Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On the back of yesterday's debacle

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This with bells on.

We're having a very poor run, and Hughton does need to take a long hard look at how he is setting up his teams. It's all a bit predictable.

Also, the club need to admit that rather than buying players and loaning them back to their clubs, we need to instead be spending money on players that can come in to strengthen the team.

Hughton needs to stay. One day he'll need to say that he has taken the club as far as he can, but that day is not now. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

We need to get out of Blackheath first. :wink:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I said it before, nothing went right for us yesterday, nothing.

I reckon one of the Burnley players could have punched an official and it would have been brushed off as an accident, it was that sort of game - I'm still seething that Tarkowski didn't get so much as a yellow for the forearm smash into the back of Murray's head... though it seems to be his year for getting away with dirty stuff given he also got away with stamping on Laurent Depoitre a while back.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I reckon Tony Bloom and Paul Barber were up all night pondering over whether to sack Chris and looking at his emergency replacement ....or more likely bemoaning a shambles of refereeing decisions 2 man of match goalkeeping performances in last 2 games for opposition and believing that results will turn round

The league table don’t lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Thing is we’re not playing badly, over the Watford / Burnley games we’ve 40 shots, something like 12 or so on target. I don’t know what was happening behind the scenes at Norwich, but I don’t see our team not together and giving their all.

We’ve got plants of games to pick up points coming up, need to keep our heads and accept we’ve had a bad run that needs bringing to an end.

Yesterday you could clearly see players waving there arms about to each other . The most different thing I saw yesterday that says it all was when a Burnley player was down in the box with a few mins remaining the whole Burnley squad was around there manager listening on how to see the game out and what to do . What did hughton do ,stand on the edge on his area hands in pockets looking clueless while our players were all looking around it stood out as embarrassing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yesterday you could clearly see players waving there arms about to each other . The most different thing I saw yesterday that says it all was when a Burnley player was down in the box with a few mins remaining the whole Burnley squad was around there manager listening on how to see the game out and what to do . What did hughton do ,stand on the edge on his area hands in pockets looking clueless while our players were all looking around it stood out as embarrassing

You’ve really nailed why we lost there, Brighton players ready to get the game started ready to go, blatant gamesmanship from Burnley.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’ve just refreshed my memory about Hughton’s Norwich experience. It’s odd how his final season there seems to mirror our current situation. Norwich started well enough in the 2013/14 season and didn’t seem to be in any danger of relegation until a bad run of form in the latter stages.

Hughton was sacked with the team one place and five points above the drop zone. The sacking was remarkably late, coming in early April with only five matches remaining. They went on to take one point from those matches and were relegated.

Can we learn anything from this? Quite possibly not, as it’s a different club in a different time with a different set up. I guess “be careful what you wish for” is what I’d take from this. Mr Bloom has been loyal to his managers and is all about stability. Even if the unthinkable were to happen I’d be surprised if Hughton was shown the door. It’s taken Norwich five years to steady the ship. Burnley came back up at the first time of asking under Dyche.

It’s been a hugely frustrating season and feels like we’ve failed to kick on but I’ve still got complete confidence that those at the top have a clear plan for the club that will see us progress over the longer term.

I agree with you but I hope the plan includes buying a couple of solid, proven premier league players, with backbone and a desire to fight hard for 90 minutes. We experiment with prospects from overseas leagues and it has not yet proven successful enough overall. IMO.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I still believe we’ve got enough winnable games to stay up.

We all know we have winnable games, we have to win them though. Many people were saying about the opportunity to pick up wins in games at home to Watford and Burnley.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I’m intrigued. Do people really think we played badly against Watford (last match I went to). I must be gullible as I thought we played really well, especially second half.

There are many fans who are on edge ,whether that’s due to results or style. Even hen we were doing well and miles ahead on points a couple of months ago the style was for them dire and needed changing. They are twitching to pull the gun. Any wobble and it’s panic stations. Tony appears to have a clearer thought process

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This with bells on.

We're having a very poor run, and Hughton does need to take a long hard look at how he is setting up his teams. It's all a bit predictable.

