Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best Ever Away Support at Palace

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Are you mixing that up with the game in August 1974 when Ian Mellor scored late on? I think I saw every Palace game that Ward played in and don't remember him scoring any late winners.

I bow down to your better memory if that was game we were outplayed and got late winner. I do remember in those days Jim Cannon was one of few defenders who most of time got better of Peter Ward

I remember an all-ticket game at the Goldstone where they had the whole of the South Stand. Would that have been late 70s? And wouldn't that have been around 5000?
That could only have been the FA Cup 1st round match (20th November 1976, 2-2) as the season ticket holders wouldn't be denied their seats for a league match. I don't remember seeing any Palace in the South Stand that day.

Last edited:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Even at Stamford Bridge in 1976 it seemed that we had more fans there than Palarse We had the Shed end which was crammed but their end seemed a lot less full.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I remember an all-ticket game at the Goldstone where they had the whole of the South Stand. Would that have been late 70s? And wouldn't that have been around 5000?

Palace were given the South Stand terrace for the game on 24th February 1976, which the Albion won 2-0. I don’t think that terrace held 5000.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've been to Selhurst twice, the 5-0 loss and the 1-0 McShane game. Atmosphere for the 1-0 McShane game was insane. When we scored I got carried down from the back of the stand to a massive bundle at the bottom of the stairs without my feet touching the ground. Still think it is the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at any game. Never bothered going since then because I hate being treated like an animal by the local constabulary.

Exactly the same story and games as me! Although I didn’t get carried but remember standing on a wall at the end giving it large!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Must have been to Selhurst about 15 times. Wimbledon v Leeds early 70's about 45k 6/7 Brighton games Swindon v Gillingham and 6 odd Palace games.Been in every side. Even watch Palace away at whu.???
I remember that there were quite a few BHA fans who went to the Wim vs Leeds FA cup game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here