Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion games that you were at and recall an event that overshadowed the football

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Shoreham has been covered, so a personal event

Play Off Final v Notts County, some idiot (bhafc fan) smashed into the back of my car on the road out of brighton which pushed me into the van in front, writing my Fiesta off. Pushed it to a safe place and got a taxi back into town so one of my passengers could pick up their car to drive to Wembley. Crap day, crap result and all the while I was thinking about how to sort my car out and get home again to Bexhill. Luckily I was a member of the AA who got me and the car home once we got back from the game.

On the bright side the idiot driver drove off heading to Wembley (after we had all exchanged details) with water pouring out of this radiator. I was hoping to see his car stopped on the A23/M23 but didn't.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
On top of the 9/11 and Shoreham games, I also recall a game back in 1982.

We were at home to Southampton ( I think) in a Div 1 league match. Galtieri had just invaded the Falklands. I remember the Southampton fans proudly singing "We are at war" in the East Terrace corner.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'm going to be a bit more positive and very different on this thread.

September 2006, Crewe at home. The game had been moved to the Sunday at late notice as what felt like they entire crowd had packed off to Lords for the C&G final that Sussex dramatically won. A jubilant and hungover Albion crowd then seemed to have very little interest in the 4-0 drubbing that followed.

The following season we had a home game the same day Sussex clinched the title, more people were worried about that than the football itself. Numerous supporters scurried off to Hove at the final whistle for the scenes that followed.

Happier times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm going to be a bit more positive and very different on this thread.

September 2006, Crewe at home. The game had been moved to the Sunday at late notice as what felt like they entire crowd had packed off to Lords for the C&G final that Sussex dramatically won. A jubilant and hungover Albion crowd then seemed to have very little interest in the 4-0 drubbing that followed.

The following season we had a home game the same day Sussex clinched the title, more people were worried about that than the football itself. Numerous supporters scurried off to Hove at the final whistle for the scenes that followed.

Happier times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was hoping for a few positives!

Wasn’t there a guy who proposed on the pitch at Withdean to have the inevitable “you don’t know what you’re doing chanted at him” I think she did say YES though, that could have been a major fail if she hadn’t!

No other positive experiences that overshadowed the match?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
30th August 2014.
Albion v Charlton and my elder brother, Tony Langridge (67) who was chairman of REMF, and had passed away in August, was pictured on the scoreboards in the 67th minute.
The whole ground stood and applauded, I had tears of love and pride streaming from my eyes, so very emotional, and as if in a salute from the club, Dunky scored the 1st goal
in that 67th minute.
Never forget that day, never forget my brother. RIP Tony.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1-0 defeat to Grimsby Town in 1986. Sussex won at Lords.

There was a match in 1991, during the Gulf conflict, when I was told that the government were considering a conscript of 21 year olds.

I was 21 at the time. Turned out to be rubbish.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
30 years ago today according to facebook.
Apparently we beat Wolves 4-2 away from home.
I thought the sheff utd game was a Saturday because I watched the rollercoaster unravel on Grandstand's Vidiprinter.

Omg your right! I knew we played that night,i have no idea why the Sheffield United game is fixated in my mind.

The Saterday after,we played West Ham at home and were 3-0 up after 20 or so minutes.The North Stand started chanting we want ten!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
29/02/91, we beat Southend 3-2 at home, the game was a bit of a blur, me and her had got engaged that morning.

(check the date)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
1-0 defeat to Grimsby Town in 1986. Sussex won at Lords.

There was a match in 1991, during the Gulf conflict, when I was told that the government were considering a conscript of 21 year olds.

I was 21 at the time. Turned out to be rubbish.

Would have done wonders for you . I can just see you with a BAYONET standing to ATTENTION. They don’t like it UP them

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Bit more of a positive one.

On my way to Notts County away the morning England won the Rugby world cup.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Sheffield United away.Lost 5-4

Same night as Palace lost 9-0 to Liverpool!!

incorrect (if my memory serves)

we were scoring 4 at Wolves that night. We were 2 up before I even got into the ground. The 5-4 at Bramball lane was the weekend before (or after) - Anyways it was 2 away games in a few days and eight goals scored

edit...oh just seen the post below

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Grimsby home game late 80s. It was a 0-0 but my first time with contact lenses. Used to squint half blind from the North Stand as the specs I had back then weren't cool. It was all so clear - shame it was such a poor game

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would have done wonders for you . I can just see you with a BAYONET standing to ATTENTION. They don’t like it UP them

I'd much PREFER it up THEM than ME.

Always a GIVER and not a TAKER.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was at both the Southampton game on 11th September and remember the atmosphere being sedate. I was at the amex for the game the day of the shoreham disaster, but I don't remember really being aware of the severity until after I got home. I certainly don't remember any change in atmosphere.

I have had a memory of the announcers at our away game v Plymouth in the Zenith cup in 1990 announcing John Major as winning the leadership contest to take over from Margaret Thatcher, but I've just looked it up and apparently it didn't happen. The night we beat them 3-1 on penalties was the night of the first ballot, of which John Major wasn't a part (according to this wiki page).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was away for the Shoreham disaster but if I had been going I would likely have been on that stretch of the A27 around the time of the crash. Chilling

Literally missed it by 25 mins.
Grace of God stuff - just awful.... very sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wasn’t at a game, but watching hillsborough on the telly was a horrible experience

I was driving up Wilson Avenue, Brighton, listening to Radio 2 with their array of brilliant commentators, when at just past 3 the commentator started describing the fatal events in front of them. Similarly, 4 years before with the Bradford fire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here