[Cricket] England vs Australia Third Ashes Test - Leeds 22nd-26th August 2019

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Correct. Although David Smith was with Worcestershire when he played for England. He didn't play a Test in the tour at the end of the decade.

Tony Pigott was the other player as [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] called.

So we need the 1992 call up.

I thought David Smith was called into the test team on a West Indies tour whilst a Sussex player ?

*Edit. Called up to replace Graham Gooch but broke his thumb in a tour match and never played a test as a Sussex player !

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Since I've been watching Sussex, I've seen 13 players receive an England cap while playing for the county - can pick a team though, I'm an opener short.

I can, however, pick a team of Sussex players who played for England but not while they played for Sussex

Athey
Smith
Prideaux
Joyce
Adams
Reeve
Ambrose
Shahzad
Arnold
Giddens
Panesar

Not the best of test teams - that's Sussex for you, a team of cast-offs

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Since I've been watching Sussex, I've seen 13 players receive an England cap while playing for the county - can pick a team though, I'm an opener short.

I can, however, pick a team of Sussex players who played for England but not while they played for Sussex

Athey
Smith
Prideaux
Joyce
Adams
Reeve
Ambrose
Shahzad
Arnold
Giddens
Panesar

Not the best of test teams - that's Sussex for you, a team of cast-offs

Which means my belief that Salisbury was next after Piggott is incorrect. Reeve played on the New Zealand tour earlier in 1992.

Edit: My pride may be salvaged. Wasn't he with Warwickshire at the time ? Yes, hence being in your cast off team.

Pretty sure Adams was with Sussex when he played for England.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Which means my belief that Salisbury was next after Piggott is incorrect. Reeve played on the New Zealand tour earlier in 1992.

Edit: My pride may be salvaged. Wasn't he with Warwickshire at the time ? Yes, hence being in your cast off team.

Pretty sure Adams was with Sussex when he played for England.

Adams made his debut in South Africa 99/00 tour. Came in with Michael Vaughan also making his debut with the score around 25/5. Also recall it was Scottish spin sensation Gavin Hamilton’s one and only cap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:lolol:

I always had a catch phrase when I bowled. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may remember.

'If you're going to bowl a full toss always bowl it straight'

The phrase was subject to much mimicry. But I challenge anyone to contradict it !

Indeed. Not only do I remember the phrase and the general joining in by the whole team but I can vividly remember getting out bowled, lbw and caught to full tosses during what passed for my cricketing career.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pivotal day in the series today I think. The bowlers have done their job pretty well, so we now really need the batting line up to perform and post a big first innings total.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You just know England aren’t going to do it the easy way and score a nice 350/400 to basically put the game beyond the Aussies, all out for 267, advantage but wouldn’t put them out the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You just know England aren’t going to do it the easy way and score a nice 350/400 to basically put the game beyond the Aussies, all out for 267, advantage but wouldn’t put them out the game.

I'd probably take a lead of around 100 the way we've batted in the series so far to be honest..........................we SHOULD, though, kill the game in the next day and half.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

So very true. I was kind of hoping 400 and something by tea tomorrow, declare soon after tea, a couple of wickets before end of play, clean them up on day 4, and a casual stroll to victory on Monday :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
England have had a 1st innings lead in both tests so far and haven't won either of them. We'll certainly get a lead in this one too but I wouldn't have said that winning is a gimme

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pivotal day in the series today I think. The bowlers have done their job pretty well, so we now really need the batting line up to perform and post a big first innings total.

Roy b Cummins c Paine 3 fow 4-1

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Roy b Cummins c Paine 3 fow 4-1

Like your confidence.

England must try to bat four sessions, keep the Aussies in the field as long as possible. The weather is set fair and we should have a couple of days of the wicket getting harder before it starts to break up. We need another Burns type innings of head down and graft, a Boycott type innings at the home of Boycott.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like your confidence.

England must try to bat four sessions, keep the Aussies in the field as long as possible. The weather is set fair and we should have a couple of days of the wicket getting harder before it starts to break up. We need another Burns type innings of head down and graft, a Boycott type innings at the home of Boycott.

I refer you to my previous post !

Obviously I would love to be proved wrong but....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
278 - 3 at close

Head.JPG

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports