Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton and Injuries tracker 2018/19

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] hasn't posted any updates for 5 days now.

We'll find out tomorrow afternoon...

2018/19 PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHDAY 8 BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION v West Ham United
Friday 5th October, 2018 – 2000 BST

Dear all,

Please find below details of our Manager's Press Conference:

DATE: Wednesday 3rd October
TIME: 1.30pm
VENUE: American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, Mash Barn Lane, Lancing BN15 9FP
SUBJECT: Chris Hughton

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Dear all,

VENUE: American Express Elite Football Performance Centre, Mash Barn Lane, Lancing BN15 9FP

And then on here shortly after in a little list. (The injury bit not the stuff about what a good side West Ham are etc etc )

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Dear all,

Dam..cant make it..a tad busy

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Injury Status - West Ham presser.

Gross [ankle] - Still out for West Ham

Stephens [hamstring] - "close" - will make a late decision.

Everyone else: Available. He added that "Florin Andone is doing fine as well - him being left out last weekend was a tactical decision, he's fit and available for Friday."

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Injury Status - West Ham presser.

Gross [ankle] - Still out for West Ham

Stephens [hamstring] - "close" - will make a late decision.

Everyone else: Available.

PLEASE can we see Izquierdo at least on the bench. West Ham are probably terrified of him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Pascal will now have been out for 5 weeks, thats more than a knock?

Doubt we'll see Dale either, Hughton's 'very close' is code for just going in for surgery

Its exactly what he said about Lewis Dunk in the press conference before Fulham and he went straight back into the team.
He's never said Gross had a "knock' . Its an ankle problem. And he said he was likely to miss a number of games and he has.

Hughton has so far been accurate about the returns to injury times this season for Duffy, Murray, Locadia, Dunk, Bruno, Izquierdo, (after initial setback) Andone . See this , er thread.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Its exactly what he said about Lewis Dunk in the press conference before Fulham and he went straight back into the team.
He's never said Gross had a "knock' . Its an ankle problem. And he said he was likely to miss a number of games and he has.

Hughton has so far been accurate about the returns to injury times this season for Duffy, Murray, Locadia, Dunk, Bruno, Izquierdo, (after initial setback) Andone . See this , er thread.

He said precisely the opposite as quoted by you! #298

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He said precisely the opposite as quoted by you! #298

Hughton said he wouldn't be out for anything more than "a number of games' - i read that to be - no more than 2 or 3 games.
If he returns for Wolves then he will have missed 3 games. (spurs, man city, west ham). If not then fair enough.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Gross [ankle]- “it’s not one that is going to keep him out for a number of games”

I am not sure how you can have read that as CH saying he was likely to miss a number of games.

He also missed the Southampton game of course....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Gross [ankle]- “it’s not one that is going to keep him out for a number of games”

I am not sure how you can have read that as CH saying he was likely to miss a number of games.

I read it to mean , its not a long term injury, he'll be out for a short period of time. What do you think it meant. He'll be back next week ?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I read it to mean , its not a long term injury, he'll be out for a short period of time. What do you think it meant. He'll be back next week ?

I didn't read anything into it as along with the only other exchange we have had in this thread I don't assume CH to be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth in his press conferences. However, if you want a literal interpretation then no, I don't tend to think that an injury that will not keep someone out for a number of games would generally keep them out for a number of games!

I hope your interpretation is accurate, if you can consider 5 weeks to be a short period of time, because we need him back asap.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I didn't read anything into it as along with the only other exchange we have had in this thread I don't assume CH to be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth in his press conferences. However, if you want a literal interpretation then no, I don't tend to think that an injury that will not keep someone out for a number of games would generally keep them out for a number of games!

I hope your interpretation is accurate, if you can consider 5 weeks to be a short period of time, because we need him back asap.

We need him back !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I would say 4 games is a number of games. I would read that as 1 or 2 max.

Who knows, just giving you my interpretation and Hughtons phrasing there was clearly open to various ways of reading it. I just read it as not a long term injury

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Injury Status. quotes from Hughton via https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16962026.west-ham-tormentor-jose-izquierdo-will-not-be-rushed-back/

Gross [ankle] -
“Yes it has [taken longer than expected] but it’s been dealt with the right way. What you want is somebody who is coming back fully fit with no prospect of them breaking down again.
“What we have after Friday is this international break. And our hopes are that he will be available for Newcastle.
“The medical department have done everything right. You can rush somebody back and it ends up taking that bit longer, so no setback, it’s just taken longer than we initially thought.”

Izquierdo [knee] - “Anybody who plays in any game is generally because I think it’s right and they are at the level. And anything with Jose on Friday [v West Ham] will be the same.
“What we want him to do is obviously to get back to the form he had last season and give us the addition of the goals that he can.
“But his pre-season has been different. He has started later than everybody else and it’s been a case of him getting up to speed.
“So they will be the decisions about whether he starts or not and what he did against West Ham last season won’t have any effect.”

Stephens [hamstring] - late decision for West Ham

Hughton said in the press conference on Wednesday that Stephens, Gross aside that everyone was available.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Hughton said he wouldn't be out for anything more than "a number of games' - i read that to be - no more than 2 or 3 games.
If he returns for Wolves then he will have missed 3 games. (spurs, man city, west ham). If not then fair enough.

I would say 4 games is a number of games. I would read that as 1 or 2 max.

Merriam Webster says: more than two but fewer than many

Macmillan says: more than a few, but not many

Collins says: an unspecified number of; several or many

So that's that cleared up then.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Standard reporting this afternoon that Stephens is “fit again”
I think this is a misinterpretation of Hughton’s presser rather than new info . But we’ll see.

ed70465e42f801b576f1a59faf893446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
West Ham team / injury update

- Andone makes 2nd appearance on bench since recovery
- no return yet for Izquierdo who was “available”
- Stephens, despite reputed late checks, didn’t make it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here