Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Moving from Brighton

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
me and the wife are thinking of moving from Brighton once we've had some work done on our flat and put it on the market

realistically with a child we need more space and Brighton isn't really the place where that's going to happen, so we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and move elsewhere. I work in Brighton and my wife works in Worthing so we're thinking either moving west or north of brighton.

things we need are:

-alright schools
-comfortable commuting distance to brighton and/or worthing (to Brighton needs to be done by public transport)
-decent sense of community and "stuff" to do
-ability to afford a "reasonably priced" 3 bed property

who here has experience of a similar migration? Looking at the market we can definitely afford places like Southwick, Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing and at a push Portslade/Mile Oak and going north Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anywhere close to a railway station on the west coast line would be a good choice.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Shoreham is a good place to live, been here for 18 years now. Town centre is nice and schools good. Youngest went to Swiss Gardens school in the centre of Sham and loved it, went up to Shoreham Academ (11+) last year and doing really well despite her not being the most confident of kids.

Southwick also ok but Southwick Square is a bit meh.

Lancing is not as nice, centre a bit crappy and Robert Woodard Academy (11 yo +) isn't as good as Shoreham Academy. Primary schools result's also not as good as S and S. But house prices are cheaper so you get more for your money.

All 3 have good links on trains and buses to Btn and Worthing and good but busy roads. My son in law has an electric scooter he uses to get from their house in Shoreham to Worthing daily for work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
me and the wife are thinking of moving from Brighton once we've had some work done on our flat and put it on the market

realistically with a child we need more space and Brighton isn't really the place where that's going to happen, so we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and move elsewhere. I work in Brighton and my wife works in Worthing so we're thinking either moving west or north of brighton.

things we need are:

-alright schools
-comfortable commuting distance to brighton and/or worthing (to Brighton needs to be done by public transport)
-decent sense of community and "stuff" to do
-ability to afford a "reasonably priced" 3 bed property

who here has experience of a similar migration? Looking at the market we can definitely afford places like Southwick, Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing and at a push Portslade/Mile Oak and going north Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill

Moved to Burgess Hill about 30 years ago (tried Lindfield for a short while first) and have grown to like it. Choice of housing is pretty wide and still cheaper on average than Haywards Heath. Brighton commute by train is dead easy. Secondary Schools are a bit mixed (both ours went to Oakmeeds which is typically the worst) and like most vary over time but Downlands at Hassocks and Warden Park in Cuckfield are within easy reach too so there's a choice. Primary schools generally appear to be pretty good. Plenty of local stuff going on depending on your interests I guess. I particularly like the green spaces and closeness to the Downs plus easy access to Gatwick, London and A23. Town centre is pretty crap unless you like a lot of coffee and need a lot of haircuts. Leisure centre is good. There's a huge amount of new housing planned though and not sure how this will affect things - if other facilities like schools, docs etc grow at the same rate then it'll be good but I know that doesn't always tend to be the case..............

As [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] says Hassocks is a good bet too (definitely a good community feel there) - being smaller there's less choice of housing though I'd think

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've been doing more and more work in the Brighton to Worthing corridor, and there are some really nice properties to be had a sensible prices. I know a few people who moved to Worthing (including our own [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]) and not looked back. Worthing is like a series of separate little villages really when outside the actual centre. Shoreham continues to improve, and Lancing is probably bargain central in terms of sq ft for your £££.

Think I'd rather be on the coastline rail and bus routes than have to join the London commuters if you moved North.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shoreham is lovely, been here 26 years

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been doing more and more work in the Brighton to Worthing corridor, and there are some really nice properties to be had a sensible prices. I know a few people who moved to Worthing (including our own [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]) and not looked back. Worthing is like a series of separate little villages really when outside the actual centre. Shoreham continues to improve, and Lancing is probably bargain central in terms of sq ft for your £££.

Think I'd rather be on the coastline rail and bus routes than have to join the London commuters if you moved North.

LOL - most of the London commuters will be going in the opposite direction :laugh::laugh:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm a Shorehamite, it's getting very busy, the primaries are bursting at the seams, SA isn't great, neither is most of its Saafwick intake, Woodard in Lancing is a better school but with a load of Lancing cherubs, my son did 8 months there and made no friends, it is already the school of catchment for half of Shoreham. . . . Prices are high in central Shoreham. It gets cheaper as you venture further from the station . . .like anywhere.

Friends from Hove moved to Worthing recently, only way to afford a family house from a flat, some good schools there, nice houses and not stupid prices. 3 stations to choose from although the west end and Selden area are nicer than east.

Wherever you go, prices will fluctuate with commutability, and proximity to a good school, so it's finding a suitable compromise.

Would give Hassocks a swerve if you want nice green spaces...1,000 new houses coming in next five years with no new roads or infrastructure...😕

Moved to Burgess Hill about 30 years ago (tried Lindfield for a short while first) and have grown to like it. Choice of housing is pretty wide and still cheaper on average than Haywards Heath. Brighton commute by train is dead easy. Secondary Schools are a bit mixed (both ours went to Oakmeeds which is typically the worst) and like most vary over time but Downlands at Hassocks and Warden Park in Cuckfield are within easy reach too so there's a choice. Primary schools generally appear to be pretty good. Plenty of local stuff going on depending on your interests I guess. I particularly like the green spaces and closeness to the Downs plus easy access to Gatwick, London and A23. Town centre is pretty crap unless you like a lot of coffee and need a lot of haircuts. Leisure centre is good. There's a huge amount of new housing planned though and not sure how this will affect things - if other facilities like schools, docs etc grow at the same rate then it'll be good but I know that doesn't always tend to be the case..............

As [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION] says Hassocks is a good bet too (definitely a good community feel there) - being smaller there's less choice of housing though I'd think

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would give Hassocks a swerve if you want nice green spaces...1,000 new houses coming in next five years with no new roads or infrastructure...��

Yeah it's grim.......same with Burgess Hill (3,000 I think just on the 'Northern Arc' development). At least the Downs are in very easy reach, and BH has a decent nature reserve that's protected

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
another thing I forgot to mention- I'd like a good selection of PUBS

I know Shoreham does alright pub wise- how about Southwick, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shoreham and Worthing score highly I'd say, plenty of choice from beardy ale houses, live music, chav centres and stab vest zones.

another thing I forgot to mention- I'd like a good selection of PUBS

I know Shoreham does alright pub wise- how about Southwick, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here