Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I don’t know a lot about Matt Clarke other than he was Pompey’s PPOTS for 18/19. To be a Potter target last season and this, he must be good on the floor, so I’m very hopeful about this. Not really seen enough of Balogun either TBH, but I assume someone has cast a slide rule over him and decided he is not good enough as back up because he might not have the ground ball skills to play out from the back as GP would like. Mind you, neither does Duffy. The biggest transformation I think I ever witnessed was AEA under Poyet, from a thug to a skilled player in a unit, it was great to watch, hopefully the new guy wearing Gus’s old tracksuits will be able to work similar magic....

That was in league 1. Converting in prem is very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If Potter decides to play three at the back Balogun could stay and we would need another backup.

Please. Have you seen him play? Complete donkey as already mentioned. If he’s our centre back, we are this years Fulham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The chain will collapse as Maguire won't be going to Man City.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Anyone that thinks he's coming here as a replacement for either Dunk or Duffy is terribly deluded.
Potter likes playing three CB's, so signing additional is key for this. IMHO Clarke is unlikely to be a starter as the step up would be immense for the lad.
At 22 I'm sure he'll be a further asset to our massively talented U23's squad whilst waiting for cup games or being called upon for a place on the bench.

I'm in no way saying he isn't good enough, the same as everyone else I simply don't know. If Potter rates him, in Potter I trust.

IF Dunk and/or Duffy go, I'm sure we'll have other replacements coming in, I also trust in Bloom, that we won't be selling a c£30M defender and replacing them with a c£3M defender as that would quite simply be f***ing stupid, and we aren't run like that.

It seems every summer we worry about the same thing, losing the double D's. I'm not worrying this summer, so this'll probably be the one they leave. As always, let's hope it's not! I've got a lot of trust going on there, but I'm certain we'll be at least as competitive come the start of next season as we were the end of the last.

:albion2:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not forgetting Duffy is our second leading scorer.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don’t know a lot about Matt Clarke other than he was Pompey’s PPOTS for 18/19. To be a Potter target last season and this, he must be good on the floor, so I’m very hopeful about this. Not really seen enough of Balogun either TBH, but I assume someone has cast a slide rule over him and decided he is not good enough as back up because he might not have the ground ball skills to play out from the back as GP would like. Mind you, neither does Duffy. The biggest transformation I think I ever witnessed was AEA under Poyet, from a thug to a skilled player in a unit, it was great to watch, hopefully the new guy wearing Gus’s old tracksuits will be able to work similar magic....

I thought that was funny, another reason to get him in, saving on the clothing, though he is slightly shorter.
He will have to have polo neck trousers running up and down the touchline !

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Being POTS in League 1 is great, and a good sign for a Championship player. You'd have to expect if he came here though he'd be a squad player. Maybe he needs a year out in the Championship on loan first too.

That got me thinking, Swansea are in the shit finance wise, has a manager who left to move up the ladder (and as such probably isn't popular) ever decided to loan a few players to his old club? Can't think of any examples it's happened in that way but shirly would be good for all parties if people didn't take things personally.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
He's 22 which isn't that young, Jadon Sancho is playing for England and he's 19. I would hate to see him lost in the u23's. Get him in, see what he's like in training etc.. then if he's good enough he's old enough. I know it's a bit of a jump but he must be playing senior football to progress

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Anyone that thinks he's coming here as a replacement for either Dunk or Duffy is terribly deluded.
Potter likes playing three CB's, so signing additional is key for this. :

He’s pretty pragmatic and switched between a back three and back four at Swansea.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Presumably you were referring to the twitter post by the player's mum rather than the deal itself??

It’s not Matt Clarke’s mum but a team mate ( perhaps she has inside info or perhaps she’s just making assumptions based on rumours/press stories).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Graham Potter is on holiday by the way so chances of players having medicals or signings being completed this week are remote, despite the usual twitter rumour (MO: guess what might happen, say it has, delete guesses if they don't turn out to be true) accounts saying otherwise.

PS: Graham Potter is on holiday by the way so chances of players having medicals or signings being completed this week are remote, despite the usual twitter rumour (MO: guess what might happen, say it has, delete guesses if they don't turn out to be true) accounts saying otherwise.

Are you saying he can't be contacted and all the clubs transfer business has to stop while he is away ? Does he personally undertake the medicals ?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Am I the only one a bit meh about this one? If I had to pick one part of the team that didn't need additions it would be this.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Are you saying he can't be contacted and all the clubs transfer business has to stop while he is away ? Does he personally undertake the medicals ?

No of course not and i'm certain its progressing on all fronts (but of course many of the players we are targeting are on holiday too) but rumour accounts implying that , for example , that x is having a medical are premature to say the least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here