Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Long

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Both Long and Rodriguez are likely to be off from Saints. The latter probably more talented, but the former more reliable / consistent / proven. Either or even both could do a job.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Both Long and Rodriguez are likely to be off from Saints. The latter probably more talented, but the former more reliable / consistent / proven. Either or even both could do a job.

How comes they are not needed? Both scored last weekend.. (or maybe long just missed a penalty)

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Would be very happy with Jay Rodriguez if he is properly over his injury issues, but not fussed about Shane Long at all. As far as I can see he has never been prolific and doesnt appear to be the instinctive finisher that we probably need.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
How comes they are not needed? Both scored last weekend.. (or maybe long just missed a penalty)

Nothing official, but the feeling among the Saints locals is that for both their time at the club is up. Both would be available for a small fee and both would be open to a new club.

Jay Rod needs a fresh start where he can get more games and isn't tarnished with the injury prone brush he's picked up there. Long at this stage in his career needs to start more games than he's been getting there recently as well. Saints expect to spend on their attack this summer (because it's the bit of their team that's crap) so chances for both would become further limited.

Funnell

Jan 10, 2012
Works hard but doesn't score enough goals, would rather stick with Baldock who can probably do similar and spend elsewhere - probably on fairly big wages too

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is the obsession with Shane Long? In 15 seasons of Championship and Premier League football he has scored more than 10 league goals just once in a season in the Championship. His record as an out and out striker just does't stack up. He's no no.10 either. Not for me.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nothing official, but the feeling among the Saints locals is that for both their time at the club is up. Both would be available for a small fee and both would be open to a new club.

Jay Rod needs a fresh start where he can get more games and isn't tarnished with the injury prone brush he's picked up there. Long at this stage in his career needs to start more games than he's been getting there recently as well. Saints expect to spend on their attack this summer (because it's the bit of their team that's crap) so chances for both would become further limited.

And do you think we should pay to take the ''crap'' off their hands ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am slightly perplexed that we are ''drooling'' over players who don't seem to have cut it elsewhere and that we should be looking at players who are surplus to requirements elsewhere.

We are now a PL team in our own right and we should be after players that teams DON'T want to lose, whether it be from abroad or in the UK

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Long is a great athlete, bursts of speed and stamina, but his PL failing is considered to be his lack of tucking chances away.

Goals will keep us up. Long doesn't deliver on that front.

Exactly this. He's a source of frustration for most Southampton fans I know for this very reason. Not an unpopular player but should be sticking a few more away than he does.

I am slightly perplexed that we are ''drooling'' over players who don't seem to have cut it elsewhere and that we should be looking at players who are surplus to requirements elsewhere.

We are now a PL team in our own right and we should be after players that teams DON'T want to lose, whether it be from abroad or in the UK
And indeed this. It's silly season. I'm guessing we'll be doing most of our shopping abroad anyway, where prices are a lot more reasonable!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Shane Long is 30 and his Prem record is 1 in 5 - no thanks.

Jay Rodriguez would be a good signing but he's halfway through a 4-year deal so not likely.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Either could do a job but that is what they would be doing a job. Goals will make or break our season and if we are going to spend serious money anywhere, upfront is where it needs to be. If our forwards get close to 20 goals next season we will go down, if they get close to 40 we will stay up, the most important area to strengthen bar none...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think we need to be more ambitious that going for Long - if we could have got him into our championship squad, fair enough. But now we are Premier League I think our money could be spent better. I don't know much about Rodriguez but would hope we can get a more experienced player to see us through out initial fight taking us up to Christmas. We need to have consolidated by then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thonk we need to be more ambitious that going for Long - if we could have got him into our championship squad, fair enough. But now we are Premier League I think our money could be spent better. I don't know much about Rodriguez but would hope we can get a more experienced player to see us through out initial fight taking us up to Christmas. We need to have consolidated by then.

Rodriguez was in the England squad and only missed 2014 world cup due to ACL injury.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He'd be a great signing if we were looking to fight for promotion from the Championship next year. But we've just done that. Aim higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here