Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ok, so who’s got their semi final ticket and how many?

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Away games have always been better than home games, I’d predict that is the same for most if not all clubs, even Scousers moan about the kop being half full of tourists now.
You need to accept that those days are not coming back. Even if we have a make believe referendum that everyone buys into and wishes really really hard for. We’ll all wake up to tomorrow another day older and it still won’t be 1985 again......
Very true but we can rage against the dying light.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Totally agree with this. I now go to the Amex and it's a very different experience but my 13 year old absolutely loves it. He's just had confirmation that he can get a season ticket and he wants the full on 'North Stand' experience. I smile when I think about the North Stand at the Goldstone and wonder what the hell he'd think of that?!

Dare I say that not only the Goldstone but in some awful way Withdean was a better football experience.Dont get me wrong there is much to admire about the Amex but it is often a soulless experience.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
STH,bronze members,loyalty points it does my head in.I pine for the days when it was in the pub sat am get to the turnstyle at 2.50 and find a spot in the north stand.Some times you were not even sure who you were playing at kick off but you never missed a game.
.As much as I love the Albion and thank Mr Bloom for his work I do feel football at the Amex has become increasingly corporate.I know of two long term sth who having given up going to home matches but go to almost all away games and are no longer sth.They describe the Amex experience as Emirates the sequal.I believe this is not a problem just of the Albion but of the corporate juggernaut that is the epl/tv.
I also fear that the Wembley experience will be a repeat of most big sporting events and indeed 1983.I remember for the reply when my local pub took a coach to Wembley and I believe only 10 out of the 40 passengers were regular Goldstoners the rest either casual fans at best or just hangers on.

I sometimes feel the same regarding the huge corporate nature of the Albion these days. But given the choice between growth or stagnation (or worse), progress comes with that price. It is overall worth paying.

Interesting comparison to the emirates. I work with an arsenal fan who goes more to the Albion because in his words, the atmosphere is loads better. Helps that it is convenient for his location as well. I also work with an Arsenal fan whose family goes way back through generations of support. Her boys, brought up in Sussex, started going to the Amex several years ago and kind of supported both clubs. When I asked her recently, she was disappointed as she told me they no longer were bothered about the gunners, but were fully behind BHA. One thing they had impressed on her was the improved atmosphere at Brighton.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
STH,bronze members,loyalty points it does my head in.I pine for the days when it was in the pub sat am get to the turnstyle at 2.50 and find a spot in the north stand.Some times you were not even sure who you were playing at kick off but you never missed a game.
.As much as I love the Albion and thank Mr Bloom for his work I do feel football at the Amex has become increasingly corporate.I know of two long term sth who having given up going to home matches but go to almost all away games and are no longer sth.They describe the Amex experience as Emirates the sequal.I believe this is not a problem just of the Albion but of the corporate juggernaut that is the epl/tv.
I also fear that the Wembley experience will be a repeat of most big sporting events and indeed 1983.I remember for the reply when my local pub took a coach to Wembley and I believe only 10 out of the 40 passengers were regular Goldstoners the rest either casual fans at best or just hangers on.

I can't remember how many Albion fans were at Wembley in 1983 but if you were expecting 30-35000 Goldstone regulars you were always going to be disappointed. Those numbers simply didn't exist. The club is better supported now and loyalty points etc are simply a way of recognising that fact. Demand often exceeds supply and your alternative would simply mean a free for all where you and many other regulars would often miss out. I can only imagine the agonised threads that would then appear on NSC.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There were some great times "back in the day" and some dreadfully shit ones as well.

I remember our group drinking in town near the station then getting the train to Hove as late as possible, walking to the ground, paying a relatively small amount of money to the bloke on the turnstile and standing in more or less the same spot every week. I remember "smoking goals in" which Nick Hornby also talks about in Fever Pitch, basically lighting up a B&H with the thought that you don't mind losing it in a goal-bundle. Not sure my 12 year old son would understand the concept of half a stand piling on each other with lit ciggys in their hands. I remember not needing a ticket to get in to the Southampton QF when all their fans piled in at the same time at about 2.30 or Arsenal the year after.

