Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the slowest transfer window yet?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If they (Fulham) have the option to buy, then how can we get him back? It will be their decision on whether they exercise their option; we won't have a say. That's how it works, not the other way around, I believe?

Not wanting to get too far down this rabbit hole, but the option could be contingent on us remaining in the PL, for instance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we don't sign a centre midfielder, a Striker and someone who can play the Gross role, then I do believe we have cocked up on not fixing the problems of last season.

This.

And we had entire close season and another huge slug of PL cash to solve those glaring weaknesses.

It’s been a quiet window for many clubs so far, so I’m praying the whole window kicks off very shortly with the Albion active.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This.

And we had entire close season and another huge slug of PL cash to solve those glaring weaknesses.

It’s been a quiet window for many clubs so far, so I’m praying the whole window kicks off very shortly with the Albion active.

Have you not heard how hard and depressing transfer windows are? We are doing our best, luckily we have managed to offload one of our best players, who is also a bit of a liabilty, as part of the process and will continue to try against a background of hard to comprehend challenges.

Good enough for me :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The ONLY reason for the loan to perm at end of season will be to help Fulham satisfy FFP rules.

£4m loan fee versus £14m transfer. Simple really.

And for a delayed cash sum to help us with Championship FFP next season if need be.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ONLY reason for the loan to perm at end of season will be to help Fulham satisfy FFP rules.

£4m loan fee versus £14m transfer. Simple really.

Probably......or

...there are other issues with him that leave Fulham unconvinced so they’re essentially trialling him

...we want the option of taking him back next season if we go down

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we don't sign a centre midfielder, a Striker and someone who can play the Gross role, then I do believe we have cocked up on not fixing the problems of last season.

Would you be happy if we signed Hayden and moved Pröpper into the Groß role? (Asking for a friend).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would you be happy if we signed Hayden and moved Pröpper into the Groß role? (Asking for a friend).
I wouldn't. In fact I'd be seething.

Groß was our player of the season in an injury free 2017-18. Could be again.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see ! I think Potter rotates players a bit more than we are used to anyway.

Yes - we’ve already seen this a little. The starting line-up against Crawley was a real eye opener!

I’ll be interested to see just how defensive the ‘2’ midfielders are in his initial 4-2-3-1 system. I’ve a feeling that he might like his full backs to bomb on with the ‘2’ midfielders covering the flanks behind them but we’ll see. I think he enjoys playing ‘false’ positions and using players out of their normal positions.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I've got to be honest. This Hayden looks good, but my heart is set on this Berge fella at the moment. So if we do sign him, I'd like see Berge playing in Stephens position, Propper in his standard position and Gross playing the Gross position. Stephens would still be very good back up.

But my concern would still be last seasons big issue. Whenever Gross was out we had no-one who could play that killer pass to unlock a defence. We looked far too one dimensional, but once Gross was back we looked far more dynamic. It was obvious how much we missed Gross for his creativity.

It'll be a repeat of last season if Gross is still the only man in the squad who has that eye for a killer pass. Propper's strengths seem to be receiving the ball with his back turned to goal and turning his man with one touch or a drop of the shoulder giving him that extra second to then pick out a pass. Gross is the assists man. Both I rate highly but they are different. I know Propper can play the attacking midfield role, but for a team who press, something we can't do against such good standard.

So we need a Gross number 2.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I personally don't think Montoya is too bad a player. Back up would help but I don't think it's a position where we're dying for a first teamer to fill in that position.

So I ask you... who is the backup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I personally don't think Montoya is too bad a player. Back up would help but I don't think it's a position where we're dying for a first teamer to fill in that position.

Then I ask who is the backup RB?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not wanting to get too far down this rabbit hole, but the option could be contingent on us remaining in the PL, for instance.

I do hope so...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Matt Clarke maybe or someone we've never heard of maybe?

Square pegs in round holes to be avoided like the plague in the Prem. MC is a CB. As in Balogun. Similarly, Bernardo is a LB, then CB, not really a RB.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is it unreasonable to expect us to go down without signing a proven goalscorer? Given most of the squad have proved they can’t shoot let alone score. Are we even in the market for a £20m+ striker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here