Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford to season ticket holders: Tell us if you're not turning up - or face a ban

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do Watford ST's include FA Cup games?

So tell us if you can't attend and we'll either re-sell the seat(s), with profits going to our Community Trust to support their work, or we will allocate the seat(s) to local good causes.

So when they do resell, profits go to good causes rather than the club.

Doubt it. I interested that as making the point that when the ground was full - because everyone had to buy a ticket for the match so went to it - the atmosphere was better than for their league games, where there are a lot of stay aways.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I see where you're coming from but it's a hell of a lot more expensive and I'd imagine some may not be able to afford to go to most games without a ST.
It’s only £10 more than championship tickets barring top 4 games so that’s not really an argument. We have two ST in the family and trying to get the third is mission impossible even though we buy a ticket for every home game.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Because Watford put/add this into the T&Cs does NOT mean it is legally enforceable. No doubt plenty of people will fall for it, but a contract between two parties, one of which is Joe Public, has to be seen as ‘reasonable’ by a court of law. Yes you would need the balls to go to court, but having paid for something it is entirely your choice if you use it or not.

PS Paul Barber will be rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of this.

Question is, who technically 'owns' the season ticket? Does the seat represent something belonging to the Club, that the fan is paying for the privilege to use during each home game; or is is owned outright by the supporter? Perhaps that fine line determines how far the Club can go in the Ts & Cs.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Question is, who technically 'owns' the season ticket? Does the seat represent something belonging to the Club, that the fan is paying for the privilege to use during each home game; or is is owned outright by the supporter? Perhaps that fine line determines how far the Club can go in the Ts & Cs.

The Ts&Cs refer to what happens at ST renewal time. Watford are quite within their rights to decide that they don't want to sell a ST to anyone at all for any reason they choose.

Fan: I'd like to renew my season ticket for next year please.
Watford FC: No, we don't want to sell you one.

There's nothing the fan could do.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It’s only £10 more than championship tickets barring top 4 games so that’s not really an argument. We have two ST in the family and trying to get the third is mission impossible even though we buy a ticket for every home game.

I think you misunderstood - as season ticket is around half as much per match as paying on a match by match basis and is available on a 12-month interest free direct debit, so far more affordable than paying for individual matches.

It is (as per away tickets) difficult to determine who should have priority though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...on-ticket-holder-warning-miss-game-lose-seat/

WATFORD have warned season ticket holders they must tell them if they are not going to a game — or they could be STRIPPED of their seat.

The Hornets claim fans — who could have shelled out more than £700 — have an obligation to inform them if they cannot turn up so they can resell the tickets.

WTAF?!

From my Watford supporting neighbour.

'Its if you miss more than 2 games and dont tell them, they will speak to you and ask why.
If you've got a good enough reason, all will be okay'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From my Watford supporting neighbour.

'Its if you miss more than 2 games and dont tell them, they will speak to you and ask why.
If you've got a good enough reason, all will be okay'

"If its any of your business:

1. I was away on holiday
2. I had to work
3. I was ill
4. My mum died.

- so what now ?"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

1. I was away on holiday
2. I had to work
3. I was ill
4. My mum died.

- so what now ?"

Basically most footy fans, do have a life outside the team they support, and the that club should know this IMO

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Weather has been remarkably favourable.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

1. I was away on holiday
2. I had to work
3. I was ill
4. My mum died.

- so what now ?"

They just want to encourage people to list their tickets for re-sale so they have more bums on seats. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, especially when it was a common grumble from their fans about empty seats.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A not very interesting fact that wont much counter your suggestion is that since Meade Jr appeared, quite wondrously, the season ticket has been in considerable less usage, but, my aim is to mainly go to games not against the big 6. I'd rather see a battle between us and those below them, which could go either way, rather than fighting and holding on for our dear lives. Watching City or Liverpool go about their business incessantly doesn't intrigue. I have plans for Burnley in a few weeks, and Norwich or Everton shortly after.
See? Not very interesting. But there you have it.

