Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:nono: Oh my!

Really strong turnout at Seaford Beach parkrun this morning, I would guess over 200 but I might be massively lowballing that number. I flew home in 9th, mugging off a couple of fellas in the last 200 metres. I forgot my watch though, which is particularly annoying - so I have absolutely no idea what the time was. I think it was sub-20, but it could be anywhere between 19:30 and 20:30, I didn't have much sense of my own pace. The last time I had no sense of my own pace, I ran 19:51 at Darlington.

parkrun 97 for me today, and 16th different course.

Just seen a facebook post from another pal who did Seaford this morning - sounds like a superfast course if there's no wind - simple, pancake-flat out and back ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just seen a facebook post from another pal who did Seaford this morning - sounds like a superfast course if there's no wind - simple, pancake-flat out and back ?

Seaford parkrun.JPG

Absolutely - you just fly along the promenade, just past the monument and then turn at a cone a bit further. The barriers by the monument are quite tight and there's not the greatest amount of room on the promenade, summer months will be interesting along there with cyclists using the same path too. But it's definitely a PB worthy course, on the right day. The wind today when heading back west was not pleasant but also not as bad as I thought it was going to be. [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] might have a different opinion of it though!

Also [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - what prompted your huge effort yesterday?! Odd day of the week for a 35 mile track race!

D

Deleted member 2719

View attachment 105210

Absolutely - you just fly along the promenade, just past the monument and then turn at a cone a bit further. The barriers by the monument are quite tight and there's not the greatest amount of room on the promenade, summer months will be interesting along there with cyclists using the same path too. But it's definitely a PB worthy course, on the right day. The wind today when heading back west was not pleasant but also not as bad as I thought it was going to be. [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] might have a different opinion of it though!

Also [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - what prompted your huge effort yesterday?! Odd day of the week for a 35 mile track race!

I would have thought you guys liked a hill or two??? Come to Chichester, its not hard hard, but at least it has a bit of a gradient.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
View attachment 105210

My 'A race' for the first half the year is a 12 hour (night) track endurance event in April - I happened to see this 6 hour one advertised so thought it would be a good opportunity to practice pacing (got it a bit wrong), nutrition etc so it was basically just a training effort. I suspect the race organiser found it much easier to block book the track midweek than at the weekend................although he has several races most weeks anyway. You'd be amazed at the number of 'regulars' he has doing his races - odd mix of serious runners (the fastest guy yesterday did marathon distance in 2.40-odd) to those that barely run any of it (lot of bling-seekers)

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events

D

Deleted member 2719

Back on it this morning after having 3 weeks off due to Flu. Don't want that again.
I went out skinned up and was way too hot within 3k #nakedrunningisthewayforward

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I need to get back to Park Run ASAP. Really missing it and haven’t raced one since October. I think I’ll set aside Saturday 9th or 30th March as my return date. Venue TBC. Loads of choice now.

Glad Seaford went well for their first run

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
View attachment 105210

Might be a bit controversial, but these routes do nothing for me. Straight along and back - Prom, Lancing, even Worthing and now Seaford. I know they want to create new events but are loads of these ones really the answer?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Might be a bit controversial, but these routes do nothing for me. Straight along and back - Prom, Lancing, even Worthing and now Seaford. I know they want to create new events but are loads of these ones really the answer?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good to have options. I like variety so an out and back on a calm day is a great test of your speed with pb potential. Other courses are more scenic or test you in different ways. The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

D

Deleted member 2719

I need to get back to Park Run ASAP. Really missing it and haven’t raced one since October. I think I’ll set aside Saturday 9th or 30th March as my return date. Venue TBC. Loads of choice now.

Glad Seaford went well for their first run

Go big, go west...............................Chichester/Bognor

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't really consider the promenade runs in the same league as actual parks. They're good events for speed on a wonderful day, and they're good to tick off. But for me, I prefer Hove Park, Preston Park, Peacehaven, et al. There are good and bad things about all of them really, but I definitely lean more towards the variety of the parks.

