Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MOTD

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But they are treated as cheating and punished as such with a yellow card and free kick. That was my point. Diving is also treated as such and should be punished by a yellow card as well. It doesn't mean Johnny Foreigner isn't capable of very cynical fouls to break up quick breaks (Busquets springs to mind among others) nor that Brits don't dive (Zaha anyone?). The two things SHOULD be treated in the same way on the field of play.

The issue is players almost never get away with the good foul but often get away with diving. It's sneakier.

My point is off the field of play they are not treated the same or even close to it, and that will impact on attitudes on the pitch - if deliberate fouls had the same stigma as diving would we see it so often? Off the field of play diving (whether punished by the ref in the moment or missed) is treated as one of the worst things you can do on a pitch (besides perhaps spit). Players that are caught will will come out and apologise for it (the Leicester player earlier this season comes to mind). Accuse another player of diving and it's almost an insult. Yet if a player deliberately fouls an opponent we praise them for for taking one for the team (or laugh off when they're not caught by the ref), we don't expect apologies. No one feels shame for it, no one will get in your face and demand you apologise for daring to impugn their team's professionalism or sportsmanship.

EDIT: I would also add that the stigma around diving is part of the problem with it not being punished by refs as much. That affront to their character claim of anyone accused of diving makes authorities reluctant to act.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I will offer a hand of apology here. Yes I was trolling a little bit (for fun). But the way I was jumped on for having a differing opinion is quite an eye opener.

Tell me more...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
AKA the "good foul"? As a poor quality pub-league centre back I used to make those sorts of challenges and it was just taking one for the team. These days it should be a guaranteed yellow, which means the same player can only do one per game and, after five of them, you're sitting out. It has not stopped the "good foul" at all. Sometimes you just need to do it. See Milner against Newcastle recently..

Paolo Montero used to be good at those, and every other type of foul actually.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I called it as a genuine penalty, not thorugh spite for Ali J but because, at full speed, it looked one. Too busy with chat on here and handing round the snacks to really look properly again until half time I then changed my mind and said so. But, I can see why it was given. It's a limp, hang out a leg challenge from behind and any touch on Monreal becomes a foul. It just so happens that he didn't touch him.

I'd love Ali J to do well. It certainly doesn't do any of us any good for him to struggle like this. But the guy was rightfully hooked at half time, and it won't have been because of the "penalty".

There was a very spiteful post that wound me up enough to post that and it wasn't yours. You are also 100% correct that Ali-J needs to step up. Let's hope he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here