Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Current World XI Draft

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd just stick a nice big picture of him on here now, to reaffirm your claim for the big man...

I would but I don't want to confuse matters by shoving pictures in when it's not my turn, could lead to unnecessary explanations!

That said; Mandzukic. Mine! (as claimed for my second draft pick in post 178)

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
And with the 31st pick in the World XI Draft - Reinelt12 chooses in Category 5 (Has been the top goalscorer in a top-flight season)

Was top scorer for Lyon in 2007-2008, Twice French footballer of the year and a 1 in 2 strike rate for both Lyon and Real Madrid - I give you...

Karim Benzema

Karim-Benzema-Real-Madrid-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
[MENTION=4147]shaolinpunk[/MENTION] - over to you!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've decided to fill category 7 nice and early. There aren't many top players that have been relegated in their career, but my next pick was part of the Villareal side that was relegated from La Liga a few years ago. He is also the man that has displaced Iker Casillas as Madrid's first choice 'keeper.

DIEGO LOPEZ

diego-lopez.jpg

[MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION]' turn

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
For Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries having played in Columbia (Lanceros Boyacá) Argentina (River Plate) Portugal (porto) Spain (Atlético Madrid) and France (Monaco) - and with 137 goals in 234 appearances domestically and 20 goals in 51 appearances internationally
- I pick Radamel Falcao
Radamel-falcao.jpg

Radamel Falcao García Zárate (Spanish pronunciation: [raðaˈmel falˈkao]; 10 February 1986), commonly known simply as Radamel Falcao, Falcao García or Falcao in South America, is a Colombian football striker, who plays for AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 and represents the Colombia national football team. He is sometimes nicknamed as El Tigre (Spanish for The Tiger) and King of the Europa League.

Falcao has been cited among the top strikers in the world. Falcao surpassed Jürgen Klinsmann's record of 15 goals (17) in a single annual club football European competition UEFA Champions League/UEFA Europa League campaign in 2011. He also played a key role in guiding F.C. Porto to a second Europa League title, as well as finishing undefeated in the 2010–11 Primeira Liga season. In July 2011, Falcao received the Portuguese Golden Ball award, becoming the first Colombian to do so. He came fifth in the 2012 FIFA Ballon d'Or. Falcao also won both the GQ Spain award for sportsman of the year and the Globe Best Footballer in 2012. In 2012, Falcao was listed the sixth best footballer in the world by The Guardian. He was named in the FIFA XI for 2012.

In his first three seasons in European football, Falcao scored over 100 goals. Falcao had played a key role in Atlético Madrid's 12 match winning streak in a single Europa League season, making it the first team to do so. He also became the top goal scorer in both tournaments. Falcao won his first UEFA Super Cup in 2012, becoming the first player in history to score a hat trick in the contest since its reform in 1998. On 9 December 2012, Falcao scored five goals in one game in a 6–0 home victory against Deportivo de La Coruña. In the 2013 Copa del Rey Final, Falcao played a crucial part in Atlético Madrid's victory over Real Madrid, ending the 14 year unbeaten streak which Real Madrid had held in matches against Atlético prior to the final.

With 137 goals in 234 appearances domestically and 20 goals in 51 appearances internationally
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1999–2000 Lanceros Boyacá 8 (1)
2005–2009 River Plate 90 (34)
2009–2011 Porto 51 (41)
2011–2013 Atlético Madrid 68 (52)
2013– Monaco 17 (9)
National team‡
2005–2007 Colombia U20 3 (2)
2007– Colombia 51 (20)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radamel_Falcao#Porto

[MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] - your up

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Damn! Was hoping the fact he's injured would mean I could pick him up next round.

Optimistic :(

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Morning all.

EDINSON CAVANI.