Chichester is definitely on my radar, I'm envious that [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] has beaten me to it!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Put down a marker today, 23.57 at Maldon Prom parkrun for a 66.95% AG
new age category, so 51st pace and 1st V60

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After only 6 miles in 2 lurgy weeks ended this week with 50 miles to celebrate 50 days not drinking. Survived the ill advised jump in mileage with ice, knobby roller, stretching, hot magnesium baths, different pair of shoes every run and variety in sessions.
Need another week of the same before mini taper for Arena Age Grade Parkrun race at Hove Prom on 16th and another mini taper for the Hasting's Half on 24th, which will be a full out effort.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
16 miles for me this morning and it was absolutely horrible. No real shelter from the wind and rain that was swirling and gathering momentum at that early hour. Came home with everything soaked and legs covered in detritous. Definitely one to forget and just put in the bank. Plus my running mate was struggling badly after 13 or so miles and I had to make sure he got back safely, meaning a slow run/walk cool down. There are days when this running lark is just another thing to be endured.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Train to Angmerring this morning and then a steady trot home for 16.8 miles in 2hr 30m all made easier with the following wind. Perfectly satisfactory with nine weeks still to 3 Forts.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
After only 6 miles in 2 lurgy weeks ended this week with 50 miles to celebrate 50 days not drinking. Survived the ill advised jump in mileage with ice, knobby roller, stretching, hot magnesium baths, different pair of shoes every run and variety in sessions.
Need another week of the same before mini taper for Arena Age Grade Parkrun race at Hove Prom on 16th and another mini taper for the Hasting's Half on 24th, which will be a full out effort.

That’s a busy schedule you’ve got coming up especially with BM only 3 weeks after Hastings. I’m finding it hard to fit a taper in around Hastings so will probably do a long run on the Sunday before and then rest all week ready for the race. It’s not your 50 miles that tells me your focused but the 50 days. You narrowly beat me last time. Not sure things will be any different this rime round.

18 miles today and starting to feel good on the longer stuff. I plan 2 more 20 odd milers before BM and will throw in a Seaford park run at pace just because it’s new.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Hilly, muddy, windy, wet 17 miler for me this morning - Ovingdean to (nearly) Ditchling Beacon via Woodingdean, and Falmer (and back). Sometimes I love those kinds of run, but it was really horrible out there, and my legs are still a bit shot from last week's effort in the Brighton half. That's me completely useless for anything that doesn't involve a sofa for the rest of the day

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
16 miles for me this morning and it was absolutely horrible. No real shelter from the wind and rain that was swirling and gathering momentum at that early hour. Came home with everything soaked and legs covered in detritous. Definitely one to forget and just put in the bank. Plus my running mate was struggling badly after 13 or so miles and I had to make sure he got back safely, meaning a slow run/walk cool down. There are days when this running lark is just another thing to be endured.

My Strava was out for the first time today (except swimming when always wrong). I went over Shoreham footbridge to Shoreham Beach and along coast footpath towards Worthing. Strava shows me running north through Shoreham, swimming over the Adur between the rail bridge and the footbridge near Old Shoreham Road, then running 90 degrees through fields till back on the caost path. I think I entered a time/space vortex. Did you run in land?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That’s a busy schedule you’ve got coming up especially with BM only 3 weeks after Hastings. I’m finding it hard to fit a taper in around Hastings so will probably do a long run on the Sunday before and then rest all week ready for the race. It’s not your 50 miles that tells me your focused but the 50 days. You narrowly beat me last time. Not sure things will be any different this rime round.

18 miles today and starting to feel good on the longer stuff. I plan 2 more 20 odd milers before BM and will throw in a Seaford park run at pace just because it’s new.

The Arena 5K will just mean switching a Thursday 9 mile tempo to a 5K on the Saturday, Hastings Half will be a combination of the Thursday tempo and the long run. The biggest problem is entering a 20 miler Adur Worthing on the 31 March 2 weeks from BM. I'll do it at 10" miles but if like today will either bin it or run 16 and DNF.

Good running from you today I'll try and follow you up the hills at Hasting's. Do you know what the total ascent is?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
The Arena 5K will just mean switching a Thursday 9 mile tempo to a 5K on the Saturday, Hastings Half will be a combination of the Thursday tempo and the long run. The biggest problem is entering a 20 miler Adur Worthing on the 31 March 2 weeks from BM. I'll do it at 10" miles but if like today will either bin it or run 16 and DNF.

Good running from you today I'll try and follow you up the hills at Hasting's. Do you know what the total ascent is?

Just trawled through my Strava activity back to 2016 where it says 863ft. Surprised by that thought it was more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here