Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The biggest problem affecting humanity is population growth. And the principal guilty parties are the Africans, Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and many of the Arab countries. The Earth's population is more than double what it was in 1970 and frankly the world can't cope.

As for the march? What kids wouldn't take time of school to march for/against something or other. Let's go! Some time off school! And as other posters have said, then they'll be ferried to/from school again after half term by their parents in 4x4s; they'll continue to buy fast food in non-recyclable containers; they'll continue to drop litter;.

Basically it's all a bunch of crap which will make not one iota of difference to the perceived problem.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ha ha, this in (kfc) buckets! The hypocrisy of people in general is truly nauseating, none of us are doing anywhere near enough and whilst they might feel good about, it’s all forgotten moments later as more important issues like Battle Royales take over as they’re collected in their Chelsea tractors and whisked away to Tuscany for HT. Call me a cynic, but I have no faith in humanity to prevent climate change by having less - including children. Better off throwing everything at technology to accommodate impacts eg giant space shields, colonising space, sea defences, GM food etc. These. are infinitely ‘easier’ things to do than asking 7billion people to consume less, share more, protect what’s left etc.

Look forward to seeing you on Dragon's Den......especially when they ask what ls the level of investment you need.

$1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and a lot more should do it. All return on investment would have to come from taxation barring a few philanthropists.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I assume you went ? And if so I assume you didn't book a day off work - you just didn't turn up ? I'm all for protest but not a SINGLE person on here has justified why this couldn't be held at the weekend ? Ahhhh ..... of course ..... not so many kids would have turned up !

Why should it be the weekend? There's no justification why it shouldn't have been today.

Taking a day off school is no way comparable to the future of the planet, so the argument against this being on a school day has no value.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why should it be the weekend? There's no justification why it shouldn't have been today.

Taking a day off school is no way comparable to the future of the planet, so the argument against this being on a school day has no value.

Nice avoidance of the question - so you went and didn't book the day off work ? You just didn't turn up at work ?

Maybe it should be the weekend so kids don't miss a day a school and give up a day of their own time to protest like most of us would have to do ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As for the march? What kids wouldn't take time of school to march for/against something or other. Let's go! Some time off school! And as other posters have said, then they'll be ferried to/from school again after half term by their parents in 4x4s; they'll continue to buy fast food in non-recyclable containers; they'll continue to drop litter;.

Basically it's all a bunch of crap which will make not one iota of difference to the perceived problem.

Oh dear. It's weird, you actively don't know what you're on about (the 4x4 stuff - just how clueless are you?), and you're happy to broadcast that fact to everyone. And then you have the brass neck to criticise the kids - the ones who do know what they're on about?

It's fairly apparent that you still haven't worked out - and I don't think you ever will - that it's the likes of you that they're protesting about; the ones who can't, don't and won't listen to those who DO know what they are on about, and go your on way because it suits you to be that selfish.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I assume you went ? And if so I assume you didn't book a day off work - you just didn't turn up ? I'm all for protest but not a SINGLE person on here has justified why this couldn't be held at the weekend ? Ahhhh ..... of course ..... not so many kids would have turned up !

Yeah, I've often wondered why people that strike don't do it on their day off. Damn inconvenient junior doctors, tube drivers, railway workers striking when it's busy. They should really do it in their own time, and minimise the impact of their action. That will take it to the man.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yeah, I've often wondered why people that strike don't do it on their day off. Damn inconvenient junior doctors, tube drivers, railway workers striking when it's busy. They should really do it in their own time, and minimise the impact of their action. That will take it to the man.

But strangely, people that strike actually tell their employer they are going to. They then don't get paid.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The biggest problem affecting humanity is population growth. And the principal guilty parties are the Africans, Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and many of the Arab countries. The Earth's population is more than double what it was in 1970 and frankly the world can't cope.

This about sums it up really...:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know what's worse; the number of people on here who don't understand the concept of a strike or the number who are oddly au fait with the school run, eating and holiday habits of every child in the country.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Agree 100%, Great it was in school time and we're all talking about it. CC is the biggest threat to all of us.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Complete waste of time, perhaps 1 billion out of 7.3 billion actually take responsibility for their own carbon and pollution footprint... north America and western Europe mostly. The rest just throw their shit in the sea, in the street... any hope of saving the planet, is lost,... 100 years this place won't have a functioning atmosphere... technology will be propping it up...... the sea will be dead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Oh dear. It's weird, you actively don't know what you're on about (the 4x4 stuff - just how clueless are you?), and you're happy to broadcast that fact to everyone. And then you have the brass neck to criticise the kids - the ones who do know what they're on about?

It's fairly apparent that you still haven't worked out - and I don't think you ever will - that it's the likes of you that they're protesting about; the ones who can't, don't and won't listen to those who DO know what they are on about, and go your on way because it suits you to be that selfish.

What all those kids that have mobile phones? :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But strangely, people that strike actually tell their employer they are going to. They then don't get paid.

You asked why it wasn't done at the weekend, of course the point is that a strike and/or protest is undertaken for the maximum impact / coverage.

Schools were told this was happening in advance, and all were able to prepare. Kids, as I understood it, signed out of school so the schools had a record of who was leaving, even if that was an unauthorised absence. So again, not sure what you point is?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

and generally from people you expected it from.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nice avoidance of the question - so you went and didn't book the day off work ? You just didn't turn up at work ?

Maybe it should be the weekend so kids don't miss a day a school and give up a day of their own time to protest like most of us would have to do ?

You didn't ask a question - you made a meaningless 'what about' statement (i.e. what about doing this on a weekend). And your attempt to deflect criticism my way because I didn't take a day off work also has no meaning.

I chose to go to work. The students and pupils chose to protest about their future. I am impressed with their organisation and numbers which represents a strength of feeling - one clearly not appreciated by many, including you, on here. All you've done is to attempt (and fail) to correlate me not going to work, and them not going to school. Irrelevant.

Each argument you make has little bearing on the main point. The main point is that they are protesting for their future - and you attempt a deflection of WHEN they do it. Meaningless.

In answer to your statement (the one you claim was a question) - they don't have to justify to you as to when this march is in order to make their point. So who are you (or who is anyone) to make that demand?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Some of the ignorant, dismissive and frankly offensive replies from people on here just shows WHY the you get generations are so hacked off! Then just look at the governments response! They call it disruptive!? REALLY?? So it is ok for them to be disruptive and **** the environment and do brexit but if kids take a day off school to protest about the mess they are being given it is not!? **** me, wake up people.

Gone on, admit it, you bunked off sixth form today didn't you ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Complete waste of time, perhaps 1 billion out of 7.3 billion actually take responsibility for their own carbon and pollution footprint... north America and western Europe mostly. The rest just throw their shit in the sea, in the street... any hope of saving the planet, is lost,... 100 years this place won't have a functioning atmosphere... technology will be propping it up...... the sea will be dead.

Justification for the protest in a nutshell.

It's like you wrote their team talk for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here