I also remember not getting in at all when we had the Pompey home cup game and watching most of it from the gardens in Goldstone Lane. I only realised some of their firm were in there when we scored. Still a PB to the station. I remember having to take days off work to get tickets for any really big game (Liverpool away 91, playoffs same year etc) instead of just being able to pick them up at the touch of a button. I remember nearly getting crushed trying to get on the pitch from the NS after Bristol Rovers in 87-88, still the closest I've ever come to serious injury. I just popped on to the pitch but cannot remember getting through the gate to this day. And I remember recalling this a year later, coming back from Leeds in a coach and passing coach loads of mourning and weeping football fans, because 96 of our own had lost their lives because coach loads of hangers on had been misdirected by the police, and because the ground fenced them in.

The world has moved on. It's safer, more immediate, fairer. It's a bit more sterile. But, ultimately, I know when my son starts going on his own in just a few years I should not need to worry about him being crushed or needlessly beaten by a policy truncheon. If the price for that is he has to join a membership, the money from which goes to buy stunning players who keep us in the Premier League and get us to Wembley then so be it.

Take your sepia tinted specs off.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Of course there is an element of sepia tinted specs in my views.However I do fear the coporate nature of the premier league. I would not like to go back to many elements of the lower divisions who would? I do wonder however if the premier league is sustainable long term with its super six and anyone else who make up the numbers.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I can't remember how many Albion fans were at Wembley in 1983 but if you were expecting 30-35000 Goldstone regulars you were always going to be disappointed. Those numbers simply didn't exist. The club is better supported now and loyalty points etc are simply a way of recognising that fact. Demand often exceeds supply and your alternative would simply mean a free for all where you and many other regulars would often miss out. I can only imagine the agonised threads that would then appear on NSC.

Points taken of course.As for agonized threads on NSC I suspect that while NSC can be many things it is very much a small sample of Albion fans.This can be seen on many threads where a hardcore group comment on most subjects.Good for them I say but I don't believe NSC is a reflection of many Albion fans.While NSC can be fun and informative it is not the voice of all.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
There were some great times "back in the day" and some dreadfully shit ones as well.

I remember our group drinking in town near the station then getting the train to Hove as late as possible, walking to the ground, paying a relatively small amount of money to the bloke on the turnstile and standing in more or less the same spot every week. I remember "smoking goals in" which Nick Hornby also talks about in Fever Pitch, basically lighting up a B&H with the thought that you don't mind losing it in a goal-bundle. Not sure my 12 year old son would understand the concept of half a stand piling on each other with lit ciggys in their hands. I remember not needing a ticket to get in to the Southampton QF when all their fans piled in at the same time at about 2.30 or Arsenal the year after.

I also remember not getting in at all when we had the Pompey home cup game and watching most of it from the gardens in Goldstone Lane. I only realised some of their firm were in there when we scored. Still a PB to the station. I remember having to take days off work to get tickets for any really big game (Liverpool away 91, playoffs same year etc) instead of just being able to pick them up at the touch of a button. I remember nearly getting crushed trying to get on the pitch from the NS after Bristol Rovers in 87-88, still the closest I've ever come to serious injury. I just popped on to the pitch but cannot remember getting through the gate to this day. And I remember recalling this a year later, coming back from Leeds in a coach and passing coach loads of mourning and weeping football fans, because 96 of our own had lost their lives because coach loads of hangers on had been misdirected by the police, and because the ground fenced them in.

The world has moved on. It's safer, more immediate, fairer. It's a bit more sterile. But, ultimately, I know when my son starts going on his own in just a few years I should not need to worry about him being crushed or needlessly beaten by a policy truncheon. If the price for that is he has to join a membership, the money from which goes to buy stunning players who keep us in the Premier League and get us to Wembley then so be it.

One of the best post in a long time. Well put.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Not really, don’t get me wrong its good but its about the same as other clubs (dare I say Palace.....). What it makes you realise is the utter money grabbing rip off merchants that are the FA and Wembley.

