Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Ashes Test- The Oval- Thursday 12th September 2019

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
A later appeal against Labuschagne showed the noise came from the bat hitting the ground. Fine. But it also showed a thick spike just previous with the bat raised, not near pad, and the ball just pitching. No-one could work out why it was there.

Warner has kept his cheeky chappy look on throughout the series regardless.

I don't think that was out. The spike came after the bat. There was a clear gap.

It was the noise of the ball pitching (as it was so full). It really wasn’t hard to work out, trouble is you had Warne and Ponting commentating and they’re not the sharpest tools in the box.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was it Kolhi who changed his bat in the Indian series when he swished at the ball, there was loud click and it turned out it was the splice of the bat creaking!

As much as I do not like Warner, I would have been bloody livid if I had been given out caught behind to that!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Was it Kolhi who changed his bat in the Indian series when he swished at the ball, there was loud click and it turned out it was the splice of the bat creaking!

As much as I do not like Warner, I would have been bloody livid if I had been given out caught behind to that!

Did you see Warner’s face? He knew he’d hit it.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It was the noise of the ball pitching (as it was so full). It really wasn’t hard to work out, trouble is you had Warne and Ponting commentating and they’re not the sharpest tools in the box.

The bat strikes the ground just after the point of pitch. The spike came well before from what I saw.

Warne and especially Ponting are very able commentators.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These two will make the England score themselves.
Quite probably, and I don't think the England team have any way of stopping them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not sure he did. I think it was more of “ oh **** here we go again”

I suppose this is the result when you take away the doubt from umpires and rely of technology, that when you actually look at the coverage looked dodgy to say the least....

I am old school and would do away with all technology and rely on the umpires decisions, good or bad.

A bit like the VAR shitstorm.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I think it was more resignation. I've been out before without thinking I'd touched it. I'm adamant that wasn't out. The replay seems to back that up.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I am not sure he did. I think it was more of “ oh **** here we go again”

I suppose this is the result when you take away the doubt from umpires and rely of technology, that when you actually look at the coverage looked dodgy to say the least....

I am old school and would do away with all technology and rely on the umpires decisions, good or bad.

A bit like the VAR shitstorm.

I think the technology is good. Watching some highlights from recent series where it was absent it is clear that a lot of matches have turned on rotten decisions.

That said, there are more flaws than I originally thought.

VAR is a different animal at present !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's a bit bizarre for anyone to say Warner definitely wasn't out based on the replays. They're inconclusive. There isn't a clear gap between bat and ball all the way through.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes but for those of us brought up on “ the benefit of the doubt is always to the batsman” if it is inconclusive then he is not out!
I think it's a bit bizarre for anyone to say Warner definitely wasn't out based on the replays. They're inconclusive. There isn't a clear gap between bat and ball all the way through.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

At first glance I thought I heard a noise and the slip fielders were very sure, watching the replays you couldn’t tell but when you see ultra edge show a small spike at the exact moment the ball and bat were closest, it’s definitely out in my opinion. Added to that, Warner looked guilty as sin and walked off with no qualms.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The bat strikes the ground just after the point of pitch. The spike came well before from what I saw.

Warne and especially Ponting are very able commentators.

I've no way of finding the reply again but watching live I'm pretty confident that the ball pitching caused the initial spike and then that was followed fairly quickly (accounting for slow motion) of the bat hitting ground.

Regarding the Warner dismissal I think he knew he hit it.

I take my comment back about Ponting. Warne, on the other had, is one of the worst commentators going.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes but for those of us brought up on “ the benefit of the doubt is always to the batsman” if it is inconclusive then he is not out!

I agree with that - I'm more responding to those who seemed pretty sure he didn't hit it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
At first glance I thought I heard a noise and the slip fielders were very sure, watching the replays you couldn’t tell but when you see ultra edge show a small spike at the exact moment the ball and bat were closest, it’s definitely out in my opinion. Added to that, Warner looked guilty as sin and walked off with no qualms.

I think Warner was just happy that he'd found a way to avoid being out to Broad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here