Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly's goal-scoring record

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Any of Duffy's knock downs from corners will be snaffled up by Connolly and smashed in the net , give the lad a chance .

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Locadia goals cost the club 780k now that is well and truly being mugged off. Connolly was exceptional on Tuesday night in Bristol, I also reckon he could do it on rainy night in Burnley too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Winning goal vs Everton
Goal v Arsenal to get a point
Goal v Millwall when losing in the FA Cup.

Let's not re-write history.... he was responsible for 4 points last season...

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Connolly has a lot of potential - but to be clear about where he is at - he is currently number 5 in terms of strikers with the Irish U-21s behind Troy Parrott, Michael Obafemi, Adam Idah and Jonathan Afolabi.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Winning goal vs Everton
Goal v Arsenal to get a point
Goal v Millwall when losing in the FA Cup.

Let's not re-write history.... he was responsible for 4 points last season...

Effectively a part of why we stayed up in fact

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Connolly has a lot of potential - but to be clear about where he is at - he is currently number 5 in terms of strikers with the Irish U-21s behind Troy Parrott, Michael Obafemi, Adam Idah and Jonathan Afolabi.

Well he outscored all of them last season, having only played half a season of PL2 football. Perhaps the above is a load of b*llocks, or perhaps the Ireland U21 manager is a cretin.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Well he outscored all of them last season, having only played half a season of PL2 football. Perhaps the above is a load of b*llocks, or perhaps the Ireland U21 manager is a cretin.

You need to go back and look at the stats - because you are wrong. Idah, Olafembi and Atolabi were all in their senior squads last year. Parrot is by far and away the most exciting prospect of the five.

I am not for one moment saying that Connolly isn't a very promising player - I am making the point that there are other Irish players ahead of him in the pecking order. Part of the explanation for this is that the Irish U-19 / U-21 squads are full of talent - by far and away the best since the time of Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne, Stephen McPhail and Ritchie Partridge etc winning the U-18 Euro championship.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

By this logic we shouldn’t have Dunk in our starting line up as he is only about number 8 in line for an England call up.

Give the lad a chance, if he’s good enough, he’s old enough!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You need to go back and look at the stats - because you are wrong. Idah, Olafembi and Atolabi were all in their senior squads last year. Parrot is by far and away the most exciting prospect of the five.

I am not for one moment saying that Connolly isn't a very promising player - I am making the point that there are other Irish players ahead of him in the pecking order. Part of the explanation for this is that the Irish U-19 / U-21 squads are full of talent - by far and away the best since the time of Damien Duff, Robbie Keane, Richard Dunne, Stephen McPhail and Ritchie Partridge etc winning the U-18 Euro championship.

For anyone wondering about the validity of this list; Jonathan Afolabi has not played a single minute of first team football & has no caps for Ireland at U-21 level. Adam Idah has actually only played 1 game for Norwich first team; their League Cup game against Crawley a few days ago & didn’t even make the bench last season AFAIK, he has however been first choice for the U-21’s over the last year. Obafemi made the jump straight from U-18 to the first team for Ireland. Troy Parrot however does look a f*cking excellent little player and could very well leapfrog all of them.

Realistically Connolly is probably third choice behind Idah & Parrot. However with Locadia going & Andone a walking red card he is much closer to the clubs first team than the other two. It would take a massive injury crisis for either of the other two to get in the match day squad. Make no mistake, if Connolly can become involved regularly for us then starting for the U-21’s would be a minimum. With Ireland’s current striking options he could very quickly end up in the full squad.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Has Ireland been scouting in Africa for anyone with remote Irish ancestry?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Make no mistake, if Connolly can become involved regularly for us then starting for the U-21’s would be a minimum. With Ireland’s current striking options he could very quickly end up in the full squad.
Worth noting Ireland u21s coach Stephen Kenny will be replacing Mick McCarthy next year so could help Connolly's chances of a senior call up at some stage if he has a decent campaign for their u21s. They've got a great raft of strikers coming through the age groups but still the likes of Long & McGoldrick clogging up the senior squad.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Worth noting Ireland u21s coach Stephen Kenny will be replacing Mick McCarthy next year so could help Connolly's chances of a senior call up at some stage if he has a decent campaign for their u21s. They've got a great raft of strikers coming through the age groups but still the likes of Long & McGoldrick clogging up the senior squad.

Yep. It’s all falling nicely in to place for Connolly actually.

