Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Amex catering prices are plain stupid and far to excessive

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Because they are a complete rip-off, the pies cost a fortune and the quality has degraded since the start of the Amex

I wouldn't say complete rip off, but they are definitely prohibitively expensive.

The catering company will be paying BHAFC for the privilege of using the ground and facilities, so it'd have to be a collaboration between the club and the caterers to bring prices down...

How it would affect the traders outside would be another question, so they would also have to be included in this...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because they are a complete rip-off, the pies cost a fortune and the quality has degraded since the start of the Amex

But the place is rammed, so basic supply and demand. From club POV what would reducing prices achieve ? And to be fair the pint price is very reasonable

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My chilli pie yesterday was particularly delicious. And 9/10 of the regular chicken pies have been very good or excellent. Obviously you can get the odd one that's not so good... but overall, the standard is still very high. Pity about the nice blue boxes though.

I don't feel ripped off at all.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
In fairness, the prices over there were just plain ridiculous to begin with. I went to a Blue Jays game not that long ago and they were charging £7-£8 for a beer. You’d pay £5 in a bar outside the stadium.

Compare that to the Amex. A pint will cost you, what, £4.80-£5.00 now? How much would you pay in town. £4.50 if you’re lucky?

Food on the other hand is probably 25% higher than it should be, but they have to make their money somehow.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't say complete rip off, but they are definitely prohibitively expensive.

The catering company will be paying BHAFC for the privilege of using the ground and facilities, so it'd have to be a collaboration between the club and the caterers to bring prices down...

How it would affect the traders outside would be another question, so they would also have to be included in this...

Looking online, it appears that Sodexo pay the club say £5m a season (perhaps more now we’re in the PL with 30,000 plus gates every time).

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
But the place is rammed, so basic supply and demand. From club POV what would reducing prices achieve ? And to be fair the pint price is very reasonable

That is the interesting point of the article.
The demand is high, however they have reduced the prices and still increased profits.
It's a business model that not many organisations would consider but it's proving successful.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is the interesting point of the article.
The demand is high, however they have reduced the prices and still increased profits.
It's a business model that not many organisations would consider but it's proving successful.

But it wouldn’t work here

Pevensey

Jan 29, 2019
Usually just buy a hot chocolate or tea + packet of crisps £3 something , could just bring your own snacks and sneak them in :D

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It was thought that it wouldn't work in North America either.
I highly doubt anyone would gamble their profits on even attempting it in the UK.
So we will never know if it would work here.

What I mean is, all US sports are a long day out. Longer than a UK football match, in terms of how long the games last - all much longer than football/soccer. Then they make a day of it, getting there early etc.

Even if the prices reduce, how could the Amex physically serve any more people? Unless fans started getting there earlier, staying later and we could drink in our seats

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My chilli pie yesterday was particularly delicious. And 9/10 of the regular chicken pies have been very good or excellent. Obviously you can get the odd one that's not so good... but overall, the standard is still very high. Pity about the nice blue boxes though.

Perception of quality of which we differ

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Perception of quality of which we differ

Relative to Ginsters it’s great. But, I had the chilli pie yesterday and as a premium pie it should be measured against other premium pies and it was average. Their other pies are average as well. And as [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] has said the quality has diminished since the Amex opened which doesn’t help the experience.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Relative to Ginsters it’s great. But, I had the chilli pie yesterday and as a premium pie it should be measured against other premium pies and it was average. Their other pies are average as well. And as [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] has said the quality has diminished since the Amex opened which doesn’t help the experience.

At least two seasons ago I had a Steak & Ale pie and thought it was bland for the price.

I had Cottage Pie at Fulham that was also bland however I expected to be underwhelmed as it was not marketed as something premium.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here