Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Favourite top 3 UK breweries ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Harvey's, jennings, black sheep. Saltaire is creeping up though

With you on Saltaire, obviously NOT on Harvey's ! been to Jennings land, many times, even walked past the brewery in Cockermouth and I find it bang average beer, Coniston, Hawkshead and Ulverston are all far superior in the Lake District.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do think the Kasteel Rouge is Cherry cola for grown ups. Not saying I don’t like it mind. The Kasteel Christmas (donkey) is top quaffing. Ah Tongerlo .......
The beer that made me climb a 15 foot statue in Antwerp.

Ah but that's only 8 and a bit foot for you ! you had a head start..... might be doing one more sentimental run to Vanuxeem mid October before the Iron Curtain falls …. fancy riding shotgun ?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Sorry gotta be boring I love my Harveys, I need to make a trip home I am down to my last bottle (yes bottle, try getting a keg here!) of Best, too scared to open it as It might be well past its prime. I need to look into whether or not I can get a six pack or two shipped over. Even found a few recipes two grew my own, but I need to smuggle some beer out of a keg and try to get the yeast from it, next trip home will have a chat to the guys at the Half Way House.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah but that's only 8 and a bit foot for you ! you had a head start..... might be doing one more sentimental run to Vanuxeem mid October before the Iron Curtain falls …. fancy riding shotgun ?

Am away for a while in Oct but basically YES.
And for the record I think cherry liquor in Kasteel is cheating.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Am away for a while in Oct but basically YES.
And for the record I think cherry liquor in Kasteel is cheating.

Right... will keep you posted !

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Aston Manor, Brookfield Drinks and Wellpark brewery.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Long Man, Burning Sky, Gun.

Long Man do little tours of the brewery now followed by tasting their brews from the cask or bottles, great value at £15 and you can purchase further ales with a 15% voucher.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Since the loss of several breweries to Chinese and Japanese owners Dark Star, Fullers, Green King, HSB, London Pride to name just a few are no longer British owned, so my favourite local breweries that are still indipendat are Gun, Arundel, Burning Sky,

Er Fullers brews London Pride and HSB they’re not different breweries

Oh as an aside Fullers is not owned by the Japanese as such, it’s owned by Asahi UK Ltd who bought it in good hard English cash.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Based purely on consumption:

Thornbridge for Jaipur alone
Brewdog (everything except Quench Quake)
Draw between Palmers (pre match in The Swan), Harvey's (post match plus concourse time) and Brighton Bier.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Top 3 Australian

Gage Roads (WA)
Feral (WA)
Bentspoke (ACT)

Hot 100 Craft Beers ; https://www.gabsfestival.com/h100-2018-aus-main-list

Pale Ale and variants of it, particularly APA, tend to dominate the list.

My Top 3

Don't know whether Australian Craft Beer has ever been covered in the **** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****
but there are some very tasty brews being served up and I'd say the Western Australia breweries punch well above their weight when it comes to quality offerings.
Little Creatures, which originates from Freemantle (now ultimately owned by parent Kirin), have just opened a London microbrewery in the Coal Drops Yard precinct adjacent to St Pancras Station.
Food there is good too - offers more than just the standard beer soaking burgers and wings,

Attachments

• Craft Beers.png
    Craft Beers.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 139

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dark Star ( despite changes)
Burning sky
gun

All good barrelled beer in Shoreham regularly

Jaipur is superb, I actually prefer it from a bottle.

Beaver town, tiny rebel etc are all nice but either fizzy or tinned, so don't count

Honourable mentions go to Hopback summer lightning, the daddy of pale ales for me, Smiles exhibition ( Brizzle) for an altered state day/night at Glastonbury many many years ago, and little creatures, the Aussies can make beer.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Er Fullers brews London Pride and HSB they’re not different breweries

Oh as an aside Fullers is not owned by the Japanese as such, it’s owned by Asahi UK Ltd who bought it in good hard English cash.

They were sold as such under the overarching umbrella of Fullers where it was promised they would all retain there indipendance Gales them moved to London where HSB was poorly produced, Dark Star production has largely moved away from Sussex and it's quality has been affected since then Fullers has been sold to Asahi uk under the Asahi Japanese parent company these beers indipendace is set to be diluted further still, good old English cash exchanged at very favourable rates from good old Japanese Yen

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Top 3 Australian

Gage Roads (WA)
Feral (WA)
Bentspoke (ACT)

Hot 100 Craft Beers ; https://www.gabsfestival.com/h100-2018-aus-main-list

Pale Ale and variants of it, particularly APA, tend to dominate the list.

My Top 3

Don't know whether Australian Craft Beer has ever been covered in the **** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****
but there are some very tasty brews being served up and I'd say the Western Australia breweries punch well above their weight when it comes to quality offerings.
Little Creatures, which originates from Freemantle (now ultimately owned by parent Kirin), have just opened a London microbrewery in the Coal Drops Yard precinct adjacent to St Pancras Station.
Food there is good too - offers more than just the standard beer soaking burgers and wings,
Went to Oz back end of last year for my sons wedding and was expecting a Fosters Castlemaine onslaught. How wrong I was as they have a fantastic selection of craft ales

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thornbridge
Dark Star

And I can't believe 6 pages deep that no one has mentioned Bristol Beer Factory! Not sure they make a beer that I have tried that I don't like.

Honorable mentions go to Eight Arch (Corbell is an unreal beer) and Burning Sky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here