Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Chernobyl - TV series

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is one of the most powerful series I've ever seen.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Agree with all the previous comments - a stunning and chilling series, HBO and Sky really delivered on this one. One piece of good news at the end amongst all the gloom was that the firefighter's wife went on to have a son having been told she could no longer have children.

I didn't realise that the nuclear physicist Ulana was a fictional character until I saw the notes at the end - there was an interesting article in the New York Times by a writer who visited Chernobyl in 2014 about this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/arts/television/chernobyl-hbo.html

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with all the previous comments - a stunning and chilling series, HBO and Sky really delivered on this one. One piece of good news at the end amongst all the gloom was that the firefighter's wife went on to have a son having been told she could no longer have children.

I didn't realise that the nuclear physicist Ulana was a fictional character until I saw the notes at the end - there was an interesting article in the New York Times by a writer who visited Chernobyl in 2014 about this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/arts/television/chernobyl-hbo.html

***cough*** THE PODCAST ***cough***

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A brilliant, brilliant series.

In case you didn't see it on Sky News yesterday, there was also a brilliant report piece broadcast yesterday visiting the surviving hero miners who worked at Chernobyl back in 1986 and their reaction to the TV series - it's on Youtube below.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I am hoping following the huge critical acclaim that this will be the first of many real life mini-series. While there are a lot of brilliant fictional series they always seem to end poorly or run out of ideas meaning they get cancelled without much warning. You can't get better than real life - truth is always better (and stranger) than fiction.

On that note I have just watched the first episode of Netlfix new drama When They See Us, which is based on the Central Park jogger case in 1989. Again a lot of effort has gone into recreating what happened as true to the actual events as possible. One episode in and it is very very good - on a par with Chernobyl easily.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The director of Chernobyl is Johan Renck - AKA Stakka Bo

My mind is officially blown.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
An outstanding series. Not just a telling of the events but an insight into the communist mindset.
I’d only repeat what’s already been said on this thread but agree with the praise.
Jared Harris is such a good actor. That face, the conflict and resulting pain just etched into his features. And I admire him for the fact that he has never played up to who his Father was. He has just slowly and steadily built his own career.
Landmark television. Very, very good indeed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am hoping following the huge critical acclaim that this will be the first of many real life mini-series. While there are a lot of brilliant fictional series they always seem to end poorly or run out of ideas meaning they get cancelled without much warning. You can't get better than real life - truth is always better (and stranger) than fiction.

On that note I have just watched the first episode of Netlfix new drama When They See Us, which is based on the Central Park jogger case in 1989. Again a lot of effort has gone into recreating what happened as true to the actual events as possible. One episode in and it is very very good - on a par with Chernobyl easily.

I binged When They See Us. It’s very good. It gets a bit “baggy” and repetitive in the middle but it’s very good indeed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The director of Chernobyl is Johan Renck - AKA Stakka Bo

My mind is officially blown.

How interesting. A very creative mind obviously. Fantastic. He’s got very good skin.

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
An outstanding series. Not just a telling of the events but an insight into the communist mindset.
I’d only repeat what’s already been said on this thread but agree with the praise.
Jared Harris is such a good actor. That face, the conflict and resulting pain just etched into his features. And I admire him for the fact that he has never played up to who his Father was. He has just slowly and steadily built his own career.
Landmark television. Very, very good indeed.
Have to agree about the insight into communist mindset, people go on about a cover up but it was not really a cover up more a blind belief this could never happen in Soviet Russia and pure incompetence.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Haven't see any of this yet (just read this thread only) but how much is fiction, and how much is fact.. ?

I'm intrigued to compare it's 'facts' to the film Pandora's Promise (which I know was funded by the pro-nuclear lobby) but raised some interesting points like the Chernobyl reactor was pretty much housed in B+Q warehouse building, and like [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] quoted a 31 deaths figure (which PP also says is the EU/WHO official figure)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haven't see any of this yet (just read this thread only) but how much is fiction, and how much is fact.. ?
Argh - Why you no listen?

The Podcast in conjunction with the programme, is a must.

I'll give you a clue as to your specific request.

The writer tells us much of Finchies dialogue isn't scripted, it's the words his character actually used that were recorded at the time.
That's just one snippet.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Argh - Why you no listen?

The Podcast in conjunction with the programme, is a must.

I'll give you a clue as to your specific request.

The writer tells us much of Finchies dialogue isn't scripted, it's the words his character actually used that were recorded at the time.
That's just one snippet.

Normally cos it's you.. and nobody listens to you.. :)

BUT actually, as you said here 'should listen to podcast in conjunction with' and that''s not imminent, but my query is/was.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Superb television. Best series I have seen for a while. I never realised how much sacrifice was made by the ordinary Russian people. It also goes to show the lengths a Gov't would go to in order to hide, play stuff down and ignore the experts. To some extent, you can see similarities to what is happening today with regards to climate change.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It is one of the best series I have ever seen. Spent weekend at Pripyat a year ago, sobering experience. This backed up a lot of the story we were told, and in a very forthright way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here