Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whatever one thinks of Boris Johnson, I really do think this was rather pathetic behaviour by the Luxembourg PM and only goes to reinforce the views of those who voted leave.
I voted remain, by the way.

Boris is a man that’s spent 20 years lying and insulting the EU and when he’s been face to face with its leaders has looked out of place or in this case just run away rather than face another embarrassment.

It’s a terrible imagine for our PM who has told people to just believe a bit more and is seen as a man of the people to run away like he did yesterday.

I have no doubt the Luxembourg PM would have said the same things if Boris was standing there.

He is a coward, bullying and a liar who doesn’t care about Brexit, but has used it to become PM.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Keen starts to give "clear examples" of where the government has prorogued Parliament for political reasons in the past - and sometimes for an extended period of time than usual.

He mentions the prorogation of Parliament in 1914, at the outbreak of the World War One.

"That clearly was not for the purpose of the King's Speech," he says.

He adds: "Parliament was prorogued for 87 days in 1930 during the onset of the Great Depression."

Lord Keen gives another example of 1948, when Parliament was prorogued to force a bill to be passed.

"This last example was clearly for a party political purpose," he says. "It was a naked political reason."

So apparently, following a previously set precedent is the right thing to do regardless ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So apparently, following a previously set precedent is the right thing to do regardless ?

Presumably, if there was a similar court case in 1914/1930/1948 that concluded it was just, then legally it is OK, and whether it is a right thing is a moot point.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Anyone with 3,000 plus posts has two much time on their hands , I mean this is just one thread, one can only imagine what the rest of the count looks like [emoji23]
I think this is a serious point.

If you average each post as taking 4-5 minutes to construct and write, those people who have 3000+ posts have spent over 10 days of their lives arguing with people who aren't for turning. Just think of what you could have done instead, in 250 hours!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Boris is a man that’s spent 20 years lying and insulting the EU and when he’s been face to face with its leaders has looked out of place or in this case just run away rather than face another embarrassment.

It’s a terrible imagine for our PM who has told people to just believe a bit more and is seen as a man of the people to run away like he did yesterday.

I have no doubt the Luxembourg PM would have said the same things if Boris was standing there.

He is a coward, bullying and a liar who doesn’t care about Brexit, but has used it to become PM.

I hold no brief for Mr. Johnson and I think he should have attended.
However, I am not a fan of the grandstanding by Bettel.That was my point and one that I have made in my subsequent posts.
By the way, I don't think he is PM material, but I truly struggle to identify many/any politicians of any political persuasion with the requisite qualities to lead the country.
I am no avid politico, so maybe others have some suggestions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Presumably, if there was a similar court case in 1914/1930/1948 that concluded it was just, then legally it is OK, and whether it is a right thing is a moot point.

I doubt if it was legally challenged / tested back then.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think this is a serious point.

If you average each post as taking 4-5 minutes to construct and write, those people who have 3000+ posts have spent over 10 days of their lives arguing with people who aren't for turning. Just think of what you could have done instead, in 250 hours!

I bet when Thunderbolt was leading up to to retirement she didn’t plan to spend ten WHOLE days of her retirement posting on a football forum site specifically on one subject [emoji23]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they weren't challenged. thats the point of highlighting them, they establish a precedent that can be argued is accepted practice. the court needs to weigh that against the other arguments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hold no brief for Mr. Johnson and I think he should have attended.
However, I am not a fan of the grandstanding by Bettel.That was my point and one that I have made in my subsequent posts.
By the way, I don't think he is PM material, but I truly struggle to identify many/any politicians of any political persuasion with the requisite qualities to lead the country.
I am no avid politico, so maybe others have some suggestions.

We're not exactly blessed with choice in this regard, but I was hoping (beyond hope) that Rory Stewart would win the Tory leadership camnpaign. Not an ideal candidate by any means, but he does at least come across as a serious politician with values and beliefs, rather than the lying, blustering, self-regarding, racist, clueless bluffing blundering buffoon we've ended up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here