Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Each treaty was voted on in turn as it came along by the government of the day.
The aim, even in the 70s was closer union. I understood that at the time, from what Winston Churchill had said, and from Edward Heath.

As I pointed out earlier, if it is the political union that leavers are so opposed to, then why didn't the government just say, we are leaving the EU, but staying in EFTA, which I suspect would have been voted on, done and dusted now. We were in EFTA before we even joined the EEC.

I appreciate the detail that you have gone into but you haven’t answered my question so I’ll ask again, was the then EEC the same as the now EU, Y/N ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Emotional is the main one from what I can gather.
The main emotional reason was 'foreigners'.
Of course, it is now different, and EVERY leaver talks of the EU, and not immigration. Its been enlightening to watch.
Probably in a similar vein, I expect to see more appointments like this from EU now that there is a strong far right element in it.

BBC News - EU chief under fire over 'protecting way of life' portfolio
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49661650

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never been a more glaring example of someone promoted to the level of their incompetence. BoJo's do-or-die, thud and blunder fall from grace is as beautiful as it was predictable :bigwave:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Enemies of the people' again, names, photos and sexual orientation on the front page of The Daily Mail for the Scottish judges tomorrow morning.

Yes. I did rather feel sorry for the person who announced the judgement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd suggest you take in to account the direction of travel since 1975. It hardly suggests the aim isn't an EU super state. Throw in the recent murmurings from Macron and Merkal about the need for an EU army and you get even closer to the EU being a state rather than the trading union that we joined. Equally, yes, members have vetos but only in SOME areas. Some members will move towards that ever greater union - France and Germany for example. Others won't - meaning there will be different levels of membership. Something pointed out by Paddy Ashdown many years ago. What is the point of the UK being a 'second class' member ? We might as well leave and let them get on with their union.

We've never been a second class member. No other member has as many benefits or vetoes as us. France envies us our benefits.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I appreciate the detail that you have gone into but you haven’t answered my question so I’ll ask again, was the then EEC the same as the now EU, Y/N ?

No, as I said each treaty has been introduced, voted on and accepted or vetoed as the case may be. Nothin in politics ever stays the same.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m assuming if you’re suggesting the 1975 referendum counts as number 1, that the then EEC is very much the same as the EU now?

It’s as comparable to no deal is to what Johnson, Farage etc told you would be our exit strategy.

Things change,politics is flexible.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What is this "European way of life" of which she speaks? Does that mean that we no longer have a British / English "way of life"?

I'm serious. I have absolutely no bloody idea what constitutes a "European way of life".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Before anyone gets too excited (about the 'unlawful' closure of parliament ruling), the government will appeal to the supreme court and will (in my view) win.

Meanwhile time ticks, and we will almost certainly now tumble out of the EU with no deal. The EU will not give us an extension in order to have another referendum, so if Boris asks for that (he won't) he'll be told to eff off. The only basis for an extension is to fine tune the details of the deal that the majority of parliament favours. But parliament has signaled it does not favour any of the deals discussed. Moreover Boris has already moved the goalposts by disavowing the backstop, and the EU won't give an extension in that context.

So Boris has won, surely? :shrug:

Unless the supreme court upholds the jock judgment. And even then, so what? If Boris says 'OK then, we can recall parliament' there is still nothing to discuss......even a general election won't solve anything since even if labour win they have no plan for dealing with the OCT 31 deadline (the only plan would be to announce we are going to simply not leave). The point being that labour have aready promised they will offer another referendum and to do that they would need to halt Brexit (they won't be able to delay it with an extension - see above for reasons).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Each treaty was voted on in turn as it came along by the government of the day.
The aim, even in the 70s was closer union. I understood that at the time, from what Winston Churchill had said, and from Edward Heath.

As I pointed out earlier, if it is the political union that leavers are so opposed to, then why didn't the government just say, we are leaving the EU, but staying in EFTA, which I suspect would have been voted on, done and dusted now. We were in EFTA before we even joined the EEC.

But that wasn’t the question was it? It was aimed at membership of the EU. Leave means leave, from a firm remainer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What is this "European way of life" of which she speaks? Does that mean that we no longer have a British / English "way of life"?

I'm serious. I have absolutely no bloody idea what constitutes a "European way of life".

It's football isn't it? I can't think of anything else that is so endemic to the continent. The countries on the mainland also seem to be united by a love for terrible dance pop music. We're the exception to this and I had presumed that's why we were leaving. We're negotiating to come out on HWT terms that mean we don't have to take their chart stuff, but do have to listen to obscure Eastern European Techno and Goth Bands from Belgium.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thank you. I'd also point out how much you criticised the issues with ex-pats not getting their voting papers …. and correctly so.

I’m not having a pop, but, I do remember one of Thatchers elections, the BBC did a big news item on ex-pats, and whether they should have a vote.
They vox popped a. Brit couple living South Africa, the husband was very vociferous in his support for the Tories, and his absolute right to have a say in the Government of the old country.

His wife was just as certain that she could never vote for ‘that awful Thatcher woman’ until her old man explained she was the Tory Party leader, and serving Prime Minister.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
We've never been a second class member. No other member has as many benefits or vetoes as us. France envies us our benefits.

And we would have had an even-more UK-friendly union had the UK government actively engaged and debated rather than folding its arms and holding its breath in disgust every time it heard a suggestion it didn't like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here