Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone or Locardia

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's very unfair to judge any ofthe forward players - bar murray, march and Knocky (who pretty much proved themselves) - in CH system. It was so defensive, and very controlled.

Sure, there is something to be said for that . But locadia in particular wouldn’t be high calibre in any premier league set up . Murray is a year older. I like Andone but he is what he is - a £5m player.
It’s an even tougher league this season
If we don’t sign someone quite a lot better, I can’t see three other teams finishing below us

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I don’t think so. Not that I don’t believe Murray should ever feature, but I think that Potter will have some very different ideas than Hughton about who should be a regular starter.

Well, there's no-one else in the club who can play a lone striker role.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Are you sure you mean Matt Edwards? He was decent

Tell me you weren’t responsible for Matt Edwards or that useless non league lump who replaced Saunders (name eludes me)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What we need is someone with all best attributes of all three. With Murray’s positional sense in the box and knack of scoring, Andone’s workrate and movement and Locadia’s ….. Locadia’s. What we need is a cross between Murray and Andone

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Really? There’s no other target man you mean? There’s more than one way to get goals. To me we’ve got the look of a team who could play a high pressing and pacey counter attacking game. If that’s right then Andone will be pivotal

Well, there's no-one else in the club who can play a lone striker role.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Sure, there is something to be said for that . But locadia in particular wouldn’t be high calibre in any premier league set up . Murray is a year older. I like Andone but he is what he is - a £5m player.
If we don’t sign someone quite a lot better, I can’t see three other teams finishing below us

Yes, Murray's goals these past couple of seasons have been so important in us staying up. He is not now so able and the other two are not PL goal scorers.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I’m expecting a 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-1-2 formation. If the latter, something like: Ryan; Clarke, Dunk (c), Duffy; March, Stephens, Propper, Bernardo; Trossard; Murray, Locadia

That’s harsh on Groß, but I’ll be very surprised if we see Murray on his own with Groß sitting behind him ever again. I still see Murray + another as our strongest attacking option for next season. Murray is, no doubt, still the best striker Brighton have.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Andone would have cost us the better part of £20million the previous season had Deportivo wanted to sell. He only cost £5million due to their relegation and a release clause in his contract. I think Andone is a fantastic player, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see him playing as a number 10 off Glenn Murray last season. Hopefully we'll see him properly playing in the side this season.

I don't think we should sign any strikers this window, I think we've got 3 strikers who all have different strengths. So let's get the wingers involved in the game and by effect, our strikers will be far more involved as well. Win win!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Andone would have cost us the better part of £20million the previous season had Deportivo wanted to sell. He only cost £5million due to their relegation and a release clause in his contract. I think Andone is a fantastic player, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see him playing as a number 10 off Glenn Murray last season. Hopefully we'll see him properly playing in the side this season.

I don't think we should sign any strikers this window, I think we've got 3 strikers who all Izzy washave different strengths. So let's get the wingers involved in the game and by effect, our strikers will be far more involved as well. Win win!

Last season Izzy was out injured, Knockhaert half hearted and not effective, March and Jahakanbahsh too set up to defend so with LT an AJ playing down the wings from wide midfield will provide more chances for whoever is up front to score more goals.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Football fans, I think, are over-influenced by the size of the transfer fee in their opinion of a player. In this case, as always, there are a lot of variables at play

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How funny we all look at things.

AK is 27, AJ 25, Izqueirdo 27, Locadia 25, all a similar stage of development, and young players who have room to improve. I've seen far more from Knockeart last season than the other 3 to suggest he has more untapped potential under a new manager and system.

You're bathing in the 'unknown', that there 'could be' more, there must be more, rather than what there actually is. Knockeart has a much smaller step to being more effective next season than some of those players I'll tell you that much.
I think I'm doing my usual of not explaining myself very well.

I'm not trying to belittle AK, others have suggested he's an Ollie Norwood player who should be sold to an aspiring Championship side.
To me that's bollox he is very much a decent Premier League player.

But as the team is all about kicking on from a disappointing 2019, I just don't see AK maintaining the first team role Mr Hughton frequently gave.

My point is the other 3 are coming at this season with so little in the bank I don't believe it'll take much for them to surpass AK, but crucially im not convinced he can win it back.

Which is where Solly comes into this.
He's probably the nearest we've got to 'all fur coat and no knickers' (harsh I know) esp in the final third.

