Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] European Parliament Elections (23rd May 2019)

Who will you be voting for in the upcoming EU elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
1. I am still torn between Green, LibDem and ChangeUK, they all have something going for them - Libs are established pro - EU with traditionally the largest third party vote, Change bring something new to the table which is always welcomed and I like their MP's, and Green have other, equally important things to say than just a stand on Brexit. I think it's hopeless trying to get Remainers to coalesce in one place, instead we should vote for who we prefer, accept that Farage will get the largest vote, and hopefully point to remain parties combined having a larger vote share. Will prob vote Green and feel good about it.

2. Tories will get smashed. It's true its an election that doesn't mean much, full of protest votes, but voting can be a habit, and when that habit is broken people can feel a freedom to keep voting in different ways. Same will be true of Labour to a certain degree, and so next general election could be very interesting.

3. Longer term, could we possibly see constituency voting split 6 ways in future elections , and if so how long could first-past-the-post endure?

4. My father-in-law voted Remain, reads the Mail, likes Corbyn and thinks he'll be next PM, is a staunch Tory voter in GE's (for an ERG MP), can't stand May, his all time favourite politician is Paddy Ashdown, wants Brexit overturned and will vote for Farage in the Euros. He likes 'characters' :shrug: lesson, individual anecdotes are worthless in judging what an election means :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That was 20 years ago, it could have just as easily been a Tory. It wasn't like it was LD party policy to wipe Albion off the map

Better than voting for a party that basically prepared to make the UK extinct for the sake of a Little Englander style Brexit.

The LD party did absolutely diddly squat about what LDC and Baker were doing despite knowing. I vowed then never to vote for them again and I will stick to that vow for the rest of my life. I guess we could also forgive Archer ..... after all it was more than 20 years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The LD party did absolutely diddly squat about what LDC and Baker were doing despite knowing. I vowed then never to vote for them again and I will stick to that vow for the rest of my life. I guess we could also forgive Archer ..... after all it was more than 20 years ago.

I can remember local LibDems joining in with our protest outside the Brighton Centre when they had their conference. You are just keeping up a prejudice because of a couple of rotten politicians. All parties have them.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can remember local LibDems joining in with our protest outside the Brighton Centre when they had their conference. You are just keeping up a prejudice because of a couple of rotten politicians. All parties have them.

And other parties have MORE.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Its a PR vote all you have to decide is which order to put the remain parties in. There is a chance they could knock each other out habing failed to agree a common approach but nothing a voter can do anout that except take a careful view of which party is likely to get best result. Personally I shall vote 1st LD 2nd GREEN. The lib dems have established organisation on the ground and did at least try to get the 3 parties together. Change uk tactic seems to be to try and replace the LDs which I think may quite possibly destroy them both.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So looking at that chart it says without tactical voting the result would be:
Con 2, Lab 2, Lib1, Chuk 1, Brexit 4

with tactical voting
Con 2, Lab 2, Lib 2, Chuk 0, Brexit 4
(no effect really)

and then basically suggest in every region in England that Remainers should vote Lib Dem.

Was the website set up by LibDems?

Was my thoughts too. 'Vote Lib Dem everywhere'. A vote for the Greens, is a vote for 'Climate change only'. Bit suspect.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Its a PR vote all you have to decide is which order to put the remain parties in. There is a chance they could knock each other out habing failed to agree a common approach but nothing a voter can do anout that except take a careful view of which party is likely to get best result. Personally I shall vote 1st LD 2nd GREEN. The lib dems have established organisation on the ground and did at least try to get the 3 parties together. Change uk tactic seems to be to try and replace the LDs which I think may quite possibly destroy them both.
I think you just put a cross for 1 party and then the PR is decided by the D'Hondt method.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Hmmmm ..... let me see .....

Bellotti - they were made fully aware of what he was doing at the Albion and yet still allowed him to stand as a candidate in Bath after he nearly destroyed our club
LDC - misspending of public funds on yet further legal challenges and against a majority of their voters wishes according to polling
LDC - holding of closed door meetings about their campaign against the Falmer that should have been public
LDC - complete lies in the leaflet they published about the 'destruction' the stadium would create ..... does anyone have a photo of Ditchling Beacon I can borrow ?
LDC - a certain member trying to get Roz South arrested and charged over THAT Wanted poster ..... and nearly succeeded thanks to Sussex Police's complicity
Baker - anyone fancy a walk from the station to Wilson Avenue, it won't take long
Baker - hotel anyone ? Of course not.
Local elections - who can forget the treatment of Lord B (RIP) by the Lib Dem candidates, some of it on TV

All these individuals and bodies were backed by the central party machinery and funding. A few more than a couple of 'rotten apples'.

So you may be able to forgive and forget ...... some of us can't.

But feel free to

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

This seems the only way to go, IMHO

Edit: and given the post above, it has to be just LD down here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmmmm ..... let me see .....

Bellotti - they were made fully aware of what he was doing at the Albion and yet still allowed him to stand as a candidate in Bath after he nearly destroyed our club
LDC - misspending of public funds on yet further legal challenges and against a majority of their voters wishes according to polling
LDC - holding of closed door meetings about their campaign against the Falmer that should have been public
LDC - complete lies in the leaflet they published about the 'destruction' the stadium would create ..... does anyone have a photo of Ditchling Beacon I can borrow ?
LDC - a certain member trying to get Roz South arrested and charged over THAT Wanted poster ..... and nearly succeeded thanks to Sussex Police's complicity
Baker - anyone fancy a walk from the station to Wilson Avenue, it won't take long
Baker - hotel anyone ? Of course not.
Local elections - who can forget the treatment of Lord B (RIP) by the Lib Dem candidates, some of it on TV

All these individuals and bodies were backed by the central party machinery and funding. A few more than a couple of 'rotten apples'.

So you may be able to forgive and forget ...... some of us can't.

But feel free to

That's quite an accusation. I presume you have proof.

As I said before, I was demonstrating outside the Brighton centre, and many LibDems (including those in Brighton & Hove) were apologising for their fellow politicians in Lewes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This seems the only way to go, IMHO

Edit: and given the post above, it has to be just LD down here.

I think you're right. Greens will get a lot of support in Brighton, but that's just one parliamentary constutuency in the SE region, which is made up of 84 constutuencies and has only 10 seats. They may or may not retain their South East MEP so could end up being a wasted 8-9% of votes. Likewise, I'm fairly sure that a vote for ChUK will be wasted outside of London. LDs are making their campaign all about Brexit - the campaign slogan is 'Bollocks to Brexit' - and rightly so in my opinion.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Apart from all the slanging and arguments above, I will now be away on election day. How do I get a postal vote organised during next week?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here