Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The seven worst signings in the Premier League this season

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Albion could’ve broken the deadlock in emphatic fashion after Jahanbakhsh cut in off the left and saw his right-footed strike cannon back off the crossbar, with Jonas Lossl standing motionless in the Huddersfield goal.

Assume you missed the home game against Huddersfield otherwise you would have seen this that justifies the transfer fee alone

He was our amongst our best players that day (not much competition admittedly). He looked very good.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It is a worry that a player with such success in one season, can be so bang average the next. I wasn’t aware until I read it, that he didn’t manage an assist either. I hope a good pre-season gets him off and running next season, but I fear we will take a massive loss on him at some point

Its simple - he doesn't fit the Hughton "system" (if it can be called that) which begs the question - why the **** did we buy him in the first place. I don't think he's a bad player, he just doesn't fit.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Those asking why we signed him just look at those statistics from last season. Outstanding. We also play with out and out wide men every week when many clubs don’t so it was an obvious fit.

Those saying we shouldn’t sign from the Dutch league are also underestimating what we can afford. Imagine the cost of signing the top goal scorer with that many assists from any of the top European league it would be £50m plus at the very least.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Guessed right.

If ever a player had a season disrupted by injuries and International tournaments, especially one who likely needed time to settle, then this is the example.

Not saying he'll be a world beater or even good enough for a starting place in the future, but needs another season before anyone judges too harshly.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Wow. Out of all the mediocre shithouse that’s been signed across the PL....Ali makes the list? I’ll bet the journo responsible is a Palace fan.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I hope so too, but it's worrying that he's not shown even a glimpse of promise. No assists and not even a single notable bit of skill. (Assume he looks better in training)

Great facial hair, though.

Totally disagree. He's had a few good games and showed plenty of signs of promise. If he'd scored a couple of goals he would be nowhere near the list.

He's only ever played in the Iranian and Dutch leagues, and while my Iranian league knowledge isn't quite up to scratch, we can assume that just like the Dutch league it's a totally different style of play. Maybe he was used to playing further up the field, maybe he was offered more opportunities in the final third, maybe his previous teams played attacking or even rapid counter attack football... To judge a forward with our style of play is a little unfair, especially considering he was mostly injured for the part of the season where we were any good.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Obviously hope he comes good, but we just don't know.
He has had a fair chance this season and much to the surprise of many, has started games ahead of Solly and Knocky, begging the question, why?
Is it him, is it the style of play, positional, coaching etc. etc.?
Heaven knows; let us hope someone can unlock the talent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wow. Out of all the mediocre shithouse that’s been signed across the PL....Ali makes the list? I’ll bet the journo responsible is a Palace fan.

:shrug:

He's our record signing, has failed to register ONE goal or even ONE assist.in over 20 appearances.

I'd be amazed if anyone failed to put him on the list, tbh.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is Joe Hart on the list every year?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This.

I know I've hammered him on his own thread but I've said a couple of times on there that I don't WANT him to be bad. I want him to prove us all wrong because then we'd have a fantastic player scoring goals and we all want that. But the worrying thing is he looks like he doesn't have the physical attributes for Premier League football. Not enough pace or strength. Because of that he loses out or goes missing which must have eventually whacked his confidence. I don't reckon he backs himself to show a piece of skill right now.

Needs a season long loan somewhere less challenging and then to come back with confidence and a full pre-season with us.

Like you I don't want him or Locadia to turn out to be poor buys. A Dutch fan at the Millwall game was saying how he was like that in Dutch league and that he got better second season, seems strange to me that it takes a year to acclimatise. So do we stick or bust?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only attack?
MOTD highlights....

Enough said..... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep best not let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt.

If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be.
It's such a shame they can't be content with him being disappointing.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Albion could’ve broken the deadlock in emphatic fashion after Jahanbakhsh cut in off the left and saw his right-footed strike cannon back off the crossbar, with Jonas Lossl standing motionless in the Huddersfield goal.

Assume you missed the home game against Huddersfield otherwise you would have seen this that justifies the transfer fee alone

Ha. Indeed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Totally disagree. He's had a few good games and showed plenty of signs of promise. If he'd scored a couple of goals he would be nowhere near the list.

He's only ever played in the Iranian and Dutch leagues, and while my Iranian league knowledge isn't quite up to scratch, we can assume that just like the Dutch league it's a totally different style of play. Maybe he was used to playing further up the field, maybe he was offered more opportunities in the final third, maybe his previous teams played attacking or even rapid counter attack football... To judge a forward with our style of play is a little unfair, especially considering he was mostly injured for the part of the season where we were any good.

Out tactics don't suit Locadia either - also playing in an unfamiliar league - but at least he's got us out of our seats a few times.

And, to be clear, that's a bloody low bar to reach!

Albion played well on Sunday. AJ wasn't injured. What did he contribute?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep best not let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt.

If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be.
It's such a shame they can't be content with him being disappointing.

This forced narrative of yours is making you look a bit of a dick.

IMO, like

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Had been desperate to give Alireza the benefit of the doubt but as the season has gone on he has proved to be useless. Can't see what he brings to the team at all currently. Hope he proves us all wrong next season (if he is still here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here