Clearly they are! I mean a tenner off for a kid is hardly generous. I went for £65 seats as my pals wanted to be on the upper tiers at the side. We got towards the front on the aisle in block 529, I’m very pleased with the seats. But still £120 for an adult and an 11year Old is ridiculous, we aren’t watching U2, it’s football!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Clearly they are! I mean a tenner off for a kid is hardly generous. I went for £65 seats as my pals wanted to be on the upper tiers at the side. We got towards the front on the aisle in block 529, I’m very pleased with the seats. But still £120 for an adult and an 11year Old is ridiculous, we aren’t watching U2, it’s football!

To be fair, paying £120 to watch U2 is ridiculous.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Ticket number explained please.
I'm Level 5 block 528 942
Pretty certain that is row 9 seat 42, is that correct? Needing to buy two more Wednesday but forgot where I'm sitting.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
So after being disheartened at no Purchase History I kind of lost track of seating choice.

I've since had a very generous NSC STH offer to buy me tickets on Wednesday.

Understanding lots of seats will be gone by then. What do we think will be the best seats available for atmosphere? While would rather slightly cheaper I am happy to pay the £80 if it means a better atmosphere.

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So after being disheartened at no Purchase History I kind of lost track of seating choice.

Understanding lots of seats will be gone by then. What do we think will be the best seats available for atmosphere? While would rather slightly cheaper I am happy to pay the £80 if it means a better atmosphere.

Cheers [emoji106]

Lower tier as close to the central areas behind the goal you can get I suspect.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Points taken of course.As for agonized threads on NSC I suspect that while NSC can be many things it is very much a small sample of Albion fans.This can be seen on many threads where a hardcore group comment on most subjects.Good for them I say but I don't believe NSC is a reflection of many Albion fans.While NSC can be fun and informative it is not the voice of all.

NSC is a better indication than your comment that you know of “at least 2” season holders who don’t like it and only go to away games.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I would normally be on in the first hour on the first day of sale for away games to pick the best seat (best for my criteria).
This one I am sat waiting for Bronze sale on Monday so that I can sit with my sons and grandson who are only Bronze members due to also living nowhere near Brighton. We can normally get together even when tickets are bought 2 weeks apart, but I don't think that is achievable at Wembley.
I was never concerned over availability, more the later posting date and potentially non-receipt. Being added to the 'dupes' list and then trying to find the appropriate ticket window at Wembley would be a challenge that I do want to address.

Cheers [emoji106]

Lower tier. £80 ones all but gone already. Behind the goal will be noisiest I suspect

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I'll add to this things I dont miss. The open air "toilet" in the East Terrace if you had to go during a game good luck fighting your way back. Having to turn up early to get a better view and then some 6'2 ******* easing their way in front of me 5 minutes before kick off because his mates let him in. Standing in the pissing cold rain. Someone stoking up a fat cigar and then it blowing into my face for the entire match. Being crushed in the North and dodging rivers of piss at half time running down the terrace. The Goldstone could be quiet not always a caudron of noise. Seeing bananas thrown on the pitch by our fans. Being chased across Hove Park by the ICF with my dad swearing he wont take me to another game. Big **** off fences errected with razor wire on top with no thought to crowd safety and yes it was voiced at the time how stupidly dangerous it was but nobody wanted to listen. How tickets were sold for the semi and finals.

There is lots of stuff I loved but lets not use rose tinted glasses.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I would normally be on in the first hour on the first day of sale for away games to pick the best seat (best for my criteria).
This one I am sat waiting for Bronze sale on Monday so that I can sit with my sons and grandson who are only Bronze members due to also living nowhere near Brighton. We can normally get together even when tickets are bought 2 weeks apart, but I don't think that is achievable at Wembley.
I was never concerned over availability, more the later posting date and potentially non-receipt. Being added to the 'dupes' list and then trying to find the appropriate ticket window at Wembley would be a challenge that I do want to address.

I'm the same for away games log in at nine o'clock on the first day, however for the Semi Final I held off until Friday two o'clock to get four if us together. I didn't feel comfortable with it but had no hassle getting four together. I think still lots of pairs up for grabs it no seats in front of each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here