Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the slowest transfer window yet?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you think that maybe Potter thinks Baluta and Alzate might be the answer to this problem. Didn't Dan Ashworth not so long ago say something like, sometimes the answer lies within the club.
Certainly valid questions. Don't know the answers, of course - haven't a clue! They weren't involved at all with the U23s at Ebbsfleet though, so ........................

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Do you think that maybe Potter thinks Baluta and Alzate might be the answer to this problem. Didn't Dan Ashworth not so long ago say something like, sometimes the answer lies within the club.

Dan Ashworth can say what he likes, it won’t be his head on the block until we’ve worked our way through a couple more managers

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/july/crofts-back-for-a-third-spell-as-coach/

Well that’s a relief. *facepalm*

*yes I know it’s only for the U23’s
Interesting idea, though - the U23s are likely to be pretty young and raw this season, as most of their top players have gone out on loan. Playing alongside an experienced player will be good experience for the youngsters too, learning off him as they play; exactly what they are likely to have to do if ever they get a shot of first team action.

Will he be allowed to play in the Checkatrade?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Every signing is a punt BTW. But the punts we need to make need to be lower risk than normal for us IMHO. So Championship or SPL or maybe major Euro league, rather than minor Euro league.
Sorry, you're counting leagues like Belgium and Holland as minor, but would be happy for us to buy from the Scotland?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we keep losing, it'll feel just as bad.

There’s losing and there’s losing. I doubt it will feel as bad to me if we get over halfway line a few times.

I really don’t expect anything but a season long struggle but not with 10 men behind the ball every game and no ambition to attack with more than a couple of players over the halfway line.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't Dan Ashworth not so long ago say something like, sometimes the answer lies within the club.

That would certainly go a long way towards explaining the lack of activity in the transfer window.

Seems like they're going to go largely with trying to make silk purses out of players that many of us have written off as sows ears.

You often hear new managers (over?) confident in their own ability saying 'I can change him' about players who have thus far proved to be problematic in one way or another for previous managers.

So... looks like we're going with an ageing Murray up front, and counting on Locadia and/or Andone coming good. Fair enough. But wouldn't leave it much beyond the end of September for reaching a verdict, else we'll be already playing catch-up and will need to pay even more over the odds in January for last gasp saviours than we would have done in the Summer, both on and off the field.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That would certainly go a long way towards explaining the lack of activity in the transfer window.

Seems like they're going to go largely with trying to make silk purses out of players that many of us have written off as sows ears.

You often hear new managers (over?) confident in their own ability saying 'I can change him' about players who have thus far proved to be problematic in one way or another for previous managers.

So... looks like we're going with an ageing Murray up front, and counting on Locadia and/or Andone coming good. Fair enough. But wouldn't leave it much beyond the end of September for reaching a verdict, else we'll be already playing catch-up and will need to pay even more over the odds in January for last gasp saviours than we would have done in the Summer, both on and off the field.

We won’t even pay the going rates, what makes you think we’ll be paying over the odds in January?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There’s losing and there’s losing. I doubt it will feel as bad to me if we get over halfway line a few times.
Maybe that is how you'll see it, but I suspect a fair number of people think the same, but if push comes to shove will find that they'd rather we were defensive and scraped over the line, than plucky losers.

I really don’t expect anything but a season long struggle but not with 10 men behind the ball every game and no ambition to attack with more than a couple of players over the halfway line.
If it's a struggle we win, I'll be happy.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe that is how you'll see it, but I suspect a fair number of people think the same, but if push comes to shove will find that they'd rather we were defensive and scraped over the line, than plucky losers.

If it's a struggle we win, I'll be happy.

We weren’t even plucky losers for most of last season we just kept losing.. Out thought and outplayed in nearly every game I doubt I’ll feel worse about losing this season, even if we keep losing :shrug: Time will tell

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We weren’t even plucky losers for most of last season we just kept losing
Yes I know, but over the whole season, we did enough.
I doubt I’ll feel worse about losing this season, even if we keep losing :shrug: Time will tell
Let's hope time doesn't tell.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Depends on whether the board think relegation is a more attractive financial option than paying the going rate to avoid it :shrug:

I have seen nothing to suggest we’ll pay over the odds or even the going rate to avoid relegation. We are on a wing and a prayer and gambling big time.

I will be absolutely astounded and delighted if we bring in ANY proven quality players before the window closes.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
At first, I thought we were being patient and felt we had enough time. Now, I’m beginning to get concerned that it isn’t just a slow transfer window is at least, but we’re not being as active as we should given some evidential deficiencies in the squad.

I just hope the football is better than last season to soften the blow of relegation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have seen nothing to suggest we’ll pay over the odds or even the going rate to avoid relegation. We are on a wing and a prayer and gambling big time.

Which I hope you'll agree with me is just plain daft, if the club is serious in its stated intent to become an established PL club, with the obscene levels of global income stream(s) that goes with it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Interesting idea, though - the U23s are likely to be pretty young and raw this season, as most of their top players have gone out on loan. Playing alongside an experienced player will be good experience for the youngsters too, learning off him as they play; exactly what they are likely to have to do if ever they get a shot of first team action.

Will he be allowed to play in the Checkatrade?

Yeah my post was tongue in cheek for sure. Think Rosenior played a couple of games for the U23s as he took his badges so it probably helps both ways.

Another example of us being progressive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here