Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Watford?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No knee-jerk changes to formations, etc. Just a couple of personnel changes, if fitness allows.

Ryan is our best keeper. He plays.

Bruno / Montoya, I'm fairly ambivalent about. Both decent enough.
Dunk and Duffy obviously play. They've been immense for three years. Anyone suggesting breaking them up because of 45 dodgy minutes needs their bumps read.
Bernardo comes in if available. Bong is the only option otherwise, with Suttner (and Cox) both out on loan.

Pröpper, unquestionably. Comfortably our best player right now.
Stephens wasn't great last night, but he's tried and trusted. He'll play. Personally, I think Kayal offers plenty.
Groß keeps his place. Even playing deeper where he is less effective, he's still involved in most good things we do.

March is nailed on. Surely even the slowest of thinking now understand why, after the second half last night?
Murray - top scorer, off the back of two more. Super Glenn.
Somebody other than Locadia. Alireza if we're happy he's ready. Or Gyokeres if CH is happy that he understands his responsibilities within the system. Or Knockaert, if Duffy takes him aside before the game and tells him he will kill him if he acts the **** again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ryan

Bruno Duffy Dunk Bernardo (if fit)
Kayal Stephens Propper
Gross Murray March

The first priority after last night has to be to steady the defence down. I think we look more solid when Bruno is there, mainly because he talks Duffy through the game. Bong is usually reasonably tidy at home, although I agree that he's becoming a liability in away matches. Gross isn't happy doing defensive duties so put him further forward because his delivery is still good even though he has no pace. Locadia and March are both average in creative terms but March will at least cover back. I love Bissouma but I'm not sure I trust him yet. Alireza remains an enigma. He needs a big moment, maybe as a sub.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Ryan

Bruno Duffy Dunk Bernardo (if fit)
Kayal Stephens Propper
Gross Murray March

The first priority after last night has to be to steady the defence down. I think we look more solid when Bruno is there, mainly because he talks Duffy through the game. Bong is usually reasonably tidy at home, although I agree that he's becoming a liability in away matches. Gross isn't happy doing defensive duties so put him further forward because his delivery is still good even though he has no pace. Locadia and March are both average in creative terms but March will at least cover back. I love Bissouma but I'm not sure I trust him yet. Alireza remains an enigma. He needs a big moment, maybe as a sub.
Don't care who he picks providing he tells them they don't get paid if they lose

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Can't see any team being overly worried about visiting toothless Amex given our current form, regardless of the team selection.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watford are currently 17/10 for the win...

Just sayin'

They're decent away from home, recently beating West Ham, drawing with Bournemouth, beating Palace. For all that though, they've won 2 more than us, and scored 5 more goals. We've beaten Everton and Wolves who are above them in the table, beaten West Ham and drew with Leicester. We have a decent enough record at home against the PL midfield.

It's got the makings of a cracker, and I for one I'm looking forward to it.*

*what with me being a happy clapper and all...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They're decent away from home, recently beating West Ham, drawing with Bournemouth, beating Palace. For all that though, they've won 2 more than us, and scored 5 more goals. We've beaten Everton and Wolves who are above them in the table, beaten West Ham and drew with Leicester. We have a decent enough record at home against the PL midfield.

It's got the makings of a cracker, and I for one I'm looking forward to it.*

*what with me being a happy clapper and all...

We very rarely get beat at home by the midtable fodder (only Leicester last season being the exception) so if Watford do turn us over, it would certainly go against the grain. Saturday is all about how we react to the most catastrophic and embarrassing half-hour of soccering buffoonery in our recent history.

Is our confidence now fatally breached ? Or do we come STORMING back and put it right ? There's only one way to find out...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We very rarely get beat at home by the midtable fodder (only Leicester last season being the exception) so if Watford do turn us over, it would certainly go against the grain. Saturday is all about how we react to the most catastrophic and embarrassing half-hour of soccering buffoonery in our recent history.

Is our confidence now fatally breached ? Or do we come STORMING back and put it right ? There's only one way to find out...

