Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton tactic offers up an opportunity for more Man City opponents

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I do understand, and largely agree with, your point. I do wonder if it’s not somehow a little reckless to try to play expansive football away against the big 6 though. I think it would be more pragmatic and likely lead to a better end position (even if only on GD) if we were a bit more defensive in those six games. After all, there are 32 other games to play attractive attacking football and in which to “learn much more about our players”.

Your GD point picks a hole in my feeling that GP simply thought we'd lose no matter what, so why not chuck in our shiny new expensive defender and go out play the way we want to play for the rest of the season and see what happens - his "how do you want to die?" approach. For my money though, four games in and not thinking about GD just yet feels happier. After all, his overall 'philosophy' is patently a good one.

'xciting times.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Of course Pep was complimentary to us. He wants all visiting teams to play like that as he knows that unexpected dropped points against bottom half teams will decide the title and that if enough park the bus eventually it will work. He’ll always fancy his chances in a slugfest. The compliment was an appeal to the egos of other manager’s to try the same.

It feels good to be the Kosovo rather than the Bulgaria though

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do understand, and largely agree with, your point. I do wonder if it’s not somehow a little reckless to try to play expansive football away against the big 6 though. I think it would be more pragmatic and likely lead to a better end position (even if only on GD) if we were a bit more defensive in those six games. After all, there are 32 other games to play attractive attacking football and in which to “learn much more about our players”.

I’m looking forward to the day we blow away a top six team who turn up thinking they have won before a ball is kicked. I predict that it will happen this season. Much like CH couldn’t embrace changing his philosophy at this level I feel GP is much the same about his philosophy

To manage 50% possession away to City means we must have done something right, as Pep said the strikers were the difference, elsewhere we came close to matching them imo

I’m a little disappointed in some of our fans reaction to that game, it’s almost like they have accepted we don’t belong in this division. I was really uplifted to watch the way we knocked the ball about and broke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally disagree with that. Could have been 6 or 7 nil despite City being flat.

But it wasn’t. I’d much rather Potters Top-6 approach than Hughton’s.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Or keeping a club in the PL :wink:

Having adopted the tactics, and repeatedly played players out of position, that very nearly got us relegated in the first place.

Much as I will always be deeply grateful to CH for getting us into the PL - obviously greatly assisted by the benevolence of Uncle Tony - and still think he is a really nice guy, the fact is that his negativity almost took us down last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here