Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans Forum

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Sounds like a matter which should have been handled personally then, via email or in person afterwards. Rather than asked in a forum with the club/individuals under scrutiny.

Think the matter has been subject to numerous emails over a number of months and was fully covered in the Seagulls Travel thread that has been running for some time, last post was around 30 July. In that thread there is a lengthy reply from Paul Barber, which probably explains why he was a little dismissive of the question as it really has been fully dealt and the answer is not going to change.

ST coach travel is now a rather pricey option but as Paul did point out, while a travel provider acknowledged by the club, they are still a business for profit and what they charge is nothing to do with the club.

One other point worth considering here is as one gets older there may come a time when we have to answer the question of how safe due to age, health or both am I travelling to a crowded football match. For some it maybe like that decision to stop driving, a very hard one to make. So when the travel option that makes you comfortable gets pricey it may bring that question more to a head. That said hope the person that raised the question will be able to enjoy many more seasons watching the Albion, whatever method he gets there by.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The guy who asked the question is not able to use the train as he is unable to walk up the slope to the stadium but can use the lift the other end of the stadium for the coaches.

So presumably he has walking difficulties but can get from the coach park albeit with the lift near the away end in which case he could walk from The 25 bus stop to use the same lift. If coming from Horsham area., judging by your user name, he could get the 17 to The Old Steine and walk across the road and get the 25. as I do from HH and somebody always gives up their seat on the 25 for me to sit down. I cannot remember the last time I stood on the 25 to or from The AMEX. Most buses from all areas go to The Old Steine.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So presumably he has walking difficulties but can get from the copach park albeit with the lift near the away end in which case he could walk from rthge 25 bus stop tio use trhe same lift. If coming from Horsham area by your user name he could get the 17 to The Olkd Stein walkk across the road and get the 25. as I do from HH and somebody always gives up their seat on the 25 for me to sit down. I cannot remember the ladt time I stood on the 25 to or from The AMEX.

Coming from Polegate would necessitate at least three buses. The person who asked the question last night, was coming from Polegate.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry if explained before. I am one that thinks it was small minded of club to withdraw subsidy to Seagull Travel. but can someone explain what Barber means by double subsidy. Club admit we pay an additional sum on STs for travel

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I assume he meant that we had the option to catch the bus or train and use the Season Ticket travel subsidy.
But also the club were subsidising Seagull Travel also.
It is the choice of Seagull Travel users to use the coaches.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
I assume he meant that we had the option to catch the bus or train and use the Season Ticket travel subsidy.
But also the club were subsidising Seagull Travel also.
It is the choice of Seagull Travel users to use the coaches.

It has not only been withdrawn for Seagulls Travel users it has been withdrawn from the supporters club coaches as well.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
With 8k on the waiting list and the next goal set, I noticed PB took the (nailed on) expanding stadium question a bit more seriously this time around.

I got the feeling he was intimating a few more seats might be possible than the "maybe a couple of hundred" responses of the past.

I thought he meant just what he has said numerous times in the past, there was the possibility of a couple hundred more seats but that's it. Other than on the North East corner, (where the shelf is on the North West) there is no other large spaces left. At some point the work required to put a few seats in here and there is simply not cost effective, and I think they are probably there already.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It has not only been withdrawn for Seagulls Travel users it has been withdrawn from the supporters club coaches as well.

They have been paying one subsidy to ST which you could say is covered by premien we pay on season ticket ST offers a good service that also helps club out. Understand 20% have left because of increase. I think public transport and P and Rs would have a job to cope with 1000s extra if Seagull Travel wasnt there. Already one has to be at Mill Rd one and half hours before KO.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It wasn't paid to the supporters club coaches. They only provided coaches to away games which wouldn't get a subsidy. Maybe the A21 club got it as they did provide transport to home games.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I thought he meant just what he has said numerous times in the past, there was the possibility of a couple hundred more seats but that's it. Other than on the North East corner, (where the shelf is on the North West) there is no other large spaces left. At some point the work required to put a few seats in here and there is simply not cost effective, and I think they are probably there already.

I doubt this is what PB was talking about, but there is room behind the North Stand if they got rid of some offices.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its more the case of it taking 10+ minutes to pour a pint and the newbie trying to find whatever food is left after the club being caught out again as it has all sold out. If anything the card wifi payment has taken longer than cash for me sometimes because of the usual from my bank insisting i use my pin occasionally.

Very true about the inept staff skills.

But the club would know the real stats of time per cash sale versus time per card sale, and cash takes longer. I trust TB/PB on that.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Sorry if explained before. I am one that thinks it was small minded of club to withdraw subsidy to Seagull Travel. but can someone explain what Barber means by double subsidy. Club admit we pay an additional sum on STs for travel

My understanding of double subsidy from what Barber has mentioned is first the travel by coach, and then providing prime parking area for the coaches for free. By taking the travel subsidy away from ST coach travel they not only save a six figure sum (PB words) but are still offering a subsidy by not charging for this prime parking area.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
They have been paying one subsidy to ST which you could say is covered by premien we pay on season ticket ST offers a good service that also helps club out. Understand 20% have left because of increase. I think public transport and P and Rs would have a job to cope with 1000s extra if Seagull Travel wasnt there. Already one has to be at Mill Rd one and half hours before KO.

I can't see what the issue is for resolving this.
Average home attendance (say) 27,000
Seagull Travel (say 50 coaches carrying 60 each) -3,000
Car parks (say 500 cars carrying 2 each) -1,000
Fans dropped off (est) -1,000

Fans using Subsidised travel 22,000

So you pay train and bus companies the subsidy collected from tickets to transport 22,000. You give Seagull Travel the subsidy for 3,000 and the club pocket the rest. Simples.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The club subsidise transport available to everyone (First Subsidy) using buses and trains in the Travel Zone. So even if you live outside that zone, you get subsidised travel once you hop on a bus or train in the zone. [All supporters are ultimately paying for this through ticket payments].

Seagulls Travel, a commercial for profit company unconnected to the club, and supporters clubs, were getting a club subsidy (Double Subsidy). Costing the club the best part of £1m a season. Unlike the competition of all other bus, train and coach providers who received nothing, and so fans travelling with them received no subsidised benefit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here