Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fans’ gripes

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think with the injuries we had and the bedding in of new players we are doing more than OK. I think it’s building on last years
success in staying in the division. Carry on, much more to come IMO.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
2018: NSC would look a very different place this afternoon if even 2 of Wolves' 25 shots had gone in. It was a piss-poor home performance by the Albion whichever way you look at it. Well, apart from the 3 points, obviously. At some point sometime our heroic defenders deserve some kind of respite from being human shields. Our attacks are increasingly few and far between. Those desperate 1-0's playing much the same side as we had in the Championship won't see us comfortably through the season. We're riding the very edge of our luck currently.

I am getting a bit bored with disagreeing with you. Can't you say something nice for a change??? :shrug::rolleyes::lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Admittedly we haven't been too easy on the eye in recent games and those nine points have been earned at a time when we look below par in our attacking and build-up play.

But we know that this side can also play fast, fluent, passing football – AND with a rock-solid defence. That will be a pretty impressive combination when everything clicks.

Glenn Murray talked about us going "back to basics" in recent games and concentrating on clean sheets. That's obviously worked. Now we just need to see the more positive, attacking side of our play get back to previous levels.

Izquierdo is getting back to the form we saw last season. Knockaert is superb on his day. Add a returning Gross to the equation and I'd be hopeful of seeing some more exhilirating football as the season wears on.

This

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
TBh I don’t mind winning 1-0 each week playing dull football, what I do mind is being put through a bombarding assault by visiting non top six sides for the last 15 minutes, that isn’t enjoyable especially when we hit them on the counter twice and **** it up!

That sums up my own feelings pretty well. I would rather play attractive football and am confident we will get back to it. The points in the bag is very reassuring.

But it would be nice on occasion to have a two goal cushion. I haven't enjoyed the last two home matches particularly because of the nerve shredding. Against Wolves, though, I did feel more confident earlier on (i.e. at about 85 mins) that we would hold on.

But then that confidence was sorely tested even in the time added on...… Thank God for Maty Ryan!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
On 10/28/2018 at 13:16, Howay said:
Sadly it’s what we are though, this has been the case for the majority of this blokes ownership of the club. We’re shite relegation fodder.

If we do go down this time I’m at the point where I don’t really want us to bounce back up. It doesn’t seem like he’s going to sell if we’re in the Premier League unless someone came in with an outrageously over the top offer. I’d rather not watch this dick head bleed the club every year while we have to suffer watching players completely out of their depth struggle against ****ing Brighton.

The point is moot anyway though, if Rafa leaves and this lot go down there’s not a chance they’d bounce up, the squad is so poorly invested in that we’re behind the top championship sides.

#teamslikebrighton

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I really don't see how any of those with the exception of Villa "belong" in the Premier League. With our facilities and expenditure, our claim is bigger than theirs in the present day.

But that’s the problem, being a big club and deserving a place at the top table isn’t about now, it’s all about the past - and there were two European Cup winners in my list and a team who think they invented football... I could have added Sheffield Wednesday to my list but that would have been pushing things a bit too far...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which one are you?

1. I’d rather win 1-0, keep a clean sheet, 3 more points on the board and bollocks whether we deserved it or not.

or

2. I prefer that we lost 4-3 in a jolly exciting and entertaining game, full of incidents and drama and no little skill. Oh well, better luck next time. Still, much better than a boring 1-0 win with only one shot on target.

Many on the Wolves fans forum much preferred the expansive, attacking play to our “dull, negative” approach. Fair enough. But we got the 3 points and they didn’t. Had the reverse scenario happened I wonder whether their opinion would have changed?

All about the tools at a managers disposal.

Gathering a stack of amazing players on huge wages in the blink of an eye turned an awful Wolves team we ripped apart at Molyneux 18 months ago, into a media loved squad destined for amazing things apparently.

Neves, Cavaleiro, Traore, Moutinho, Boly, Jota, Costa, Bonatini were brought in, as they did a PSG/ManC. Without that $$$$ lot, they’d be languishing in the Championship playing forgettable football.

CH is doing a great job with our resources, and the Albion’s Board are building the club brilliantly for the future.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That sums up my own feelings pretty well. I would rather play attractive football and am confident we will get back to it. The points in the bag is very reassuring.

But it would be nice on occasion to have a two goal cushion. I haven't enjoyed the last two home matches particularly because of the nerve shredding. Against Wolves, though, I did feel more confident earlier on (i.e. at about 85 mins) that we would hold on.

But then that confidence was sorely tested even in the time added on...… Thank God for Maty Ryan!

Indeed

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But that’s the problem, being a big club and deserving a place at the top table isn’t about now, it’s all about the past - and there were two European Cup winners in my list and a team who think they invented football... I could have added Sheffield Wednesday to my list but that would have been pushing things a bit too far...

As they say, the past is the past - history. Do you think that no southern teams should have joined the Football League? Sheffield was a "big club" when the city was booming as the steel making capital of a mighty empire. Now it is a very sad place with high unemployment, and the only claim to its fame being a shopping center. The world moves on, and with shifts in wealth, football teams success will follow (unless distorted by wealthy outsider owners - and even then Forest failed).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Admittedly we haven't been too easy on the eye in recent games and those nine points have been earned at a time when we look below par in our attacking and build-up play.

But we know that this side can also play fast, fluent, passing football – AND with a rock-solid defence. That will be a pretty impressive combination when everything clicks.

Glenn Murray talked about us going "back to basics" in recent games and concentrating on clean sheets. That's obviously worked. Now we just need to see the more positive, attacking side of our play get back to previous levels.

Izquierdo is getting back to the form we saw last season. Knockaert is superb on his day. Add a returning Gross to the equation and I'd be hopeful of seeing some more exhilirating football as the season wears on.