This 100%. Absolutely zero interest in the annual Citeh walkover, where petro$’s rule every time. Games against Stains etc are far more interesting as we actually have a chance.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I didn't get down as much as I wanted last season as the move was very difficult and took a lot of time (annual leave) but hoping to more this - it's fits and starts really.

Cheers, I’d like to keep my season ticket but not sure how realistic it is, probably try it for a season and se what happens.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
These things are not always a negative. Some dialogue with the club around season ticket holders, going off to UNI, might be helpful. Season Ticket prices for small children are not that expensive that a school night football ban will break the bank.

We all know that there are people who share a season ticket. It allows them to sit with mates, pick and choose games and not pay the cost of single tickets. My eldest gave up his season ticket to go to Uni, rapidly realised what he was missing and went back on the waiting list. This season he has been fortunate enough to get his old seat back. Son number 2 has kept his season ticket, which is currently underutilised as he is working Saturdays, before going off to Uni. The hassle of surrendering it and re-applying, versus the risk he may decide to start a career the other side of the world. All of that is my problem, but you can't simply pass on an Under 21 ticket anyway. Technically this is far worse than being caught using someone else's season ticket, as you are also defrauding the club and of course the barrier will beep to denote a concession ticket. The right and proper thing to do, (max 6 times a season), is to go into the club shop (there is no other option) and pay for a ticket upgrade. This is not cheap and is major hassle.
You dont have to go to club shop to upgrade aST. I have just done it via supporter services on the phone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You pays your money, you takes your choice. Some people will always struggle to make evening games (although we don't get so many of those in the PL thankfully). But if I had to start getting a note from my mum every time I wasn't attending a game, I think I'd end up just telling them to DO one. They've got my money - whether I go or not is entirely my choice and if I don't or can't make it, for whatever reason, then that is entirely my business. I don't have to justify anything to anyone else. If I was a Watford fan I'd be bloody furious at this.

Would you apply the same principle if you had the loyalty points to get a ticket for every away game, but chose not to attend any?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cheers, I’d like to keep my season ticket but not sure how realistic it is, probably try it for a season and se what happens.

Forgot you were moving up. Is it any closer to happening? Saw a guy in a full Palace kit the other day. After vomiting in my mouth a little asked him his story and he said he'd kept his for two years before giving it up.
It's certainly handy for the away tickets at the moment but they're pretty tricky for me with childcare anyway.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
But often seats put into the exchange do not sell. The sell side of the exchange may not even become active. It might not happen for tomorrow's game.

Last week, for example, over 800 seats became available around 9pm on Friday evening when the sell side of the exchange was made active. I didn't look close to kick-off, but I'm guessing a fair proportion of those didn't sell. Were those tickets "used" given the ST holders tried to do the right thing?

Especially as before the exchange kicks in the club generally tweets something like "this match is now sold out" which surely must discourage people from checking the ticketing site!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

1. I was away on holiday
2. I had to work
3. I was ill
4. My mum died.

- so what now ?"

Wow. Sounds like you had a good start to the week but it just got worse and worse. :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worth remembering Vicarage Road only holds 20k (ish).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They just want to encourage people to list their tickets for re-sale so they have more bums on seats. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, especially when it was a common grumble from their fans about empty seats.

If I can't make it, then I pass my ticket on to a mate. Not for resale, I just say get us a pint sometime. But a bum is therefore still on my seat on matchday. Its just the "done thing" in our circle - its very rare a ticket goes begging. It might give PB an aneurysm, but in the real world, thats just how folks do this.

Would you apply the same principle if you had the loyalty points to get a ticket for every away game, but chose not to attend any?

Yes. Having loyalty points isn't a bloody OBLIGATION to go ffs. It may startle some readers, but BHA is not actually the beginning and ending of life itself. Other things do actually occur outside of the fixture list. Some planned, some unplanned. Family. Holidays. Illness. Work obligations. Cashflow.

The day I have to start officially justifying to BHA a reason why I didn't rock up with my season ticket to a game, under threat of them binning me off, is (I think) the day I'd end up giving it the finger. Its just not on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here