Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gordon Banks RIP

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a relative youngster, it was Clemence and Shilton, sometimes Corrigan as England keepers, Moseley, Steele at Brighton, when I was a lad, But Gordon Banks was always THE keeper, no one else came close.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a relative youngster, it was Clemence and Shilton, sometimes Corrigan as England keepers, Moseley, Steele at Brighton, when I was a lad, But Gordon Banks was always THE keeper, no one else came close.

Similar football timing for me. Peter Grummitt was the Albion’s goalkeeping god, I was lucky to see the very end of his career.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Choked and saddened. I was ten in '66 and from then on, Banks was, for me, never surpassed by any of his successors in the England goal. I actually cried when I heard this sad news - his family must be devastated. RIP.

Quite.

So sad, hadn’t realised he had cancer....

The penalty save against Stoke often gets forgotten. That was brilliant as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Digressing, I went to an annual Albion dinner at the Brighton Centre about 12 years ago, where the guest speaker was George Cohen. All tables were sold, a big crowd. During George’s short talk, a lot of punters carried on talking and laughing. Dick Knight grabbed the mic and told the audience to show respect to an England legend.

I think George Cohen went into the building game after he hung up his boots,I'm not sure,but I remember being on a site in the early 80's
I think he was a rep or something, this bloke said to me,do you know who that was? I said no and he replied that's George Cohen!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20190212_194446.jpg

This was taken with my father at Gatwick 1991/92, where Gatwick Rail Station won an award for best station saving on electricity, I also met the guy, what a gent and an honour.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
View attachment 104586

This was taken with my father at Gatwick 1991/92, where Gatwick Rail Station won an award for best station saving on electricity, I also met the guy, what a gent and an honour.

He epitomised the adjective of class, in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here