Yes, with Harvey's in my blood stream! :albion2::drink:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I won’t claim to be at the game last night but just watched the highlights. It would not be exaggerating to say we could and maybe should have had at least 4 or even 5 in the first half. GM also had a great chance in the second. I know it was disappointing but calls for wholesale changes are not right in my opinion.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I won’t claim to be at the game last night but just watched the highlights. It would not be exaggerating to say we could and maybe should have had at least 4 or even 5 in the first half. GM also had a great chance in the second. I know it was disappointing but calls for wholesale changes are not right in my opinion.

how do we make 'wholesale' changes with the squad we have ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I firmly believe the problem is the formation. I don't think it suits any of the wingers or full backs we have. I'm reverting us to 4-4-1-1

Ryan - Poor yesterday, but he's done enough to keep his position over the last 18 months.

Montoya - marginal selection call, but just about plays as Bruno didn't play well against WBA
Bong - Bernardo won't be fit so plays by default. Will have Solly in front of him so will be better protected
Dunk - must play
Duffy - must play

Stephens - Our best holding midfielder and i've got us reverting to only 2 cm's, so must play
Propper - Davy is getting towards first name on the team sheet territory
March - Our most consistent, (but still not very consistent) winger. He plays on the left. No place for Locadia
Knockeart - He's not in form at all. But he know's Ali J is coming back, (Izquierdo too at some point). Colossal game for him and I think he'll nail it.

Gross - Get your best player in his best position

Murray - Rightly has the shirt after his goals. Andone after 60 mins

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I firmly believe the problem is the formation. I don't think it suits any of the wingers or full backs we have. I'm reverting us to 4-4-1-1

Ryan - Poor yesterday, but he's done enough to keep his position over the last 18 months.

Montoya - marginal selection call, but just about plays as Bruno didn't play well against WBA
Bong - Bernardo won't be fit so plays by default. Will have Solly in front of him so will be better protected
Dunk - must play
Duffy - must play

Stephens - Our best holding midfielder and i've got us reverting to only 2 cm's, so must play
March - Our most consistent, (but still not very consistent) winger. He plays on the left. No place for Locadia
Knockeart - He's not in form at all. But he know's Ali J is coming back, (Izquierdo too at some point). Colossal game for him and I think he'll nail it.

This would be my take on things. It's very similar to the sides which have won us the majority of our points. Gross is our greatest player with the ability to unlock a defence so we should build a team around his strengths.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I thought it unfortunate that Button was dropped in favour of Ryan so soon after his return especially as Button had performed admiral in Ryan's absence

To me Locardia leaves Montoya a little to exposed at times not saying he should be dropped but this aspect of his fame needs improvement

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Dunk - must play
Duffy - must play

Knockeart / Locadia - tough one. Locadia has shown match winning potential. Knockeart, he looks the part but his decision making in the final third is dreadful at times. Not sure I can call it between the 2.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I thought it unfortunate that Button was dropped in favour of Ryan so soon after his return especially as Button had performed admiral in Ryan's absence

To me Locardia leaves Montoya a little to exposed at times not saying he should be dropped but this aspect of his fame needs improvement

How does our LW leave our RB exposed - do you mean Bong?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
If I had the choice to make the first name I would look to replace would be Bong. I know he has served the club well but he just does not cut it for me , too inconsistent and often at fault I think I would rather see Burn , Balogun or even the U23's LB in the team instead.
Midfield I would stick with the current formation simply because March & Knocky should not both play at the same time unless Ali J is seen as up to speed at least for a subs place as we simply dont have any other wide players. The one thing I would change is personnel with Gross playing the holding role & Propper & Bissouma slightly ahead with more freedom to attack. Hopefully this would improve the distribution and cut out a lot of the silly free kicks given away and stop some of the on pitch arguments that were apparent during the Fulham game specifically Stephens and Duffy. For me Stephens picking up so many cards is a liability even if yellow as it means he then is on a tightrope and cant do his job of protecting the back line properly.
Although I would prefer not to have Locadia on the left wing as he simply does not do enough tracking back he is the best option at present unless Ali J is up to speed and can play then I would have Ali J on the right and March on the left. Cant argue against Murray starting especially after a brace against Fulham but the time has to come sooner rather than later that Andone is given a true run in the team starting every game after all its the only way to know how good he really is. Personally I would start Andone and have Locadia as the second choice at some point but maybe after we gain some more points then Murray can slowly go into the shadows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here