Also, the club need to admit that rather than buying players and loaning them back to their clubs, we need to instead be spending money on players that can come in to strengthen the team.

Hughton needs to stay. One day he'll need to say that he has taken the club as far as he can, but that day is not now. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

You and [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] have cheered me up a bit, but even you guys note a need for change. I won't repeat myself again.....and I hope CH won't either.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We all know we have winnable games, we have to win them though. Many people were saying about the opportunity to pick up wins in games at home to Watford and Burnley.

Yes many would say that but Watford are 8th (and we could have won it, a draw was fine) and Burnley uneaten in 6 before us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The only way he keeps his job is by avoiding relegation, the prospect of a third season of tbf pretty dull football with the occasional top six upset is an entirely different discussion.

Very occasional. I knew being in the Premier League would be crap compared to the Championship, but I honestly thought we might nick a few more points here and there from the ‘big six’. Not a single away point from them, two home wins and two draws, not a single point away from home in 21 fixtures.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You’ve really nailed why we lost there, Brighton players ready to get the game started ready to go, blatant gamesmanship from Burnley.

Why we lost ? Burnley are the best at what they do . They get the job done within the laws of the game . Don’t like it anymore than anyone else but clueless Chris has hit his ceiling

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Maybe some of our players don’t respect Hughton and this club.
Getting battered out in Brighton is probably not a good idea currently.
Hopefully CH will have a quiet word

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

This. These winnable games are against:
Cardiff - beat us 2-1
Bournemouth - beat us 2-0
Southampton - salvaged a 2-2 draw with Mark Hughes in charge
Huddersfield - snatched a 2-1 win against 10 men of a historically poor team

I’m not hugely confident that the points are going to come rolling in, especially we now seem to have lost our home advantage.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve just refreshed my memory about Hughton’s Norwich experience. It’s odd how his final season there seems to mirror our current situation. Norwich started well enough in the 2013/14 season and didn’t seem to be in any danger of relegation until a bad run of form in the latter stages.

Hughton was sacked with the team one place and five points above the drop zone. The sacking was remarkably late, coming in early April with only five matches remaining. They went on to take one point from those matches and were relegated.

Can we learn anything from this? Quite possibly not, as it’s a different club in a different time with a different set up. I guess “be careful what you wish for” is what I’d take from this. Mr Bloom has been loyal to his managers and is all about stability. Even if the unthinkable were to happen I’d be surprised if Hughton was shown the door. It’s taken Norwich five years to steady the ship. Burnley came back up at the first time of asking under Dyche.

It’s been a hugely frustrating season and feels like we’ve failed to kick on but I’ve still got complete confidence that those at the top have a clear plan for the club that will see us progress over the longer term.
Just check who those last 4/5 games were against though. Norwich were down before they sacked Chris.
Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal

They got their only point in the last available 15 at Fulham.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But is he though in the Premier League? I don't think anybody knows.

At the moment he has brought this team to the point he brought his previous teams. He hasn't gone beyond this so we have no idea i he can.

But are we in a position to move on in terms of personnel?

At year 5, if we were in the PL at the same level perhaps I’d agree.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
4-4-2 is the way Burnley play even away from home and it works as our midfield went missing ( How did Propose get MOM ?)
We had no answer to there game plan and CH should take a good look at their tactics and copy it.
Pressing high, contest every ball and always have someone available on the last defenders shoulder in case he makes a mistake or is available for a quick counter attack.
It's not pretty but it's effective as we now know.

We had no plan B yesterday and it wasn't even a game the Andone could have been effective

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
4-4-2 is the way Burnley play even away from home and it works as our midfield went missing ( How did Propper get MOM ?)
We had no answer to there game plan and CH should take a good look at their tactics and copy it.
Pressing high, contest every ball and always have someone available on the last defenders shoulder in case he makes a mistake or is available for a quick counter attack.
It's not pretty but it's effective as we now know.

We had no plan B yesterday and it wasn't even a game the Andone could have been effective

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here