Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whelp, this has been a disappointing season no matter how you cut it, and by the way he’s playing looks like he’s extremely low on confidence. Ball bounces a meter off his feet when receiving, he’s never been like this. Does not seem his teammates give him much support, and really haven’t since the beginning. I guess that is part of the “tough” nature of the EPL, especially for players who thrive in a constructive and supportive environment. I think everyone’s disappointed, most of all him.

All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”, behavior of his “fan base”, etc. Makes me wonder if there is more than meets the eye behind the hyperbole, and whether if he was a good white lad from the English countryside if people would be disappointed but not rude or condescending as they are now.

Here’s hoping he gets loaned out of the UK, maybe to Bundesliga or La Liga, think he’d do better in a league style with more skill and less brute force.

"I'd drive him there myself" is an English football idiom or in joke. It just means he's not very good in the opinion of the writer.

We've had plenty of hopeless Brits and Europeans just in our Amex history. Off the top of my head Gary Gardner, Ryan Harley, Stephen Dobbie and Billy Paynter have all stunk out our team and have been ruthlessly called out on here. The last three also supposedly attacking players who contributed nothing positive to the scoreboard. And that's the issue. ZERO goals. ZERO assists. And looks like a fish out of water. He's just not good enough - at the moment. That's why I suggested a loan to the Championship. The defenders there are arguably more physical but nowhere near as good. If he doesn't rip that up he's never going to survive the Premier League.

And let's forget the nonsense about supportive team mates as well. For the whole of Hughton's time here the togetherness of the squad and their willingness to work for each other has been a massive factor in our success. If anything it's his reluctance to put in a shift that would isolate him.

But yeah, his legions of fanboys certainly won't be missed on Insta or FB with their latent homophobia and inability to accept that (at this level) he's not very good.

Perhaps it’s just a case of him being homesick or just hasn’t settled in our city?

Whatever it is - he is clearly well out of his depth with us. For the sake of the club & for him I think we should shake hands & part. He is the first of several changes that I believe need to be made. I hope we do much of our dealings sooner rather than later. We are now one of the big boys!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whether it was enough to be a penalty or not, it was such a naive tackle to make in that area of the pitch.

Yep, we don't want our players winning the ball cleanly in our own area, he definitely should have let Monreal run through unchallenged :facepalm:

He's been poor this season, but for the last few months playing in a team that has no confidence can't have helped when he was already struggling. If we chased him for that long we must have seen something. It's a question of whether we can build his confidence and belief over the summer break or whether a loan would be better for that. Having chased him and signed him on a long contract, I can't realistically see him going over this summer.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whelp, this has been a disappointing season no matter how you cut it, and by the way he’s playing looks like he’s extremely low on confidence. Ball bounces a meter off his feet when receiving, he’s never been like this. Does not seem his teammates give him much support, and really haven’t since the beginning. I guess that is part of the “tough” nature of the EPL, especially for players who thrive in a constructive and supportive environment. I think everyone’s disappointed, most of all him.

All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”, behavior of his “fan base”, etc. Makes me wonder if there is more than meets the eye behind the hyperbole, and whether if he was a good white lad from the English countryside if people would be disappointed but not rude or condescending as they are now.

Here’s hoping he gets loaned out of the UK, maybe to Bundesliga or La Liga, think he’d do better in a league style with more skill and less brute force.

So all the criticism he is getting from the fanbase is because the poor little lamb doesn’t have a constructive and supportive environment around him and he’s not white and English ? Why aren’t Bernardo and Bissouma getting similar criticism then ? Because that’s utter crap, that’s why.

He’s getting criticism because, so far, he’s done virtually nothing to indicate why we paid £17m for him. No goals, no assists, no pace, no strength, poor control, doesn’t track back. I’ve been on the fence and prepared to give him time to settle in and prove himself, but it’s increasingly looking like he’s totally out of his depth. He was hooked yesterday after contributing nothing. Knockaert made an immediate difference.

His millions of loyal followers will never accept that if course, but will look to blame someone or something else.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Does not seem his teammates give him much support, and really haven’t since the beginning.

All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”.

I do like your posts and I hope he has a good pre-season a resemblance of form, however, the above is utter nonsense.

All season you’ve hidden behind no support from teammates - utter rubbish.

‘Driving him back’, yes a bit silly, but when Fulham offered to buy Lewis Dunk, we had people ready to drive him. Same for others.

In terms of being loaned out, perhaps you’re right, based on what we’ve seen (after all) maybe it’s just too higher level for him. After all pace and quickness of thought are apparently not strongpoints in his game, and because of the pace you do in fact need better touch and a greater degree of skill. The PL is the most competitive league in the world, there are no easy games.

La Liga more space and time, Bundersliga i would say is more similar to PL, that’s why some Spanish players also struggle in the PL and German players do okay.

That said, we do all want AJ to succeed and as I have posted before, he can have a rest in the summer (no World Cup) get fitter, start at the same point as colleagues in pre-season and hopefully steer clear of any niggling injuries, then we can see what he’s about.

But next season is a big one for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Yeah, or maybe he's just a bit shit.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
AK looked more of a threat going forward in 10 mins of the restart than AJ did in the 47 mins of the first half, can’t remember him in full flow attacking the opponents goal at all this season.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Expect he won't feature on Sunday.

We all had high hopes for him, compounded by the high transfer fee. Everyone wants him to kick on but is a long way off the pace and physicality of the league.

We're too invested to sell unfortunately. We need to hope the summer break and return after a full pre-season allows him to raise his game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This season’s hit on the club’s P&L account will be of the order of £5.5m - £17/5 amortisation and £2m ish wages plus employers’ NI. Has he been worth that? Has he f*ck. unmitigated disaster so far. Needs to materially up his game next season if he’s still with us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like Locadia, I'm really struggling to see it.

The 'out of position', 'wrong side' and 'only shines with an offensive game' excuses are getting seriously tedious.

Solly March seems to do ok under the same conditions.

It's going to be a big pre-season for him (somewhere).

Does he though?

1 goal and 5 assists from 34 appearances, not to mention a fair few catcalls along the way.
All from a player who has been healthy for 2 (citation needed!) full seasons, and has been at the club longer than the manager.

The excuses might be tedious but the fact that nothing (literally) nothing has changed since they first were raised would suggest they can't be tedious 'now'.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Don't forget in the beginning he was the one making us wait deciding whether the Championship with Brighton was too low a level for him and should he go straight to a Premier league side. We don't care where he is from, anyone can be a legend here if they do the business, unfortunately for what ever reason he doesn't!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’d drive him to a football skills programme if would help improve his technique. He has been so underwhelming - like Locardia.

Personally, I can’t see either cutting the mustard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”, behavior of his “fan base”, etc. Makes me wonder if there is more than meets the eye behind the hyperbole, and whether if he was a good white lad from the English countryside if people would be disappointed but not rude or condescending as they are now..

Total horseshit . No one gives a shit where an Albion player comes from. Proven over the years !

He's just not prem standard or as good as you and I hoped he would be.

He wont be the first to look a world beater for their country against not great sides / dutch league .... but not cut it . It happens.

Unfortunately for us , we are the ones who prob get stuck with him for a while and have 17m down the toilet. You can follow other Iranian players so doesn't matter so much.

Championship move be good but I am not convinced would be good enough

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here