Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] UBER Licence Revoked in Brighton and Hove

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
The Taxi Company’s have upped their game since Uber came into the City, but this is why imho they need to stay. If you’re a London based Uber driver you can still work in the City. We’ve f*#^ed off our local drivers.. Short sighted

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
But Uber agreed that when they applied last year they were not fit and proper.

The licensed was issued for a short period with a number of new licensing conditions that no one else has to adhere too, as Uber are still (my words) a basket case.

Uber also admitted in court that they had been operating illegally, and over two million bookings were untaken outside of the law. They also admitted that a previous manager had misled the High Court.

And they also had to pay TfL’s £425,000 legal bill.

TB

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But Uber agreed that when they applied last year they were not fit and proper.

The licensed was issued for a short period with a number of new licensing conditions that no one else has to adhere too, as Uber are still (my words) a basket case.

Uber also admitted in court that they had been operating illegally, and over two million bookings were untaken outside of the law. They also admitted that a previous manager had misled the High Court.

And they also had to pay TfL’s £425,000 legal bill.

TB

Can you remind us what you do for a living?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He has a point though.

Only if your heart is set on Uber failing, and the incredibly expensive taxi tariffs set by BHCC winning the day.

It all boils down on NSC to the age old dichotemy:

1. Left wing minded want the BHCC licensed cabs to maintain their monopoly. No change.

2. Others who favour competition and lower fares.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Only if your heart is set on Uber failing, and the incredibly expensive taxi tariffs set by BHCC winning the day.

1. Left wing minded want the BHCC licensed cabs to maintain their monopoly. No change.

As someone who is left wing minded, your first point is bollocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As someone who is left wing minded, your first point is bollocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I say it with knowledge, without revealing who exactly. Happen to know key trade union leaders in B&H, who have fought any threat to the might of hackneys in the city for 25 years (long before Uber), and strongly lobby the council for higher tariffs.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well, I say it with knowledge, without revealing who exactly. Happen to know key trade union leaders in B&H, who have fought any threat to the might of hackneys in the city for 25 years (long before Uber), and strongly lobby the council for higher tariffs.

Doesn’t surprise me that Cartels are alive and well in the Unions, it’s what they fight for!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

3. Right wing minded who don’t mind a wage and employment rights race-to-the-bottom as long as it’s not their profession being shafted.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
UBER Licence Revoked in B&H

3. Right wing minded who don’t mind a wage and employment rights race-to-the-bottom as long as it’s not their profession being shafted.

I’m more than certain you share the same concerns for Estate Agents and the rise in popularity for cheaper online alternatives?

Oh and my Uber driver on a Thursday told me Uber are introducing 3 weeks paid holiday, incidentally he is a BHCC licensed driver who prefers to work for Uber, go figure that!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m more than certain you share the same concerns for Estate Agents and the rise in popularity for cheaper online alternatives?

I don’t like races to the bottom in any sector so if this is the case then yes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
UBER Licence Revoked in B&H

I don’t like races to the bottom in any sector so if this is the case then yes.

Surely if existing BHCC private hire drivers are jumping ship to Uber for what my bloke on Thursday said are better more efficient working conditions this cannot be a bad thing, says more about the cartels running the main company in Brighton right?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely if existing BHCC private hire drivers are jumping ship to Uber for what my bloke on Thursday said are better more efficient working conditions this cannot be a bad thing, says more about the cartels running the main company in Brighton right?

Summed up perfectly.

Restrictive practices and closed shops can go too far, costing customers.

Change was driven by this particular local cartel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have no idea why your bloke moved. But all I want is a level playing field which has not been the case to date. Even Uber themselves have admitted, in court this week, they have cut corners and in some cases broken the terms of their license if not the law. And I still feel the T&Cs of their employees still leave something to desire even though these have improved marginally due to another court case they lost.

If I set up an Estate Agents next to you and run rough-shod over numerous local and national law to cut corners to force you out of business I’m sure you’d be annoyed? This is, in effect what they have done, as two huge court cases they have lost demonstrate. Put simply this isn’t fair.

You’ll now have to excuse me as it’s Sunday which means The Bird Burger Joint...and due to the extra time in the World Cup I now need to book a taxi :wink:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
City cab co's have had it too good for too long. It's a racket and 2/3rds of the drivers can barely speak English or even know their way to known landmarks. One foreign chap took me half way up Edward St before I managed to persuade him to stop as it wasn't the way to the King and Queen.
With Uber you'll probably get the same but at least you don't have to pay through your japseye for it.

It appears that cab owners can allow other drivers to use their cab, can agree that these jockeys local knowledge is
not very good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here