Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Uncle Bulgaria outraged as Katie Hopkins calls council c***wombles

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
People want free speech. Then ban people from speaking. I don’t like her but banning her from speaking is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may or may not be stupid (probably not stupid as she is a pathetic attention-seeking parody of a troll with nothing of any value to say and no coherent agenda beyond causing offence in order to attract clicks) but I yet again feel obliged to point out that not allowing her to spout her poison at a particular event/venue is not a 'suppression of free speech'. Within the limits of the law, Hopkins is able to say whatever she wants, and does so all the time. Unfortunately her views get far more coverage than they deserve, and far more public attention than many people with genuinely interesting and thoughtful contributions to make. It's a sad reflection of society that so many people take her seriously, but nonetheless, THAT is what free speech means.

I wouldn't allow her a platform if it were my decision. If I am organizing an event it is my right to decide who I want to give a platform to and who I don't. Just as I wouldn't expect to be given a platform to speak at a local meeting of the KKK.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It may or may not be stupid (probably not stupid as she is a pathetic attention-seeking parody of a troll with nothing of any value to say and no coherent agenda beyond causing offence in order to attract clicks) but I yet again feel obliged to point out that not allowing her to spout her poison at a particular event/venue is not a 'suppression of free speech'. Within the limits of the law, Hopkins is able to say whatever she wants, and does so all the time. Unfortunately her views get far more coverage than they deserve, and far more public attention than many people with genuinely interesting and thoughtful contributions to make. It's a sad reflection of society that so many people take her seriously, but nonetheless, THAT is what free speech means.

I wouldn't allow her a platform if it were my decision. If I am organizing an event it is my right to decide who I want to give a platform to and who I don't. Just as I wouldn't expect to be given a platform to speak at a local meeting of the KKK.

so you are agreeing that a council banning a speaker from an event is against free speech. unless the organisation/person is on a proscribed list, council shouldn't involve themselves with who is on the guest list.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given she was due to speak at a UKIP meeting, surely it should have gone ahead given that all their supporters have left to follow Nigel at the Brexit Party. Speaking to an empty hall would have shown how irrelevant she is.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom

You wouldn’t allow her. Blocking free speech.

It’s like the trump protests. Where were these people when the Saudis came crawling? She’s a vile. Horrible woman. But when places block her from speaking. Yet we constantly have hate clerics spouting their crap all over the place. The whole thing stinks. .

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
council shouldn't involve themselves with who is on the guest list.

Why not? Up to them, they absolutely have every right to decide who they want to give a platform to at their conference centre.

You can agree/disagree with their decision (I agree, presumably you don't) but it clearly NOT 'against free speech'. She got to do her thing somehwere else, so clearly there is no 'ban' on her speaking freely.

This is a complete misunderstanding of what 'free speech' means.And a misunderstanding deliberately propogated by the likes of Hopkins (and her backers) who makes her money by being a deliberately awful person in public, and uses this false argument to gain yet more attention.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You wouldn’t allow her. Blocking free speech.

It’s like the trump protests. Where were these people when the Saudis came crawling? She’s a vile. Horrible woman. But when places block her from speaking. Yet we constantly have hate clerics spouting their crap all over the place. The whole thing stinks. .

1. Many of those, such as Owen Jones, who have been central to the Trump protests have also been involved for a much longer time in organizing opposition to the UK's relationship with Saudi. Plenty of evidence of that, but here's a start: https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1052264419965702144?lang=en
they have never had the media attention that the Trump stuff gets, but doesn't mean it isn't happening

2. When did Eastbourne Council provide a platform at one of their venues for a hate speaking Islamic cleric?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why not? Up to them, they absolutely have every right to decide who they want to give a platform to at their conference centre.

the council are part of the state and so do not have such a right, they should be impartial to differing political groups and their advocates. this isnt a private organisation chosing who to publish, what groups to use their facilities, where i would agree they may have more discretion. they have accepted the event and the organisers have chosen their guest list. to repeat your own words: Within the limits of the law, Hopkins is able to say whatever she wants. ... If I am organizing an event it is my right to decide who I want to give a platform to and who I don't.

i dont agree with her views, but defend her right to say them if they are legal and at a legal event (and let the police, not the council decide that). we should all be concerned by this, next time it could be a cause or purpose you believe in being banned and interfered with.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant thread.

unimpressed.gif

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
the council are part of the state and so do not have such a right.

They clearly do, because they did.

And if you are right, then I look forward to UKIP and Hopkins challenging the Council under those human rights laws they love so much (they won't)

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
1. Many of those, such as Owen Jones, who have been central to the Trump protests have also been involved for a much longer time in organizing opposition to the UK's relationship with Saudi. Plenty of evidence of that, but here's a start: https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1052264419965702144?lang=en
they have never had the media attention that the Trump stuff gets, but doesn't mean it isn't happening

2. When did Eastbourne Council provide a platform at one of their venues for a hate speaking Islamic cleric?

I never said the opposition against the Saudi lot didn’t happen. But the protests and people against it is far less. Uk is full of hypocrites

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here