Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] North Stand Scudmore Protest

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To answer El Pres question re who / what is average fan in PL

… when walking back to Bridge car park yesterday when got to road by car park was accosted by a bloke with large BHA brown paper bag from shop who may look like any other fan …

… he then asked me where the train station is … ( having walked straight past it )

… oh and he was clearly from USA re his accent

… 18 years ago at Halifax away the average fan was somewhat different … and there weren't very many either

… all about "global reach" now

Is that what constitutes an 'average fan'?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
summed up well.

With the high pricing having led to an evolution in the fanbase attending games now. The low paid and genuinely unemployed, have been squeezed out, replaced by more folk who have good incomes. All well and good some people say, the games changed and we now watch world class players in great stadia. But the PL club financial model is not dependent on high ticket pricing and what a shame to see lifelong supporters from the ‘wrong side of the tracks’ squeezed out. Not an anti Albion point, but aimed at most PL clubs.

It's not just about the ticket price though, the club want fans to spend money at the ground as well so even if you lower ticket prices, the less well off will spend less at the concessions. I'm not sure what it is now but I believe there was a stat somewhere when we were in the championship that our fans spent more per head at the ground than any other club (stand to be corrected).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You’d better not think of taking them to see a top band or top London show then.

This. It’s sadly the going rate nowadays.

I was looking at going to a rap battle event in London earlier this month. It was being held by arguably the biggest battle rap league in the world, and it was the first time they’d been in England so I was expecting to be paying a fair whack. However at £85 a ticket I decided not to go. Still sold out though... and a live PPV at £50 a pop sold thousands of copies too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Easy to turn on the owners and leaders but you really need to turn your attention to the wages paid to those on the pitch.

It creates a culture of greed where everyone else wants a piece.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Easy to turn on the owners and leaders but you really need to turn your attention to the wages paid to those on the pitch.

It creates a culture of greed where everyone else wants a piece.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

I think you actually need to look at the people that fund those wages.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Respect to Huddersfield in low season ticket prices at £249 per adult.

How much financial damage would it do the Albion to have large zones capped at say £300?
Good idea but the money for Barber's pay rise has to come from somewhere...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The most recent research showed the average age of someone attending a Premier League match is 41.

Whereas the average (median) age of the UK population in Nov 2018 is 40.2. The average age of a PL game attendee is 9 months older than the average age of the population as a whole.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It does feel a bit as if this forum is turning into a tabloid/talksport load of shite. Lots of nonsense & shouting and no interest in facts.

Yep thats twitter shite for you, its infecting multiple users like a cancer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You’d better not think of taking them to see a top band or top London show then.

At least you’d get some entertainment at a gig.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It raises an interesting question. What/who is the average fan in the Premier League?

It’s certainly not the man on the street like myself.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Stop moaning everybody

What you need to do is get old.
My Huddersfield ticket was only £20.

Job done[emoji106]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not just about the ticket price though, the club want fans to spend money at the ground as well so even if you lower ticket prices, the less well off will spend less at the concessions. I'm not sure what it is now but I believe there was a stat somewhere when we were in the championship that our fans spent more per head at the ground than any other club (stand to be corrected).

At least that spending can be curtailed by the individual, whilst they still get to see their Albion.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just seen this on Twitter
01420140ce4b7298fd569f0db94af508.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This all smacks of being a bit palacey for my liking.

I assume the NSK didn't celebrated promotion, as they knew what the the club were going into.
If you assumed that then you're an idiot.

But the fact is, after the novelty wears off, seasons of seeing your side making up the numbers, with the club eventually behaving like it's terrified of relegation is going to grate after a while. We're in a situation where the Premier league riches are so far ahead of the Championship that a) high ticket prices are justified by the club because of the quality of football on offer and b) we are all paying millionaires with multi-million pound transfer fees to sit on the bench because to play them is deemed too risky. You could also argue that it also serves the utterly crap usual suspects (Pardew, Hughes etc) on the oh so tedious managerial merry go round because they presumably turn up at interviews and preach that they know what it takes to stay in the league, as if the experience of being mediocre is somehow a good thing.

As for the cost, it is now eye-watering unless you are a STH (I had to give mine up a few years ago). Even if you don't need Bronze membership, tickets are still very expensive as [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] makes clear. The flippant comparisons to see Steps reunion tours are absurd, IMO, unless we've got to the point that for non-STH we feel it is right only to expect a working person to be able to watch their team as a special treat, once or twice a season.

Meanwhile I'll be taking my son to Twickenham for a Premiership rugby game on 29th Dec for £25 for both of us. Some will sneer at this I'm sure as it's "only rugby", but if Premier League football does the same, it'll end up disappearing up it's own arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here