Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think we need an 'It evens itself out over the course of the season' thread.

What if it doesn't? :tantrum:

Game Goals Other Without VAR Points different in the unlikely event absolutely everything else in the game remained the same, without VAR
v Watford (a) No impact Claim for handball against us reviewed, not given. No change 0
v West Ham (h) One goal (for) disallowed Offside clear enough to have been caught, did the assistant not flag because instructed not to (would he have flagged if no VAR)? 0/-2
[td]
[td]
[td]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think we need an 'It evens itself out over the course of the season' thread.
That does nothing to address the change in atmosphere and the interruption and the loss of joy.

We all know that even if most likely things will be fair over a season, it does not justify var.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Total bollocks and will ruin the game. Sometimes things went for you sometimes against but at least you could celebrate or start ranting without a minutes wait. Also var decisions against teams on top seem to deflate them and give the other team a boost.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No. How can you possibly celebrate a goal? Surely that's what we go to matches for.

Its bollocks.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I hate it. If every goal is going to be a waiting game whilst someone 100 miles away is examining it for some minor infringement everyone missed then it’s going to kill the game for those actually at the match.

I’d rather be playing in the VAR free Championship.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
VAR is executed by TV for TV fans, it has no place for those who actually pay to see the game in the flesh. Against Modern Football.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
That does nothing to address the change in atmosphere and the interruption and the loss of joy.

We all know that even if most likely things will be fair over a season, it does not justify var.

I do agree. Today's decision boiled my piss and my own opinion is that VAR is something that will be more appealing to armchair viewers than matchgoing supporters.

Just that if today is anything to go by, we'll have a season of VAR justice /injustice threads so an evens it out thread might let us track if it actually does.

I really wasn't making an argument supporting it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Rearrange this famous phrase: strength me give.

To prove my point the still on MOTD clearly shows the ball was about a foot further than the players boot when Burn was adjudged offside. I'm not saying he would have been onside in that play but it it was a matter of inches when would have been onside.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Life isn’t fair, as like life neither should football be

Regretfully life has no rules, football does and too many rules are broken due to cheating or crap refs.
Having said that the Manchester City decision was ridiculous but that wasn't really the fault of VAR either, that's the new rules, no handball in the area, deliberate or not.
Blame the rule makers for that one.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I do agree. Today's decision boiled my piss and my own opinion is that VAR is something that will be more appealing to armchair viewers than matchgoing supporters.

Just that if today is anything to go by, we'll have a season of VAR justice /injustice threads so an evens it out thread might let us track if it actually does.

I really wasn't making an argument supporting it.

I agree but for the past 2 seasons all we have had on here and TV was ridiculous decisions made by the officials.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm at a point now where, when it comes to offsides, I just want VAR binned off completely. Revert to the lino's call, they've always got it right 95% of the time. Over the course of the season when you get the odd duff one, it'll even itself out.

Just use VAR to review clear and obvious WRONG decisions on penalties, and red cards. Thats it.

But 1 clear and ridiculous decision is 1 too many and it builds up over a season.
Do you remember a match last season when the lino was so far behind play he had to lean to try and see but totally muffed it, they scored but the player was miles offside.
The ref had a decent view as well.
Better officials is what is needed, then bin VAR except for circumstances you have mentioned.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

68% no in its current form. Telephoto at an angle distorts the image. It was a good goal.
PS: just seen MOTD, offside when the free kick was taken, but by the time the ball reached the two players Burn was onside.

Burn went too early before when he headed over the bar.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We've had one controversial decision from VAR in our favour (Murray last week and yes we've seen them given like Tottenham last year)

We've had one offside not in our favour which was incredibly frustrating given what appeared to be perfectly good goal disallowed. That said, it's difficult to argue with the decision with the lines over the screen.

I think Hendrick playing basketball wound me up more when Burnley buggered off down the other end and scored last season. VAR isn't perfect but merely a different shit sandwich to take a bite out it. Let's give this bitter tasting poo sandwich a go before we luzz it in the bin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought we were told VAR would be used only for clear and obvious errors. How is a marginal off-side a clear and obvious error?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought we were told VAR would be used only for clear and obvious errors. How is a marginal off-side a clear and obvious error?

If VAR shows you to be offside then letting the goal stand when you know a law has been broken in the build up to said goal is a clear and obvious error.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here