Yep.

These nine points are going to be the foundation for keeping us up. We needed those points after the start we had and the injuries we were suffering. If we were still down in low single figures we'd be on our way to a long old season of struggling and fighting, but those nine points have given us a foundation to develop our game, bring players into the first team, experiment a little and so on.

We needed them points and I don't care how we got them

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
At the beginning of the season, I watched Huddersfield, Newcastle and our games with interest, (Obv. ours with more interest :) )
I think there IS such a thing as second season syndrome.
The players from Hudds and Newcastle don't seem to have quite the same intensity and desire as the same time last year.

The same could be said of our performances; Watford, Southampton and Fulham being cases in point, notwithstanding the recovery in 2 of those games.
(Man. U. is an outlier. Who wouldn't raise their game against them having beaten them at the tail end of last season).

The difference, is that Chris has identified the problem early, and gone back to basics. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some hard truths about workrate and desire weren't aired at some point in the dressing room, and on the training pitch.

When the level of intensity to our play has once more become ingrained, the team can go back to working on passing accuracy, a.k.a. ball retention, which is what improved through all of last season, and is woefully inadequate in our current play.

We have ground out 3 1-0 victories by going back to basics... defence... without having the ability to pass the ball to each other.
Without those 9 points, we would be down the table with Newcastle and Hudds. Two teams who I believe are having similar issues to those we had at the start of the season, but who's managers have not managed to put right yet.

This may also be the reason why we are seeing our expensive new signings on the bench more often than not.

el punal

At the beginning of the season, I watched Huddersfield, Newcastle and our games with interest, (Obv. ours with more interest :) )
I think there IS such a thing as second season syndrome.
The players from Hudds and Newcastle don't seem to have quite the same intensity and desire as the same time last year.

The same could be said of our performances; Watford, Southampton and Fulham being cases in point, notwithstanding the recovery in 2 of those games.
(Man. U. is an outlier. Who wouldn't raise their game against them having beaten them at the tail end of last season).

The difference, is that Chris has identified the problem early, and gone back to basics. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some hard truths about workrate and desire weren't aired at some point in the dressing room, and on the training pitch.

When the level of intensity to our play has once more become ingrained, the team can go back to working on passing accuracy, a.k.a. ball retention, which is what improved through all of last season, and is woefully inadequate in our current play.

We have ground out 3 1-0 victories by going back to basics... defence... without having the ability to pass the ball to each other.
Without those 9 points, we would be down the table with Newcastle and Hudds. Two teams who I believe are having similar issues to those we had at the start of the season, but who's managers have not managed to put right yet.

This may also be the reason why we are seeing our expensive new signings on the bench more often than not.

Prior to the West Ham game I felt that we would need at least nine points from the next six fixtures (West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Everton, Cardiff and Leicester) - all the teams below or around us. Fortune has smiled on us, three games in and the nine points in the bag, and, with the added bonus that the teams below us have contrived to lose or scrape draws against fellow relegation rivals.

That state of affairs must be an absolute confidence booster for Chris and the boys, especially as we have struggled in certain areas of the pitch. I just wonder, with the monkey off our back by winning away at Newcastle, whether we change our strategy for away games and become a bit more adventurous? Whatever, I am more than happy with how things have panned out and maybe, just maybe, we might achieve our highest ever position in the top flight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, a fray knot. Wouldn't be easier for both of us if you just added me to your extensive Ignore list? :moo:

:facepalm:

That's reserved for trolls, racists and lunatics. I am no more likely to block you than start supporting Scotland. :thumbsup:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
2018: NSC would look a very different place this afternoon if even 2 of Wolves' 25 shots had gone in. It was a piss-poor home performance by the Albion whichever way you look at it. Well, apart from the 3 points, obviously. At some point sometime our heroic defenders deserve some kind of respite from being human shields. Our attacks are increasingly few and far between. Those desperate 1-0's playing much the same side as we had in the Championship won't see us comfortably through the season. We're riding the very edge of our luck currently.

nonscence

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
All about the tools at a managers disposal.

Gathering a stack of amazing players on huge wages in the blink of an eye turned an awful Wolves team we ripped apart at Molyneux 18 months ago, into a media loved squad destined for amazing things apparently.

Neves, Cavaleiro, Traore, Moutinho, Boly, Jota, Costa, Bonatini were brought in, as they did a PSG/ManC. Without that $$$$ lot, they’d be languishing in the Championship playing forgettable football.

CH is doing a great job with our resources, and the Albion’s Board are building the club brilliantly for the future.

The Chinese owners of Wolves made £60 Billion profit last year. es, £60 Billion

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Their company is worth 60 Billion which is where the confusion starts I think.

All in all, they are ####### loaded and we are possibly looking at another Man City. I think we can safely tick off Wolves as a club likely to go down and they will cement their position in the league.

Described as a Chinese Business they have assets all round the world and added a football team to their portfolio.

They own a large chunk of Thomas Cook for instance.

Where it gets slightly murky is they also own a slice of super agent Mendes' company. However it's passed all the rules and maybe a model that other "sleeping giants" follow.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Their company is worth 60 Billion which is where the confusion starts I think.

All in all, they are ####### loaded and we are possibly looking at another Man City. I think we can safely tick off Wolves as a club likely to go down and they will cement their position in the league.

Described as a Chinese Business they have assets all round the world and added a football team to their portfolio.

They own a large chunk of Thomas Cook for instance.

Where it gets slightly murky is they also own a slice of super agent Mendes' company. However it's passed all the rules and maybe a model that other "sleeping giants" follow.

There are however financial restrictions in place that apply to all clubs. We of course have no idea how much TB is worth!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here