If Potty and his degree in 'Making people better' can unlock whatever is blocking Solly then he is going to be insane.
While AK is still rinse and repeating what Dazza said.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I really, really hope Andone starts ahead of Murray and Locadia.

I have a lot of confidence in Andone and I think with a proper run as first choice starter, which he never had last season, he will show everyone what a player he is.

Agreed. As long as he doesn’t pick up too many yellow/red cards I believe he will score double figures in the coming season. I’d also like to see Locadia get a run in the team, there’s a player in there somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's very unfair to judge any ofthe forward players - bar murray, march and Knocky (who pretty much proved themselves) - in CH system. It was so defensive, and very controlled.

It's not suddenly going to become a chance fest, we're not suddenly going to go to 50%+ possession every game. Potter may improve our chances created ratio, we may improve our time in the oppositions half, but we are still going to have to defend resolutely and spend many games with little of the ball. We had some impressive PL games under Hughton, 2019 isn't indicative of what happened the previous season and a half.

The seemingly slow Pascal Gross still managed 3 goals and 3 assists in 25 appearances 18/19, and 7 goals 8 assists in 38 appearances 17/18. You say I can't judge ANY of the forwards, but I can judge Gross, and he had the class and talent to deliver, and will likely continue to do so regardless of systems.

Let's not try to kid ourselves that football is all about the manager. I can quite happily judge the footballers who bought nothing to the table regardless of systems, tactics or anything else.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Going to be fascinating. I'm in the Stat camp (I think) re AK, in that we've seen far more of him at/near his maximum potential than the others - at 27, you'd really think that he'd learned not to try to beat the same man 3 times, turn towards his own goal when defending under pressure and stop being a petulant child when things aren't going his way etc. He's got a fair head start on the others though based on past performances for sure. March showed some great signs in a constricted environment last season and if he's given a bit more freedom from defensive duties (and licence to run at players) I think he'll really flourish. Locadia has, in parts, looked a bit like Baldock to me but better. Jose is rapid and can genuinely terrify a defender but so much now depends on his fitness. AJ is my biggest doubt amongst the 'second chancers' but at least he'll get a chance and has a history of coming good in a second season.

I think I'm doing my usual of not explaining myself very well.

I'm not trying to belittle AK, others have suggested he's an Ollie Norwood player who should be sold to an aspiring Championship side.
To me that's bollox he is very much a decent Premier League player.

But as the team is all about kicking on from a disappointing 2019, I just don't see AK maintaining the first team role Mr Hughton frequently gave.

My point is the other 3 are coming at this season with so little in the bank I don't believe it'll take much for them to surpass AK, but crucially im not convinced he can win it back.

Which is where Solly comes into this.
He's probably the nearest we've got to 'all fur coat and no knickers' (harsh I know) esp in the final third.

If Potty and his degree in 'Making people better' can unlock whatever is blocking Solly then he is going to be insane.
While AK is still rinse and repeating what Dazza said.

Where I am with Knockeart especially, is that he arguably has the quickest feet, skills, and ability to beat a man in the club (point taken Daz that it isn't always applied effectively). His is a mental progression that he could make that going into his prime years where experience counts, he could suddenly click and be much better than we've seen. We may have seen more of him over the last 4 years, doesn't mean we've yet seen the best. You cannot coach the skills he has, but you can coach and develop the decision making he makes. The goal against Palace may not have been a one off, but a sign of things to come.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You have missed out our best and most effective midfielder for the past 3 seasons Stephens. I hope that your selection is wrong because it would herald another season of struggling.

Stephens.

Not a Potter player. Too slow to move the ball forward, not anywhere near the speed of thinking or passing required by our new manager in the centre of midfield.
You’re not going to like Potter and his tactics one bit, especially when he starts playing wing-backs.

As I have advised before, please start your Potter out campaign early then you can come back to various threads and declare that you never wanted him from the beginning.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens.

Not a Potter player. Too slow to move the ball forward, not anywhere near the speed of thinking or passing required by our new manager in the centre of midfield.
You’re not going to like Potter and his tactics one bit, especially when he starts playing wing-backs.

As I have advised before, please start your Potter out campaign early then you can come back to various threads and declare that you never wanted him from the beginning.

Stephens is the kind of holding midfielder that every team in the Premier wants irrespective of who the manager is. Name me a top 6 side that doesnt have one, you will not be able to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here