Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Food allergy awareness at the Amex

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Profit Paul won’t allow you to bring your own food in will he?
Not sure it has ever been banned other than in 1901.

I have had a bit of a rethink on this one. Basically Sodexo and their suppliers should be able to categorically state what has gone into their products, with whatever qualifications they need on cross contamination. This information should be freely available online for people to check or on a poster away from the point of sale.

Can we avoid 20 questions at the point of sale please?

A while back I was in that little Lebanese place under Brighton station, when a young girl walks in and asked for the menu. Fine except she was vegan, which wasn't a problem but she also had the longest list of fads likes and dislikes. The wide choice narrowed down to bread, lettuce and not too much tomato. Why bother? And why more importantly has everyone else got to listen to a long list of ailments, likes and dislikes bore off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I asked a server yeterday if there was anything among the comestibles that was dairy free. Five minutes later, after consulting with a manager, 'no idea'.

I am lactose intolerant, not allergic to milk products (if a puff of lactose passes the hole in my phizzog I will shit uncomfortably for a few days but I won't die). But imagine I were? The lad who died recenly after being given a bum steer over a coating on some food (all over the media)....could happen at our stadium.

Can a someone give me a pertinent phone number (PM) and I will give the club a tinkle tomorrow. Thanks.

Get anywhere?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A while back I was in that little Lebanese place under Brighton station, when a young girl walks in and asked for the menu. Fine except she was vegan, which wasn't a problem but she also had the longest list of fads likes and dislikes. The wide choice narrowed down to bread, lettuce and not too much tomato. Why bother? And why more importantly has everyone else got to listen to a long list of ailments, likes and dislikes bore off.

I do see your point of view :thumbsup:
But sometimes when we go out last minute, say on the way back from a match, to get some food, questions on ingredients are a necessity.
With Mrs AR, she normally checks on line beforehand, for the generic eateries menu choices and what she can eat.
It's a pain for her doing this prior to going out, but most eateries do now cater for the gluten free option.
When we've eaten in a decent restaurant, like Wesley House in Winchcombe, you know that the food is cooked from proper ingredients.
The gravy is from stock, not granules.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Good for you. I find it astounding a catering outfit can’t answer a simple question relating to possible allergens or know ingredients in its food. They must have lists somewhere. I would have thought given the negative publicity recently around this issue it would have been a priority with managers.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
When we've eaten in a decent restaurant, like Wesley House in Winchcombe, you know that the food is cooked from proper ingredients.
The gravy is from stock, not granules.

You can make perfectly decent gravy with wheat flour. Corn flour as well as being gluten free is also finer, so less chance of lumps.Don't get caught out on that one.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You can make perfectly decent gravy with wheat flour. Corn flour as well as being gluten free is also finer, so less chance of lumps.Don't get caught out on that one.

Already know 'that one', Mrs AR is a chef :lolol:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm allergic to meat so I played it 'safe' last night with a vegan product - almost like a naan bread with dried vegetables inside.

I was fine until 5am this morning when I threw up constantly, losing a day of work. I honestly dread how long they had that vegan product on sale. It tasted disgusting at the time. At least I got home before I started vomiting and shitting in the toilet.

Never again will I buy food in the ground. If the stewards have a problem with me taking in cheese and pickle sandwiches then I will show them a card/letter from my doctor or hospital. If they still can't accept that then things will get into a very heated argument.

Sorry about the rant but weekends I can go without touching the shite on sale. :down:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm allergic to meat so I played it 'safe' last night with a vegan product - almost like a naan bread with dried vegetables inside.

I was fine until 5am this morning when I threw up constantly, losing a day of work. I honestly dread how long they had that vegan product on sale. It tasted disgusting at the time. At least I got home before I started vomiting and shitting in the toilet.

Never again will I buy food in the ground. If the stewards have a problem with me taking in cheese and pickle sandwiches then I will show them a card/letter from my doctor or hospital. If they still can't accept that then things will get into a very heated argument.

Sorry about the rant but weekends I can go without touching the shite on sale. :down:

If it tasted disgusting why did you eat it ?
How can you be 100% sure it was the ‘thing’ you ate there ?

I ordered the guest pie....sounded ok, being minced beef and bacon. Took it to my seat, removed the filled pastry delight from it’s bag and took my first bite of.......some gloopy chicken and leek (I think) abomination of a lukewarm, undercooked pile of shite. It’s probably still under seat Q623 in the East Lower where I left it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If it tasted disgusting why did you eat it ?
How can you be 100% sure it was the ‘thing’ you ate there ?

I ordered the guest pie....sounded ok, being minced beef and bacon. Took it to my seat, removed the filled pastry delight from it’s bag and took my first bite of.......some gloopy chicken and leek (I think) abomination of a lukewarm, undercooked pile of shite. It’s probably still under seat Q623 in the East Lower where I left it.

So there you have it mate. The food is dreadful at the Amex. The Goldstone was even worse from what I remember but the Withdean food was cooked to order and they had some great hot dogs with onions.

Last night was a mad rush so I didn't have time to buy any decent sandwiches from Tescos. I gave the vegan roll the benefit of the doubt but I started feeling a bit dicky when I got home. It could well have been something else but I very much doubt it - normal food was consumed throughout the day. As for it being disgusting - you get used to vegetarian or vegan food tasting shite. Anyway, I'm feeling better now mate and lesson learnt so it's down to just a horrible experience. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So there you have it mate. The food is dreadful at the Amex. The Goldstone was even worse from what I remember but the Withdean food was cooked to order and they had some great hot dogs with onions.

Last night was a mad rush so I didn't have time to buy any decent sandwiches from Tescos. I gave the vegan roll the benefit of the doubt but I started feeling a bit dicky when I got home. It could well have been something else but I very much doubt it - normal food was consumed throughout the day. As for it being disgusting - you get used to vegetarian or vegan food tasting shite. Anyway, I'm feeling better now mate and lesson learnt so it's down to just a horrible experience. :thumbsup:

I don’t usually eat at the ground (although the fish and chips outside is pretty good) and just have a coffee but I didn’t have time after work yesterday to grab anything beforehand............after ditching most of the pie I had to get an emergency bag of choccy raisins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here