Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Out of Swansea? Does he hate them?

There's someone who's never been there. The area around Swansea is absolutely glorious - the Gower is one the most beautiful parts of the UK - and the city itself isn't bad either. We can often rely on the appeal of Sussex but it's not going to help in this case

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maybe he is just one of a list of three candidates. Maybe he was the first one approached but he may not be our no 1 target. Maybe we need to interview each possibility and then decide who is the best person for the job.Maybe?

And maybe he's not actually on the list and all this is a load of b0llocks :thumbsup:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I don't think this is going to happen. I think the Swans will move a lot (of cash) to keep him, he seems (reportedly) to be very anti re uprooting his family... he'll view us as a career risk (rightly) nah... next.

This and I remain unconvinced re his overall ability to make the grade.

My opinion aside, I prefer us with an experienced manager, why? Far less likely to be poached after one good season. Ultimately with a Potter type at the helm, they do well - bye bye BIG club, we go down bye bye... square one far sooner than with an experienced man in the dugout. This does not mean an experienced failure... I feel I have to stress that for the countless pedants.

Either way, I think this appointment is unlikely right now. Timing is always key, and in relation to Potter, I think we've miscalculated BIG time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There's someone who's never been there. The area around Swansea is absolutely glorious - the Gower is one the most beautiful parts of the UK - and the city itself isn't bad either. We can often rely on the appeal of Sussex but it's not going to help in this case

I don't think it comes down to beaches and downland, a lot of it is proximity. The surrounding area might be nice, but it is in the middle of nowhere.

Nobody with any sense is going to believe that he doesn't want to uproot his family from Swansea, It is simply a bargaining tool.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The city centre is pretty run down these days unfortunately (most folk head toward the out of town shopping at Trostre or Fforest-fach) but as you say the Gower is great. Like anywhere else there is good and bad.....

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

I have been there.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I believe form since December 5th would have us in 19th spot

Fixed that for you.

We're all judged across the whole season.

As far as the table is concerned, and the payments that arise from the table, yes, this is right.

As far as job security for the manager ... this often is *not* correct, and clearly isn't in the case of Hughton. He was judged on the basis of the 23 games played since December 5th being exceptionally poor in terms of results.

To be fair to Hughton - we had some really good performances in those 23 games. The problem was they were all either in the Cup, or against top-of-table opponents who nevertheless still took points off us despite the quality of our performance. The flip side of that is we had some absolutely rubbish performances against fellow-relegation prospects in those 23 games as well.

A lot of similarity there with Wolves season, except Wolves actually managed to take points off the top 6 when they were "on it" whereas we didn't in the main.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes he's lying. Nowhere near done. Albion relying on the word of agents again. Cursory research would have shown them that potter is very reticent to move his family again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No he isn't.

He might be reluctant to move his family. He might be reticent about whether he wants to move his family. He can't be reticent to move his family.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who would be?!

Why wouldn't they be ? Great coastal city, superb surrounds, a marina to rival ours. Not as expensive as Brighton either.

If someone is settled then they would need a lot of encouragement to move.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I don't think this is going to happen. I think the Swans will move a lot (of cash) to keep him, he seems (reportedly) to be very anti re uprooting his family... he'll view us as a career risk (rightly) nah... next.

This and I remain unconvinced re his overall ability to make the grade.

My opinion aside, I prefer us with an experienced manager, why? Far less likely to be poached after one good season. Ultimately with a Potter type at the helm, they do well - bye bye BIG club, we go down bye bye... square one far sooner than with an experienced man in the dugout. This does not mean an experienced failure... I feel I have to stress that for the countless pedants.

Either way, I think this appointment is unlikely right now. Timing is always key, and in relation to Potter, I think we've miscalculated BIG time.

Have you read about Swansea. They don't have a lot of money. Their owners have invested very little. Can't see them going that large on trying to keep him. My Swansea supporting mate thinks it is far more likely they will want the £3m release cash than to keep him. Obviously that doesn't mean it's nailed on but its not ruled out yet.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This. Moreover, I think people have made far too much of the 'no Premier League managerial experience' issue. All world class managers have to start somewhere.

It's not even as if Potter doesn't have any managerial experience under his belt. I would much rather have a young up-and-coming manager who has already cut his teeth by developing a club from the bottom up in Sweden, and learnt how to contend with all manner of scenarios. Equally, we have a tendency to forget just how tough the Championship can be; to guide a team that has been asset stripped of its best players to 10th in the league is an amazing achievement - specially when relying on youth players to see you through.

The appointment of Potter would be far more preferable to some of the other names circulating. Lampard might be a glamorous name with a huge contact book, but he had inherited a Derby side with good players and he received significant backing from his Board, yet still managed to only sneak into the final play-off position. Equally, Neville has much more limited experience than Potter, albeit in a more high-profile position in England's women team. Evidence suggests that he's doing a good job there, but he has absolutely no experience of club management on a day-to-day basis.
Equally, Arteta has a reputation as an excellent coach, but so did Clement. While these names might be more instantly recognisable than Potter's, their managerial CVs don't even come close.

I think that much of the negativity surrounding NSC's discussion of Potter stems from the fact that we might not have been familiar with him or or his style of play, especially when compared with many of the other names in the frame. As such, many of us are underwhelmed by the suggestion. However, the Board are much better informed than the average NSC contributor and I have a degree of faith in their decision-making. I for one will withhold judgement until I see what Potter can actually bring to the Albion, if he is appointed.

Bang on. Although Arteta and Neville may well become good managers, being a good coach is never a guarantee. I'll see your Clement and raise you Schteevey Mac.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Why wouldn't they be ? Great coastal city, superb surrounds, a marina to rival ours. Not as expensive as Brighton either.

Premier league football.

Beautiful stadium.

State of the art training facilities.

Vibrant City.

Non absentee owner.

Ongoing investment.

Fish and chips.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Have you read about Swansea. They don't have a lot of money. Their owners have invested very little. Can't see them going that large on trying to keep him. My Swansea supporting mate thinks it is far more likely they will want the £3m release cash than to keep him. Obviously that doesn't mean it's nailed on but its not ruled out yet.

I think it's a misnomer that the US based owners have 'no money', more likely they were happy to asset strip following on from relegation. A second relegation without Potter at the helm devalues their (club) asset (I suspect) too much for their liking, and as such I think they'd suddenly be able to talk new deal in order to maintain a re-sale value of sorts for the club should they wish to cash in.

Indeed; Potter is a good bet to maintain the current standard and what's an extra 10k a week in order to maintain the status-quo whilst continuing to bring through youth players a re-sell at a HUGE profit?

I think you'll find they'll be very keen to keep their man...

I'm not a betting man, but I'm cashing in on this deal NOT happening. For this and the other reasons now seemingly in the public domain.

meh.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Premier league football.

Beautiful stadium.

State of the art training facilities.

Vibrant City.

Non absentee owner.

Ongoing investment.

Fish and chips.

True. But if someone is settled somewhere with their family they may feel they have what they want already.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The area around Swansea is absolutely glorious - the Gower is one the most beautiful parts of the UK - and the city itself isn't bad either. We can often rely on the appeal of Sussex but it's not going to help in this case
:smokin:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

This always seems to come up on here. There's some seriously arrogant Brightonians.
He's likeky to be living in the very smart marina area or the countryside, both of which are easily as nice as the Brighton alternatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here