Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Alcoholic/like a beer or two too much?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
StillHateBellotti;901238 6 said:
I will try and watch that on catch up. I am now 4 weeks down, feeling great, slowly losing weight in the gym and even have a few quid in the bank��. It’s hard but I have medication to take which really helps prevent the cravings.

It's a fascinating and very honest account of habitual drinking at a level way over what any health professional would describe as 'safe' but at a level which I am sure many of us on here would recognise in ourselves. I certainly did and it was enough to prompt me to take action in a way that no amount of "Please drink responsibly" labelling ever would. So far as I was concerned, I was drinking responsibly. I never got drunk, I was never sick, I didn't drink and drive, I only ever drank in the evenings and I knew when to stop. I was just drinking way too much and too often for it to a sustainable way to carry on.

Give it a watch - it's genuinely absorbing and extremly candid.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drinkers+ like+me[/video]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't read this thread right now (just had a quick skim). But I probably need to do so....I did dry January in 2013, and did a 2 weeks dry 5 years earlier, but apart from that it has been every evening (never during the day - yes, feeble virtue signaling) for the last 30 years. Who knew? Back later at some point....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I really don’t have as much fun in the local, but it’s good to view the others drinking habits without beer Glasses on. I now realise that it is a good idea to stop or cut right back. I can go out for a meal and can’t deny I am tempted for a beer, but have a large bottle of sparkling water, ice and lemon. I am sure I will always be tempted, but the medication helps with my cravings.

What medication helps with the cravings? I don't feel it's cravings almost just habit, when I did Dry January I just planned no drinking and the habit feel into other areas, exercise, designated driver etc etc

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
https://youtu.be/_1gQ4iM6N4M

Found this an interesting watch. People's lives going pearshaped / already screwed, and they are still telling themselves they want to carry on drinking and just moderate. It's crazy how much so many of us get convinced that alcohol needs to be part of our lives. I kind of think, if you feel like your life is not going well, and you feel like alcohol is playing a negative part in that scenario, maybe it's time to quit it and see if things get better in any way!

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
What medication helps with the cravings? I don't feel it's cravings almost just habit, when I did Dry January I just planned no drinking and the habit feel into other areas, exercise, designated driver etc etc

I did a community detox through Pavilions in Brighton and they prescribed me Acomprosate (Excuse Spelling) to stop the cravings, along with a multitude of vitamin B tablets as the stomach looses the ability to absorb this apparently. I was also prescribed something else but cant remember what it was.

I asked to carry on with them afterwards and will do for a couple of months and must admit, I have been in to pubs and out and not once even wanted a beer or a drink.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
https://youtu.be/_1gQ4iM6N4M

Found this an interesting watch. People's lives going pearshaped / already screwed, and they are still telling themselves they want to carry on drinking and just moderate. It's crazy how much so many of us get convinced that alcohol needs to be part of our lives. I kind of think, if you feel like your life is not going well, and you feel like alcohol is playing a negative part in that scenario, maybe it's time to quit it and see if things get better in any way!

Mine was slowly going pear shaped, yet I would still convince myself that I needed a beer to de-stress from work, to have fun at the weekend, to see my mates. All the excuses came out, just so that I could have a drink. Yet I am now 4 weeks in without an alcoholic drink, getting fit and have money still in the bank from pay day, without having to abuse the credit card for a pint which was the usual routine.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, 31 days now. A bit of a personal milestone and I must say I have surprised myself.

Apart from the first 10 days or so, it seems to have got significantly easier and I seem to have broken the ingrained habit that would have me reaching for a cold one as soon as I walked in the door, which would set the pattern for the rest of the night. I didn't have a target in mind when I started about how long I would go for, but at the moment I have no intention to start drinking again and if I could make this a permanent change in my life then I would be very happy. Thanks to all who have posted on here about their experiences - it's been interesting to read and hugely helpful.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So, after 204 consecutive days without a drink, I’ve had at least one drink on each of the last eight days.

I think the most I’ve had in any one day was yesterday where I had five:

- bellini with breakfast
- beer with lunch
- margarita with dinner
- two glasses of red in the evening

On some other days I’ve just had the one drink.

I’m enjoying the drinks I’m having, but not craving it, nor am I desperate for a drink any time.

I’m sure I’m drinking considerably less than on similar holidays in the past and I still have no doubts that when I’m back home I’ll not be a habitual-cos-it’s-there drinker most evenings.

Well done to everyone else still fighting the good fight.

