Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia, Ashes 4th test - Old Trafford

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How is Roy getting another chance? His technique is awful and most club players can spot the obvious flaws. Thrusts out his front pad with hard hands leaving a huge gap between bat and pad. Play it later with your eyes above the ball and keep it leave no gap that will be exploited if the ball moves. Basic stuff!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We picked the same squad. Shockingly complacent

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The only thing I can think is that with Bayliss out of the job on Sunday, that any transformations / revolutions can wait until the winter. Maybe it's a case of a few players having a final chance to do something, not lose the series, get some scores on the board.

Would I prefer to have a look at Sibley, Pope and others prior to the winter tour, yes I probably would, but perhaps the logic is a last chance saloon and digging themselves out of a hole they've created. :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Two ways to look at this. a, You blokes have a last chance to redeem yourselves by winning at the Oval or b, there's been so little red ball cricket played in the last month that we can't think of anyone else !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How is Roy getting another chance? His technique is awful and most club players can spot the obvious flaws. Thrusts out his front pad with hard hands leaving a huge gap between bat and pad. Play it later with your eyes above the ball and keep it leave no gap that will be exploited if the ball moves. Basic stuff!

Bairstow starting to look like a walking wicket too.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Bairstow starting to look like a walking wicket too.

And he's a blatant ginge whilst I'm giving Stokes a ' strawberry blonde' pass :).

Jokes aside and I only recent found this out that Bairstow's dad committed suicide. Would love him to come good.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And he's a blatant ginge whilst I'm giving Stokes a ' strawberry blonde' pass :).

Jokes aside and I only recent found this out that Bairstow's dad committed suicide. Would love him to come good.

Yes, I knew about Bairstow's dad, David Bairstow, Yorkshire and a few Tests for England, tragic story. I think Johnny has come good, was playing very well up til recently, He has scored some vital centuries at times, but, he's not looking so good these days. I think he just needs to work on his game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They say we are crap and have not even won a session in any match, apart from the lucky win.
Copping it from all sides here.

What about the drawn second test that we’d have most likely won if it hadn’t been reduced to 3 days and we were ultimately restricted to bowling slow bowlers coz of the light during the last few overs of day 5?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
They say we are crap and have not even won a session in any match, apart from the lucky win.
Copping it from all sides here.

Unfortunately, they’re right! Today was a good example. Simply not good enough. Time to give some new batsmen a go. I would make Buttler keeper and bat him at 7 (since he returned last year he has the highest test batting average in the England side, and I think just had a bad few games post WC - he has the technique to be a Gilchrist), move root back to 4 and try the best red ball players in county cricket (instead of picking white ball players):

1. Burns
2. Sibley
3. Azad or Northeast
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Pope
7. Buttler

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills