had a particularly easy life myself but I guess I've dealt with it in my own way (by being a ******** many would say on here)!! But dare to express the 'wrong' view on NSC and get the full trendy liberal weight bearing down on you.

Acknowledge the amount of money you have and mental health are not necessarily but it don't half help I guess knowing 100k a week is gonna be rolling in for the 5 years.

Think Herr Tubthumper said 'many' rich footballers have committed suicide, I can think of Garry Speed but none others, would you enlighten me please?

[emoji122]Well done for daring to come back the thread with your explanation, many wouldn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here