How have you fared since you got back home, assuming you are back home now?

Have you managed to maintain the moderation? I'm on Day 40 now (well, tomorrow), and recognise that, for me, moderation is probably a slipperly slope back to where I was before. i.e - 4 pints a night minimum and probably more than that at weekends. So my plan is to stick to zero. So far, cutting out booze completely, eating better and exercising more has helped me shed two stone and 4 inches of my waist. What I have saved on booze I have had to spend on new trousers but that's a trade-off I'm happy with.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Mine was slowly going pear shaped, yet I would still convince myself that I needed a beer to de-stress from work, to have fun at the weekend, to see my mates. All the excuses came out, just so that I could have a drink. Yet I am now 4 weeks in without an alcoholic drink, getting fit and have money still in the bank from pay day, without having to abuse the credit card for a pint which was the usual routine.

well done mate.....i keep threatening to knock the booze on the head for a few weeks but i have the will power of a cabbage.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How have you fared since you got back home, assuming you are back home now?

Have you managed to maintain the moderation? I'm on Day 40 now (well, tomorrow), and recognise that, for me, moderation is probably a slipperly slope back to where I was before. i.e - 4 pints a night minimum and probably more than that at weekends. So my plan is to stick to zero. So far, cutting out booze completely, eating better and exercising more has helped me shed two stone and 4 inches of my waist. What I have saved on booze I have had to spend on new trousers but that's a trade-off I'm happy with.

We only got home yesterday lunchtime so it's early days.

However to "keep the holiday going" I had a glass of red last night. That was slightly silly as:

a) I'd been awake for over 30 hours and was barely awake. Indeed I fell asleep after my first glug, although I did finish it when I woke up!
b) I now have an open bottle of red screaming "drink me!" every time I go into the kitchen.

However, I feel absolutely no inclination to have a drink tonight, which is good. I'll use the wine in bolognese sauces over the next week or so.

Looking back at the holiday, I did have a drink every day of the three weeks but my guess is that I drank less than I have on similar holidays and there was only one day that we really went for it.

I am genuinely looking forward to some booze-free days over the coming weeks. Walking the dog this morning, I found myself slightly worrying about the week ahead - football tomorrow, a mate suggested some mid-week drinks this week and I'm toying with Man City next weekend. I find myself not wanting three heavy days in a week or so. Previously I'd be relishing them.

I'll report back in a week or two as to how things are going!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a fascinating and very honest account of habitual drinking at a level way over what any health professional would describe as 'safe' but at a level which I am sure many of us on here would recognise in ourselves. I certainly did and it was enough to prompt me to take action in a way that no amount of "Please drink responsibly" labelling ever would. So far as I was concerned, I was drinking responsibly. I never got drunk, I was never sick, I didn't drink and drive, I only ever drank in the evenings and I knew when to stop. I was just drinking way too much and too often for it to a sustainable way to carry on.

Give it a watch - it's genuinely absorbing and extremly candid.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drinkers+ like+me[/video]

Valid points Bry Nylon, I'm a bit like you in many respects, never drink til I'm a mess, never drink and drive and my " Poison " is nice tasting beer rather than bulk alcohol in the form of cases of Fosters or Stella or spirits/wine. I realised a year or two back I was drinking too regularly so made a conscious decision to go dry Sun/Mon/Tue and sometimes even extend that for another day or two.

Mrs V was recently signed off work with work related stress and was lined up for some talking therapy in order to get her coping mechanism's back but she was told this could not happen until she got her drinking down. So, she was placed on the list for some kind of " Drink Awareness " course under a lady trained to be supportive but given the task of actively reducing Mrs V's intake. It turns out, she is/was drinking about 3 1/2 times the recommended Gov limit of 14 units a week..... she was more shocked to learn that her mentor thought she was quite good as a lot of her " Clients " were on 90-120 units a week !

She has become more aware and recently managed 2 whole days without a drop but, it shows what a major problem society has with self medication via alcohol. It seems that we are no better than when Hogarth painted Gin Street 160 years ago, the problem has not gone away.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was going to have just the one glass of red before my Tagliatelle Ragu last night but before the water for the pasta had boiled and it had been cooked managed to do the bottle. That was on top of the previous night where I drank 2 Duvels and 2 Mr Presidents. Look those abv’s up. So need to take stock now. Going to have a Burning Sky Petite Saison at 3.5 abv tonight and that’s it........

