Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m sorry but Potter is not an exciting prospect, steady at best a failure in waiting at worst. In other words, no where near as proven and/or likely to keep us up or indeed bring us back up as CH.

Pointless (potential) appointment in the progressive or exciting stakes.

Fans of the clubs he’s worked at disagree with you. And frankly I’m excited by anyone who can deliver football where we average more than 1 shot a game.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Tend to agree. I think Hughton has the potential to be a very solid Premier League manager with the right opportunity. The problem he's got is that he's now got both Norwich and Brighton on his CV, where on the surface it looks like he got sacked for playing too negative and driving the clubs towards relegation (yes, I know we survived, but our last 23 games if extrapolated to a full season = nailed on relegation). He doesn't help himself with some of the interviews towards the tail end of the season, either, where his talk around how/where we might find some goals to help us fend off Cardiff sounded very negative - he didn't take the opportunity to talk up positive approaches to solving the problem, and instead made some very odd comments about maybe forcing an own goal or having a lucky deflected shot and the like. It also (from a distance) generally looked / sounded like over the last 5 or 6 games he'd decided that the road to safety was grinding out draws - but that wasn't going to get the team going again from a morale standpoint.

I fully expect a championship team to pick him up, and for that team to do really well under his tenure and push for / gain promotion. Hopefully he then gets what he needs once promoted to show what he's got. The key thing for Hughton as a manager is to do everything he can to avoid going into 'siege' mentality if he does experience a run of defeats. His strength appears to be on the defensive side (note: I'm not saying he's *too* defensive, just that this is where his strength lies). The thing he needs to be careful of is not falling back on that defensive strength as being "the answer" when having a challenging run.

Begone with your sensible, balanced post! We don't want your type round here!

This is a SHOUTY board for SHOUTY people!

Completely agree by the way. I love CH and was never in the out camp. But the one thing that frustrated me, even when we were playing well, was that every game was "a tough test" against "a very talented team" etc.

Fair enough, that was true. But Chris seemed to play our chances down at every opportunity. Also fair enough that we are often/generally underdogs in this division. But when things start to go pear, that attitude can drag you down.

A team already looking bereft of confidence don't need to be hearing how great the opposition are all the time. Ok if it's City, not if its Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle, Burnley and so on.

He bigged up the oppo way more than any other manager I saw in press conferences. Even "everyone's against plucky Cardiff" Colin. At first I saw it as part of CH being a total GENT (which he undoubtedly is) but after a while it started to grate. Perhaps another sign of no plan B.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He bigged up the oppo way more than any other manager I saw in press conferences. Even "everyone's against plucky Cardiff" Colin. At first I saw it as part of CH being a total GENT (which he undoubtedly is) but after a while it started to grate. Perhaps another sign of no plan B.

That's why we need Graham "We're going to **** their ****ing shit up" Potter in.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
What I like the sound of is Former Celtic and Barcelona player Henrik Larsson commented on Potter's pattern of play, stating he "played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

Something CH Severely lacked IMO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a perception that because of the Norwich job specifically, he is a negative manager and that has stuck with him. That notion is reinforced by the back end of this season of course, but isn't backed up by his time at Newcastle, or any of his seasons in the Championship with 3 other clubs, or our first season in the top flight.
The notion is backed up by our first season in the top flight. We had loads of discussion on whether he was too negative or not. Most here thought he was.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?361084-Are-WE-too-negative&highlight=negative

Weirdly, especially at home, I don't think we have been going out negative as such, just incredibly poor with players crippled by lack of confidence. We had no one to step in when key players were out injured, and we were left floundering. The conclusion our lack of shots was just through tactics leaves me slightly baffled when I could see us getting into great positions with plenty of players in support.

That perception is stuck with him now though, many think justified, many like myself feel it has been much more down to confidence and performance than tactics.
Agreed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It seems strange to me that a manager would be talking about bringing a player with him before even having formal discussions about his own move. Just letting people know what has been reported, and asking whether this is a usually-reliable source or not.
I think you've worked that one out on your own.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That's why we need Graham "We're going to **** their ****ing shit up" Potter in.
He does bear an uncanny resemblance to Jonathan Pie. If GP’s team talks/press conferences were to be anything like his rants then we'd be in for some fun.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What I like the sound of is Former Celtic and Barcelona player Henrik Larsson commented on Potter's pattern of play, stating he "played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."

Something CH Severely lacked IMO.
On the flip side some fans at Swansea thought he tinkered too much ..... Definitely sounds very different to Hughton.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Where's the FA Cup money and why wasn't it ringfenced?

Where's Dick Tight? Has he been quietly released with Hughton, Trollope and Nevin.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Knight bought Ostersunds with the 83 money he secretly trousered and as new chairmans first act, reinstalled the 3 muskateers

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Where's Dick Tight? Has he been quietly released with Hughton, Trollope and Nevin.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Knight bought Ostersunds with the 83 money he secretly trousered and as new chairmans first act, reinstalled the 3 muskateers

Leon Knight is still available. He could bring the giant flag with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here