Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham City club debts *** 9 POINT DEDUCTION ***

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was referring to the whinge that the club weren’t thinking as big as him, in not signing VVD, which gave rise to flirting with Cardiff and Reading job offers when he should’ve been 100% concentrating on his highly paid job of managing BHAFC’s playing side.

Poyet had a huge say on transfers, think CMS in and Muzza out. Barber’s arrival allowed TB to rein in some of Poyet’s power, his signing ideas were scrutnised.

I'd rather think of Calde (free) Bruno (free) Greer (just a few thousand) Orlandi, Lopez etc All managers have flops, but generally Poyet was in credit. There were others wasting money excessively, so don't point the finger in just one direction.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It looks to me like the football league have worked out a punishment, which looks harsh on paper, but won't be appealed against, (because they don't have the cash to lose an appeal). Had Birmingham been 4 points above the drop zone, there is no way they would have applied this punishment, as they know that it would involve them being in a nightmarish legal battle over the summer where nobody actually knows whether they have been relegated or not.

I understand the football league's difficult position on this one. What is needed is clarity. Ie this much % over FFP = this many points. I agree with applying it straight away

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Whether 9 points means a lot to Birmingham remains to be seen, but I am pretty sure it doesn't means a lot to the Clubs still below them right now, who have (I am assuming!) battled away within the rules.. albeit Bolton have their own issues

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd rather think of Calde (free) Bruno (free) Greer (just a few thousand) Orlandi, Lopez etc All managers have flops, but generally Poyet was in credit. There were others wasting money excessively, so don't point the finger in just one direction.

Poyet whinged to the media, unforgivable. Hughton shows what true class is.

No wonder the bloke was sacked.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apart from this season Ipswich and Bolton are so shit-house that leaving Birmingham 1 point behind them would effectively relegate all 3. Actually I quite like that idea.

The shitness of the other clubs at the bottom can't be helped, but it does at least potentially help bail one of them out.

I can't see a downside to this. Other than maybe if Birmingham were already bottom. In which case, I'd have them starting next season on -9.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The shitness of the other clubs at the bottom can't be helped, but it does at least potentially help bail one of them out.

I can't see a downside to this. Other than maybe if Birmingham were already bottom. In which case, I'd have them starting next season on -9.

That’s what Brummie fans didn’t want, so that shows it would’ve been a true punishment.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Agreed. And Vicente and Bridge were attracted to the club by Poyet too.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
And Leeds. Didn't they get a double whammy ie 15 point deduction one season and 10 the next (or vice versa)

10 points the first season for entering administration, they only entered administration once their relegation from The Championship became certain thus trying to avoid any points deduction at the start of the following season in League 1. However that backfired as they couldn't agree a CVA and they were deducted 15 points for the start of the following season which ultimately cost them automatic promotion and they then lost the play off final to Doncaster.

This led to a rule change that said any points deduction for entering administration after the 3rd Thursday in March (the traditional transfer window closure day) would be applied to have the maximum impact. If it relegated a side then it would be applied at the end of a current season, if they stayed up then it would be applied at the start of the next season.

I think the administration rule above should be applied, as its now past the third Thursday in March the 9 point deduction should only be applied if it relegates Birmingham otherwise finishing a few places lower in the Championship this season is no real punishment at all. If they are going to be safe then let it apply next season and they can start on -9.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Had this leaked last night and it is very good news for Birmingham. Having lost four on the trot they were out of playoff contention. Giving them a 9 point deduction instead of the possible 12 or 15 means that relegation is unlikely, so promotion and relegation were improbable before the rules and are improbable after the ruling.

The only winners in this are, of course, the lawyers, who will have trousered a fortune to add to the £5-6 million they made from the QPR decision.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Apart from this season Ipswich and Bolton are so shit-house that leaving Birmingham 1 point behind them would effectively relegate all 3. Actually I quite like that idea.
Me too. Would mean that Rotherham were safe too which I approve of so they can terrorise Wednesday [emoji23] again next season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Because he only takes jobs where the owners are planning to spend loads of money on players (presumably, also, on Harry himself)?
It's unfair to insinuate that the cleared of tax fraud, completely honest, Monaco bank account in dog's name holding, "it was resting in my account", can barely read let alone do maths guv, salt of the erf, luxury flat developing, multi millionaire Harry might like a bung.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So that 9 point punishment will probably end up being meaningless. How did they arrive at the figure of 9 points ? Luton were deducted 10 points for financial chicanery a few years ago (plus another 20 points for insolvency). So why 9 points ? Why not 10, or 12 ? OK, how about this.

They’re being punished for cheating FFP. Therefore, they’ve cheated all the other clubs in the division who have stayed within the rules. So instead of a random, arbitrary number of points to deduct that may or may not have an effect, why not deduct enough points to put them 1 point ADRIFT at the bottom of the table ? That way, you’ve instantly given a lifeline to 1 or more clubs battling relegation, as well as removed them from any potential promotion battles. You've not only punished them, you've also benefited all the other clubs that they’ve cheated against. One club will immediately rise above the relegation line as a result. Maybe sometimes it will all but relegate them at a stroke, maybe they’ll still have a fighting chance of staying up, but either way, it’s a tangible PUNISHMENT that will benefit the teams that they cheated against.

Can’t see a problem with that meself.

This

Luton took years to recover from their points deductions. Other clubs - and now Birmingham - have all but got away with cheating.
Leicester wouldn’t have even been in the Premier League without cheating. They had a £3m fine whilst trousering £100m a year plus plus as a result of that cheating
Pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Birmingham City to be deducted nine points for EFL rule breaches

Assuming 'Our 'Arry' was there for part of that, is this yet another club he has left behind in turmoil?

Edit: Thanks for merging this in so quick mods... I couldn't find it on the first page... my bad!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Had this leaked last night and it is very good news for Birmingham. Having lost four on the trot they were out of playoff contention. Giving them a 9 point deduction instead of the possible 12 or 15 means that relegation is unlikely, so promotion and relegation were improbable before the rules and are improbable after the ruling.

The only winners in this are, of course, the lawyers, who will have trousered a fortune to add to the £5-6 million they made from the QPR decision.

So it isn't even a punishment then? Great.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sadly not even close to ouch. 5 points above relegation is more of a slap on the wrist. They need to grow a pair and go with instant relegation and, if you are relegated then you go down two divisions. All the time the fine is just to finish a bit further down the table then clubs will keep trying it on. And I don't buy this "Not fair on the supporters" guff. It isn't fair on the supporters of other clubs when a team breaks the rules and you don't hear the fans of that team complaining when the gamble works.

Different rules for different clubs: Villa, Leicester, Wolves, Bournemouth come to mind. If/when the latter three get relegated will they go straight to -9pts? Doubt it. Will Villa get punished? Doubt it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here