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was going to have just the one glass of red before my Tagliatelle Ragu last night but before the water for the pasta had boiled and it had been cooked managed to do the bottle. That was on top of the previous night where I drank 2 Duvels and 2 Mr Presidents. Look those abv’s up. So need to take stock now. Going to have a Burning Sky Petite Saison at 3.5 abv tonight and that’s it........

Ah so that's why you wussed out on the Fridat Night Drinking thread ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah so that's why you wussed out on the Fridat Night Drinking thread ?

Yes had to sit that one out and watch from the sidelines with the wheezy boys after ‘The sick note from Matron’

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Working as a quality manager for a brewery, not just being around beer all day, when out on the town, my company allows me to buy our products (for quality checks you understand), copious amounts of beer allowance of 28 cases per year, added to which I get samples. My company has regular meeting resulting in much drinking and "get togethers" involving drinking and so on and on.

I've owed 4 pubs so everyone expects me to be a pisshead, I'm not. I never had a drink in one of my pubs until after 9, and then only a few (I didn't live in three of the pubs so didn't drink and drive). Of course there were times I "got on it" but not a regular thing.

Now baring in mind all of the above the one thing that's always crossed my mind is the true heavy drinkers are those behind closed doors. The consumption while sitting on the sofa is way above a regular in the pub. Usually stronger alcohol and larger measures. Obviously there's are pub goers that drink heavy at home as well. Pubs/bars get a bad rep for the drinking culture but it's the supermarkets that are the real issue and of course companies like mine with their bargains!

I see regularly landlords drinking top shelf early morning and they seriously need help and they're doing the wrong job.

On a personal note nowadays I normally give away my allowance to friends, buy other people my company brands when out and I drink moderately and have a maximum of 4 pints on an evening out with work. I only have a drink perhaps three times a week of a couple of pints. I've actually found as I've got older I just can't drink the same amount as in my younger days without feeling uncomfortable (not really felt pissed for years if honest) and full up.I will admit I'd find hard it to give up completely though but I see it as, Do I want a drink? Yes. Do I need a drink? No

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I like lime and soda...

The days of lime and soda are over. "Sugary, carbonated or fruit-based juice drinks just won't do" for those seeking a booze-free alternative.

At least, that is the view of Seedlip, which claims to be making the world's first distilled non-alcoholic spirits.

We exist to solve this dilemma. What do you drink when you're not drinking?" says Ben Branson, founder of the Chilterns-based business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49355057

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I like lime and soda...

The days of lime and soda are over. "Sugary, carbonated or fruit-based juice drinks just won't do" for those seeking a booze-free alternative.

At least, that is the view of Seedlip, which claims to be making the world's first distilled non-alcoholic spirits.

We exist to solve this dilemma. What do you drink when you're not drinking?" says Ben Branson, founder of the Chilterns-based business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49355057
I saw that Seedlip the other day. Was interested for about 3 seconds until I saw the price. £25? As much as most premium gin without the alcohol tax.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I saw that Seedlip the other day. Was interested for about 3 seconds until I saw the price. £25? As much as most premium gin without the alcohol tax.

A friend has a bottle and I tried it a few months ago. It was nice and, if I didn't know that what I was drinking wasn't actually gin and tonic, I'd have thought it was gin and tonic.

I'm with you though. Whilst I wouldn't bat an eyelid at paying £25 for gin, I can't see me ever paying the same for a booze-less version.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Since I stopped drinking alcohol I have just drunk water. I occassionally have a diet pepsi or something similar if in a pub or restaurant - but I avoid the non-alcoholic variants of alcoholic drinks. I suppose I am concerned that they might become a gateway back into booze. So although drinking water all the time is as dull as life gets, I just don't trust myself if I get the 'taste' for booze back again. I'm really chuffed with myself for getting this far and I'd be gutted if I had to start again.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Since I stopped drinking alcohol I have just drunk water. I occassionally have a diet pepsi or something similar if in a pub or restaurant - but I avoid the non-alcoholic variants of alcoholic drinks. I suppose I am concerned that they might become a gateway back into booze. So although drinking water all the time is as dull as life gets, I just don't trust myself if I get the 'taste' for booze back again. I'm really chuffed with myself for getting this far and I'd be gutted if I had to start again.

Good effort. I am the same with avoiding routes back on to the booze. 6 weeks down and really feel great, as dos the bank balance, also come off of all medication and anti depressants. I considered the non alcoholic gin, but that would be a route back on to the beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here