Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the club are looking for someone to develop players from the Academy. Dan Ashworth is reported to have said he wants to create a pipeline from the academy to the first team. I don't think recognised names are what the club is looking for and I think there could be quite a few fans underwhelmed by the next appointment as a result.

Would that not be more down to the u23 staff?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Since Dec 18, apparently.
D5_llgsXoAEZS2D.jpg
Bet Ipswich fans are glad they got rid of Mick. The thick twats.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
K
I'll ask again for the second time so wheres Jose or Raffa? if we want to move forward which is surely the reason for terminating Chris why are we considering Mr Potter (Sounds like an old schoolteacher to me) why are we not talking to the recognised names at home and abroad who have a track record of success.
Lets not forget Rafa took Newcastle down, Mourhino is just laughable off to PSG

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Would that not be more down to the u23 staff?

Its part of it, but I think the club have been alluding to this is recent weeks, talking about the direction of the club. There's no denying Ashworth's role is to help develop the system of bringing players through, and some point that will involve a first team manager as the final piece of the jigsaw. It might not happen now, but Potter seems like a choice who would fit that role, which makes me think it's high up in the clubs thinking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
KLets not forget Rafa took Newcastle down, Mourhino is just laughable off to PSG

Talking of Rafa, he is out of work and talking to Newcastle. There is an instance of a resident manager already in situ, sorting out his contract, so I think we are being impatient.
These things take time to negotiate, and the rest is speculation.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Maybe, just maybe, the conversation is going something like this;

Hello, is that Dan? Great to talk to you.

Yeah great thanks, erm so just a couple of questions from me.

So what’s the playing budget compared to the rest of the Division? Bottom three, right, right, ok.

Oh right, so you want me to bring more kids through? That’s fine, erm, good, good, but you do know that a training and development complex can take up to ten years to get up to speed. Well that’s what Paul Barber said.
I need to do it by August, ok....

Oh right, you want me to bring the kids through whilst playing attractive possession football, cos the fans are a bit pissed off.....

Any big money to spend on strikers, seems like you need at least one, I’ll probably need at least £35m for a decent one? Ok that’s fine, don’t worry, no problem.

I report to Paul Barber, right, ok

No, the weathers great down here at the moment.

Ok, thanks for the call, Dan, bugger the cats just sh*t in the geraniums, I’ll try and call you back in a bit....

Yep, we have a track record of being whimsical and unprofessional so I can totally see it.

I should also correct you that this is TB/PB/DA decision, not the fans.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Talking of Rafa, he is out of work and talking to Newcastle. There is an instance of a resident manager already in situ, sorting out his contract, so I think we are being impatient.
These things take time to negotiate, and the rest is speculation.
He's on his way!!!! He's not clearly but one can wish.

You're right. The impatience of some people on here is only matched by the knee jerk idiocy of others.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'll ask again for the second time so wheres Jose or Raffa? if we want to move forward which is surely the reason for terminating Chris why are we considering Mr Potter (Sounds like an old schoolteacher to me) why are we not talking to the recognised names at home and abroad who have a track record of success.

You can ask where Jose is 500 times and the answer will still be the same:

He's managing one of the best teams in the world because he's one of the world's best managers.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Maybe, just maybe, the conversation is going something like this;

Hello, is that Dan? Great to talk to you.

Yeah great thanks, erm so just a couple of questions from me.

So what’s the playing budget compared to the rest of the Division? Bottom three, right, right, ok.

Oh right, so you want me to bring more kids through? That’s fine, erm, good, good, but you do know that a training and development complex can take up to ten years to get up to speed. Well that’s what Paul Barber said.
I need to do it by August, ok....

Oh right, you want me to bring the kids through whilst playing attractive possession football, cos the fans are a bit pissed off.....

Any big money to spend on strikers, seems like you need at least one, I’ll probably need at least £35m for a decent one? Ok that’s fine, don’t worry, no problem.

I report to Paul Barber, right, ok

No, the weathers great down here at the moment.

Ok, thanks for the call, Dan, bugger the cats just sh*t in the geraniums, I’ll try and call you back in a bit....
It's probably a bit like that but funny.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think people are getting a bit carried away with this style of football thing... Im not asking for us to play like City or Barcelona over night.

I would however like to see some sort of pattern of play going forward and the odd bloody shot on target... its not much to ask really is it ?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You can ask where Jose is 500 times and the answer will still be the same:

He's sat on his massive wallet giving everyone the rods and laughing because he's one of the world's richest managers and has been a huge chancer for years, living off his previous glories.

FTFY

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think this is going to happen. I think the Swans will move a lot (of cash) to keep him
They can't if the reports of a release clause in his contract are correct. If we met that, there's nothing they can do.
he seems (reportedly) to be very anti re uprooting his family
That may be true.
he'll view us as a career risk (rightly)
No he won't. Swansea aren't spending money, so it will be difficult for him to achieve much there. What career move do you think he'd hope for, with less risk?

Timing is always key, and in relation to Potter, I think we've miscalculated BIG time.
We haven't miscalculated. Bloom has acted the moment the season ended, with the intention to bring in one new manager, and Potter is obviously not the only choice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No he isn't.

He might be reluctant to move his family. He might be reticent about whether he wants to move his family. He can't be reticent to move his family.
I fear my job is under threat.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I think we are all a little impatient but seeing as money does not look to be a problem its a case of communication with both east & west coast of USA for permission to approach & more likely Swansea trying to get their best offer in first & Potter thinking the choices over including whether to move his family again.

Assuming the three quoted people are those on the short list Potter is currently the only one 'free' to take the post immediately while Lampard will be another couple of weeks & Neville several more.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Assuming the three quoted people are those on the short list Potter is currently the only one 'free' to take the post immediately while Lampard will be another couple of weeks & Neville several more.

That would have to be the least inspiring and reassuring shortlist ever put together for any vacancy worldwide.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
That would have to be the least inspiring and reassuring shortlist ever put together for any vacancy worldwide.

Says the man who wants to keep a manager who racked up a tremendous 14 points in half a season.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Might as well go for Coleman,unless he's on a very slow boat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here