Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'One-shot' penalties and deliberate handball.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
One-shot' penalties - the ball is 'dead' if it is saved or hits the post from a penalty

Yes it would stop the encroachment, but how about we first try enforcing the existing rules before creating new ones

Handball - Players will be penalised for arm or hand movement towards the ball

Well, surely players are already penalised if they move their arm or hand towards the ball and the ball hits them there. Is the above suggesting that the arm/hand wouldn't have to make contact with the ball to be penalised?

Limited subs - Managers only able to make limited amount of changes, or none, in injury-time

No major objections to this but .... this is presumably to prevent time wasting .... how about the referees add the time that the substitutions and all the other delays take, (not about 60% of it). We'll know that refs are doing this when players actually tip doing it as they don't see the point. Again, by enforcing existing rules, you don't need to make new ones.

Closer subs - Substitutes would walk off nearest touchline rather than to technical area

No major objections again, but why not just add the time it takes, making walking off slowly pointless and it will just stop

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
1. The first player to pick up the ball to take a throw in MUST take the throw. No lobbing it to a team mate after 20 seconds of fannying about.

2. Players can only 'protect' a ball if they have touched it. That'll sort out all that b*ll*ck$
3. 80 minute games with clock stopped for agreed things as in rugby. Games ends when ball goes dead after 80 minutes (as in rugby). Cynical fouls by a winning team would not end the game.

When a player has received medical help and has to go off the pitch for a couple of minutes the player who commited the foul/tackle should go off too. Unfair advantage at the moment

I'll add to that - if a team had made all their subs and the a player gets injured through an opponents bad tackle/accidental headbutt etc and has to go off then an extra sub is allowed. So this would not have applied last week with AJ as it was a combination of fatigue and a slip - not from an opponent.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
If a player handles on the line to stop a certain goal he is sent off, so if a player tries to win a penalty by diving then the ref can award a 'special' penalty, although only he will know that it is 'special'. The penalty is taken in the usual way, if it is missed then the player who cheated to win the penalty is given a yellow card, however if the penalty is scored then the goal is disallowed and the diving cheat Zaha is sent off!

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
I am sure the rule is you can shield the ball if it’s in playing distance , sometimes when defenders run the ball out the ball
Is 10 feet in front of them. This surly should be obstruction?? Drives me mad !

In my opinion, if a defender does this a corner should be awarded as either the defender is obstructing the opponent, or is playing the ball, they can't have it both ways.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You may have to off back to the 70s or 80s and i have seen keepers carded for making the pitch. Seem to recall Graham Moseley (?) was once for marking the centre of the goal on the six yard line, and I'm sure the likes of Shilton and Clemence were also.

I love the mental image of keepers making the pitch! :)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
5 minute Sin Bin to be brought in (it is in the existing laws of the game) for the following offences:

1: Not retreating ten yards when a free kick is awarded.
2: Diving/Simulation or as I call it cheating.
3: Timewasting in dead ball situations including goalkeepers delaying goal kicks.
4: Leaving the field of play without permission (this is an existing law, but is never applied when teams do over exaggerated celebrations in front of the crowd).
5: Confronting a match official unless you are team captain.

All the above should still warrant a yellow card in addition to the time in the Sin Bin.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When the game is stopped for an injury and the ball is in play or kicked out of play deliberately the restart should ALWAYS be by a dropped ball.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One or two joyless suggestions on here. I love an over the top goal celebration or a bit of tactical time wasting, just so long as it’s us doing it. All part of the pantomime atmosphere at a good game that modern, corporate football seems to want to wipe out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
A clock which stops when the ball is out of play, a la Basketball / NFL.

Can't be hard, certainly for professional games.

I read in a recent Cardiff home game, the ball was in play for 42 minutes out of the 90.

It would stop time wasting at a stroke.

Perhaps shorten the game to 35 or 40 minutes a half, but you'd certainly be getting more 'ball in play time' than you do at the moment.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Players who score against the Albion should be deemed to be offside, and a free kick awarded.

Any own goals scored by Albion players MUST be the result of foul play and a foul awarded.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Any player who requires treatment following a challenge which has been penalised by the award of a free-kick should NOT be required to leave the pitch once the treatment has been given.

This has always struck me as a bloody stupid rule as the team who has been fouled against suffers a disadvantage when taking the free-kick.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So this goal wouldn't have counted then?

I think it would. It's an extreme version of a shot hitting the post or the bar and going in.

If that doesn't count then surely any penalty which grazes the post on its way in would not count either.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The single biggest beneficial change I can think of for football would be to have a full post-match video review. From that review, any player found to have conducted themselves outside the rules for any reason can then be sanctioned whether or not they were originally acted on during the game. The sorts of thing I'm thinking of:

- Clear cut cases of simulation to win fouls / penalties (aka "diving").
- Clear cut cases of faking injuries to fool the ref.
- Clear cut cases of mobbing the ref to dispute decisions.
- Any cases of deliberate dangerous play (eg Lukaku kicking out at one of ours last season).

The results of these reviews should be published in full. Penalties to be handed out can range from "slap on the wrist" financial penalties, through to retrospective cards, and bespoke suspensions for particularly nasty incidents.

In other words: enforce the rules that already exist in a setting where time pressure isn't a factor.

The AFL in Australia already has a system like this (example report here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/match-review-full-statement-for-round-23). They mostly hand out slap on the wrist fines, but they do (as in one case from the report linked here) issue suspensions when warranted. (Worth noting that the AFL view on physicality accepts that a certain degree of wrestling is "part of the game" and thus tends to go with simple fines, but they do take a very dim view on dangerous play resulting in head injuries).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A clock which stops when the ball is out of play, a la Basketball / NFL.

Can't be hard, certainly for professional games.

I read in a recent Cardiff home game, the ball was in play for 42 minutes out of the 90.

It would stop time wasting at a stroke.

Perhaps shorten the game to 35 or 40 minutes a half, but you'd certainly be getting more 'ball in play time' than you do at the moment.
Good idea in theory but try selling it to the TV companies when a game could then last over two hours.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Good idea in theory but try selling it to the TV companies when a game could then last over two hours.

Given the vast majority (or is it all now?) of UK football is shown on Pay TV, the TV companies probably wouldn't care one bit if it meant that the show became more compelling and thus brought in more (paying) viewers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here