A club manager with a reputation for really boosting young players, an international manager who will look to use young players, and a route to both first teams opening up quite nicely. I think every young player who bursts on the scene in the Prem needs a bit of luck, and things certainly seem to be working out for Connolly at the moment. Let’s hope he grabs his chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest why are folk discussing Connelly's full international call up?

It's almost as if 'we' flatly refuse to learn any lessons from past 'next big things'.

(I've nowhere else to put this)
As an aside, this morning I listened to an interview with Michael Calvin, he spoke of Sheffield Utd's development squad midfielder Zak Brunt, aged 17.

It's a rather harrowing (in football terms) story of:-

Golden child.
5 year old protégé.
Whored around clubs, and countries, since he was 6 years old.
'Dropped out' of league football.
Now back at Sheffield Utd, where he was spotted 11 years earlier.

Calvin said it's the only time he's ever been unprofessional, as he completely lost his shite at Zak's father who was crying as he retold the saga.

Calvin also went on the mention "City have knocked on the door of a 3 year olds house".

https://player.fm/series/the-football-ramble-53763/ramble-meets-michael-calvin

From 00:42:40

Nialler

Aug 30, 2019
This list of Irish strikers is valid and I will add one more in Ryan Cassidy at Watford coming through. What people are kind of missing here is that Stephen Kenny will play a 4-3-3 and we are so short on attacking options Connolly and Parrott wil def be full internationals soon..Parrott is the hottest prospect but Connolly is a close number two among people in the know in Ireland and is further along in development so if you had to throw in one of the lads tomorrow it is for sure Connolly. Obafemi can't keep himself fit and is mainly known for just blistering pace here and Afolobi is a couple of years away yet and took a questionable move north to Glasgow. He played very well in the recent Euros but only played because we were missing 12 players.. Idah is from my own schoolboy club and he is very very good, I expect him to play on the right for the 21's but he has Callum Robinson in front of him in the seniors and maybe parrott will play through the middle. When Stephen Kenny takes over and the rebuild happens post Euros Connolly is 1/50 to be in the first squad barring injury.. There is huge buzz about these attacking options coming through and he is at the forefront not trailing behind.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
For anyone wondering about the validity of this list; Jonathan Afolabi has not played a single minute of first team football & has no caps for Ireland at U-21 level.
Afolabi turned down contract offers from 3 PL clubs to sign a 3 year deal at Celtic.

Adam Idah has actually only played 1 game for Norwich first team; their League Cup game against Crawley a few days ago & didn’t even make the bench last season AFAIK, he has however been first choice for the U-21’s over the last year.
Idah signed a 4 year contract with Norwich this summer and is part of their first team squad. He is also a year younger than Connolly.

Obafemi made the jump straight from U-18 to the first team for Ireland. Troy Parrot however does look a f*cking excellent little player and could very well leapfrog all of them.

Realistically Connolly is probably third choice behind Idah & Parrot. However with Locadia going & Andone a walking red card he is much closer to the clubs first team than the other two. It would take a massive injury crisis for either of the other two to get in the match day squad. Make no mistake, if Connolly can become involved regularly for us then starting for the U-21’s would be a minimum. With Ireland’s current striking options he could very quickly end up in the full squad.
Obafemi is clearly ahead of Connolly in the pecking order with Ireland - I really like Connolly, I think that he has lots going for him and if he can produce anything in the PL he will be in the Irish senior squad. Long is still the best striker Ireland have - McCarthy didn't pick him for the current squad because he hasn't played this season. Looking at what is in the current squad - McGoldrick, Robinson, Maguire and Hogan - there is not a lot of competition for places. However, Parrot has the potential to be Ireland's best ever striker (which would be great because I can't stand Robbie Keane). Within two years half the Irish senior squad could be replaced by the kids.

Nialler

Aug 30, 2019
Obafemi will play on the right or through the middle as the main striker so his competition is Idah. Parrott will likely get a role through the centre in behind or up top. Connolly is the def left option. There is the lad Power from Norwichbut i think he has fallen a bit behind these lads recently and gone on Loan to Holland.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think it's important that we are seen to give young players a chance in the Premier League, as long as they are capable. This will enable us to go after the very best young talent, who currently are pushing for moves abroad to get first team football.

We dont have mega money, so we need to be attracting the superstars of the future when they are still young and in our price range. Another reason we went for Graham Potter.

Bobby Duncan has just left Liverpool for a couple of million, he only joined last season for £200k from Man City. He left both because he couldn't see a route into their first teams. He may have a shit agent, but this kid will be worth £20m+ very soon. This is the type of player we could go after if we could demonstrate that we are open to young first teamers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here