Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Hayward Article in Telegraph

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
Very sad to see CH go but there were signs of discontent among the fans and after reading PH article amongst the squad to, if that is to be believed. My real gripe is that surly the club could of announced it differently with more respect for CH. Like 'Brighton and CH has parted by mutual consent' or something a bit similar. Right 'I'm going to have a beer'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My other half + 1 joined the season ticket waiting list just last season. They were number 4,000 and something.

Last week, despite only being able to buy on the 5th day of potential purchasing, they were able to get two season tickets together, in a good position in the WSU.

I realise this is anecdotal evidence, but even allowing for the waiting list purge of people/professional queue joiners put off by the £50 advance fee, that's a worrying sign of people not renewing and people not wanting to buy.

As I go about my business there seems to be much wider interest in all things Albion than ever before, and I think with the catering, music, kids stuff going on outside the stadium on matchdays the matchday experience has improved. This really does even out the highs and lows generated by the result alone.

However, the club needs to get back to playing a brand of football that balances defence and attack, I feel we've lost a bit of flair along the way.

I think - deep down - Bloom liked that Poyet Latin-influenced style with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Ulloa.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It always seemed like all attacking players were selected for their defensive qualities and discipline (eg willingness to track back). And new players weren't trusted for ages...

Sorry, double post. After after timing in its finest :wozza:

Last edited:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
My other half + 1 joined the season ticket waiting list just last season. They were number 4,000 and something.

Last week, despite only being able to buy on the 5th day of potential purchasing, they were able to get two season tickets together, in a good position in the WSU.

I realise this is anecdotal evidence, but even allowing for the waiting list purge of people/professional queue joiners put off by the £50 advance fee, that's a worrying sign of people not renewing and people not wanting to buy.

I turned down one this year - nothing to do with the football (I have a young baby now) - but I’d imagine lots of people are on the list and don’t convert in to purchasers for various reasons. The “no shots” footballing philosophy won’t have helped though

Interesting, think this kind of stuff it very relevant to today's shock decision

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They stuck it out through the Hypia debacle but decided to jump ship now? All because of the standard of football? Really?

Erm yes, it was all about the PL. Hyppia wasn't a full season either. Why would you cancel a ticket mid season ??? You wouldn't get anything back. Bit of an odd thing to say really. I suppose you were more than happy with our play from January onwards then plenty more weren't

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8911434 said:
That article reads like it was written by someone who hasn't watched us play all season.

Have to agree. I know Hayward is a long term Brighton fan but he's a journo who covers many other matches so doesn't get the chance to watch Brighton live. He obviously has a connection with CH which is fair enough but as others have said, the Guardian article seems closer to the a believable truth.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think - deep down - Bloom liked that Poyet Latin-influenced style with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Ulloa.

This, I think, is what it boils down to. Not necesarily Latin but certainly possession based attacking football. Imagine being Tony Bloom, investing £350m (or whatever it is now) of your own money in to a stadium, training ground, youth academy and playing squad, and then having your club derided throughout the football world in this country as the most boring, unambitious, defensive side to grace the Premier League in years. A side that loses 5-0 at home to Bournemouth, which should be a sackable offence just on it's own.

It has seemed to me Bloom has been aiming towards a club DNA of young players playing possession football ever since he took over. Hughton was a pragmatic choice after the disaster that was Hyypia but has been the only appointment (or even rumoured apppointment) that has been outside of that template. The appointment of Ashworth, investment in under 23 squad and training ground all point towards this being the way forward. I just hope that if Potter, or whoever else is next, fails Bloom will remember to stick with this philosophy and not go back to pragmatism.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is from the Star..
It's been an incredible season in the Premier League, but Bloom sacking Hughton might just be the most astonishing thing to happen of all.
Lolz

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ian Wright tweets are fairly balanced on this and where I’m at I think.

Also makes a good point that at least 2 of the 3 promoted teams could be fairly strong and we could easily find ourselves struggling if we carried on as is

Both automatically promoted teams will be shit.
Ian Wright is, imo, a moron.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I love our club but the Poyet sacking and now this seem to have been handled quite badly. I don't have so much pity for Poyet as he was a bit of a dick but Hughton absolutely deserved the dignity of 'leaving by mutual consent'. IMO the club would not be facing the autopsy they now are had it been done that way.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People keep saying over and over that the signings weren't down to CH, yet we've been told countless times that he has the final say on them all. Including by the man himself I believe!

Sad to see him go and recruitment not the main issue. Neither is formation exactly. I think the extreme defensive tactics and mentality, especially in the first half of every game including against teams who should be below us (even at home) is the main culprit AFTER that shocking run of results when we had a chance to bounce back and completely whiffed against 4 or 5 very average teams.

The signs were there that even if we shouldn't have been 10th, we equally shouldn't then crash and burn down to 17th and be quite a step points wise below 16th. We have a nice squad and the time was right to freshern things up. Thanks CH, a legend for sure. Took over an excellent championship CLUB who'd had a blip and sold some players, but did good business and built a team and community which was Prem Ready.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The common thread between the Telegraph and Guardian pieces is the unhappiness about what’s happened in training. Whether those papers have spoken to senior players, or coaching staff, who knows. Or even a technical director who might have been unhappy with the way he found things...

Oh look, and here’s someone telling the Sun that the Technical Director was unhappy with the way he found things. The lines are getting easier to read between.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9065271/inside-brightons-decision-to-sack-hughton/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballfacebook130519&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1557781295

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Erm yes, it was all about the PL. Hyppia wasn't a full season either. Why would you cancel a ticket mid season ??? You wouldn't get anything back. Bit of an odd thing to say really. I suppose you were more than happy with our play from January onwards then plenty more weren't
After hyypia was awful football from Hughton. Many were unhappy at that time. So yes, it is still a surprise to me but each to their own I guess.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Because he is and has a very impressive CV

Football Association: Director of Marketing and Communications

Spurs: Executive Director

Vancouver Whitecaps: CEO

Brighton: CEO, Deputy Chairman.

Sits on FA Council.

The "industry" was incredibly surprised when he turned down Premier League offers on return from Canada to join Brighton in the Championship.

At the FA he would have negotiated with all the major broadcasters. He was also responsible for the successful "England on the Road" tour when they re-built Wembley.

Bloom got his man.
So because people say he is. That's all I hear. Have not seen any evidence of this from his role at Brighton.

Not sure how impressive that cv is pre Brighton either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here