For my money one of the most exciting players in the game today, the definition of 'natural goalscorer', ambipedal, can go wide or lead the line, has a MONSTER of a boot on him - and for the purposes of this was top scorer in Serie A last year. Phwoar.

cavani-napoli-manchester-city-nationalturk-0267-e1322040197894.jpg
[MENTION=13051]jay[/MENTION]_Cartwright next

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Mats Hummels ( Cat 8)

Relatively young defender, who only fits into one category, his Dortmund side losing 2-1 to Bayern Munich in the champions league final last year.
[MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My next pick has had some bad press on NSC this week, but I don't care as he is an exciting attacking player, but a bit of a risk as he will only fits into one category. He is currently 5th in the 13/14 premier league assists league with 9 and has also scored 7 times. He has scored 20 times for Spain in 78 appearances.

Category 1 - Has played at least 200 times for one club
Category 2 – Has made over 70 International appearances David Silva
Category 3 - Has never played at a World Cup
Category 4 - Plays/Manages outside the “top 5” leagues
Category 5 – Has been the top goal scorer in a top-flight season
Category 6 – Played football in at least 4 different countries Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Category 7 – Has been relegated during his career
Category 8 – Has played in a Champions League Semi-Final/Final.
Category 9 – Is under 24 years of age
Category 10 - Has won a league title with 2 different clubs
Category 11 – Is over 30 years old
Category 12 - Has faced Brighton at some point in his career

[MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION]

David_Silva.ashx

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
AlbionAlex - Cristiano Ronaldo
Frutos - Lionel Messi
The_Viper - Manuel Neuer
JOLovegrove - Gareth Bale
Gazwag - Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Silva
Jay_Cartwright - Neymar, Mats Hummels
MattBackHome - Andrea Pirlo, Edinson Cavani
Guy Fawkes - Iker Casillas, Radamel Falcao
ShaolinPunk - Luis Suarez, Diego Lopez
Reinelt12 - Arjen Robben, Karim Benzema
PauldCPFC - Phillip Lahm, Vincent Kompany
GullFlyingHigh - Yaya Toure, Mario Mandzukic
Moggy - Bastian Schweinsteiger, Gianluigi Buffon
Turienzo's Lovechild - Andres Iniesta, Xavi
Hamilton - Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard
GNLF - Robin Van Persie, Javier Mascherano
STRIPEYSHARK - Wesley Sneijder, Joe Hart
Shatner's Bassoon - Robert Lewandowski, Sergio Busquets
Rohana - Eden Hazard, Thiago Silva
TomFitz12 - Ronaldihno, Franck Ribery

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Starting to get tricky now - I've seen a couple of my provisional picks disappear over the last few drafts, but thus far I've managed to keep a team together that I'd be very happy to end up with.

Interestingly, I reckon I've found two top, well known players who don't fit into ANY of the categories. Both would surely have been drafted (by me, if no-one else!) if they were available. It'll be interesting to see at the end of this all what big names haven't "qualified".

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Starting to get tricky now - I've seen a couple of my provisional picks disappear over the last few drafts, but thus far I've managed to keep a team together that I'd be very happy to end up with.

Interestingly, I reckon I've found two top, well known players who don't fit into ANY of the categories. Both would surely have been drafted (by me, if no-one else!) if they were available. It'll be interesting to see at the end of this all what big names haven't "qualified".

CORRECTION: One player.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

And therein lies the dilemma, not every player you pick qualifies in the categories

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
At 21:36 I can then make my pick if [MENTION=23421]JOLovegrove[/MENTION] hasn't right?

Yup.

Was wondering if people want to lower the time limit to speed up the game, or if we should keep it at 10 to give people who are at work/asleep etc a chance

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
And therein lies the dilemma, not every player you pick qualifies in the categories

So far I've got a team that works, category-wise, but I suspect it's going to get pretty tricky in a couple of areas soon enough

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yup.

Was wondering if people want to lower the time limit to speed up the game, or if we should keep it at 10 to give people who are at work/asleep etc a chance

I think if you do lower it then there would have to be a night time cut off period. I think it's ok at the moment as there haven't been many times it's stopped.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think if you do lower it then there would have to be a night time cut off period. I think it's ok at the moment as there haven't been many times it's stopped.

I agree.

Unless there start being serious issues to the flow of the picks, I see no reason to change the limit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here