Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Slow pitch

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Disappointed that we stooped to not watering the pitch.

Obviously is the right move against them but feels a bit underhand to deliberately produce a substandard surface for such a game.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In what way was it sub standard? If we prefer a slow pitch we should prepare a slow pitch. If we want a fast one we should prepare a fast one. Niether are substandard, they are just different. Sub standard would be full of holes and puddles.
The pitch was deliberately made less good for playing football on by not watering it as usual before kick off.

I wonder what rules there are governing pitch condition. Everyone seems to be doing the dry pitch thing against City and Liverpool. Maybe next we'll see someone try extra long grass and see how they cope with that...?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe it wasn't watered today in order to protect the surface because we knew there would be a lot of people walking on it with heeled shoes after the final whistle

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe it wasn't watered today in order to protect the surface because we knew there would be a lot of people walking on it with heeled shoes after the final whistle
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Yes that must be it...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I noticed all the wives had trainers on.

Do you think cricketers moan about a wicket when groundsmen have prepared it just for the home team?
Our ground, our pitch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The pitch was deliberately made less good for playing football on by not watering it as usual before kick off.

What makes for less good football is the Abu Dhabi ruling family putting £1.3 billion into a club.

**** the pitch.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Made less good for playing football on? Was it? How do you reach that conclusion? It was made slower, yes, but that makes it better for playing the football we wanted not worse.
We would have had 100% more chance playing them at some sort of folk football on a rutted field. Dunk and Duffy would have been well up for that. If we'd ploughed the pitch before kick off would that have made it less good for playing football on, or not?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I noticed all the wives had trainers on.

Do you think cricketers moan about a wicket when groundsmen have prepared it just for the home team?
Our ground, our pitch.
As a cricketer I hate it when anyone does that.

Doesn't happen much and most grounds produce the best surface they can.

Occasionally you get white ball matches played on used pitches to suit a one dimensional home attack. Feels like cheating to me and deprives the crowd of better cricket.

Football is more tribal and just about your team winning, so I do get it - not massively bothered either but on balance don't really like it that much...

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Disappointed that we stooped to not watering the pitch.

Obviously is the right move against them but feels a bit underhand to deliberately produce a substandard surface for such a game.
Kept it down to four, good effort

theboybilly

I don't remember that. That's basically cheating.

It definately happened. I put it down to tactics from Claud Puel at the time. Is it actually against a rule of some kind? I would think not as it seems home clubs can cut the grass ( or even alter the dimensions of the pitch) according to the opposition or somesuch (or have I just imagined that?)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It definately happened. I put it down to tactics from Claud Puel at the time. Is it actually against a rule of some kind? I would think not as it seems home clubs can cut the grass ( or even alter the dimensions of the pitch) according to the opposition or somesuch (or have I just imagined that?)

You can't change the dimensions of the pitch during the season

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here