Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Seriously, this government is failing us. Schools closing...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What of course you mean is that YOU can't, because it suits your narrative.

Are you seriously suggesting £500M a week and rising is not having an impact on our services? You can’t be that stupid, can you?
This ridiculous folly is bankrupting the U.K.
That’s not conjecture. That’s fact. Schools are closing early because of it.
But no amount of evidence presented to you would pursuade you. Doesn’t fit your narrative.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/feb/28/school-stockport-close-early-fridays-lack-funding

Get them out. This is the 6th wealthiest country in the world and schools are closing early as they cannot afford to stay open. Schools. Think about that.

You forgot rutted roads, jigsaw paving, rubbish collections being cut, social care in crisis, Police and Fire Services being cut for never-ending " efficiencies " too and that's before we start on the NHS !

I posted some time ago that some schools were considering this move and there was much hilarity and disbelief in response, this could come to Brighton soon as Mrs v's school had to undergo " consultation " last year in order to lose teachers and support staff, next time they will look at the school management team as well in order to cut costs.
Children in Mr's V's class are in need of assessment for Special Needs support but they are unable to assess them in case they are determined to need the extra support that the school can't afford to give them !

In a similar vein, a friend works for a mental health unit and just before Christmas we met for a drink and she wasn't her usual self. She said she had a patient who she thought was going to dangerously self harm and needed to be referred to the Crisis Team and needed to be taken in to a secure ward. She was ordered by her manager not to refer the case to the Crisis Team as they were swamped already. She said if anything happened to the patient at the weekend she would have it on her conscience for life.

Yes, 6th wealthiest country in the world but the money's all gone ?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was talking about the immigration figures which includes foreign students. Surrey Phil was trying to say immigrants were causing the schooling crisis when it is chronic underfunding from this government.
Austerity is the cause. We are paying as much tax and NI as we were 10 years ago, but public spending is going further and further down.
Fewer police, firefighters, nhs workers, court workers, solicitors in the justice system, legal aid etc
What is this government doing with our money?

Wasting it on their pet Brexit.

Public spending is greater than in 2009/10. £817B compared to £669B. No one disputes those figures.

I thought [MENTION=17022]Surrey Phil[/MENTION] was pointing out that our huge annual population increase should be brought into the discussion, as one causal factor.

But I hear what your saying, I respect your on the ground knowledge of the courts, police etc. Our country needs to spend far more on the NHS, HMC&TS, Police, Schools, the disabled, the vulnerable.

I can only see two sources to pay for it:
1. Increase income tax for everyone but the poor.
2. Scrap HS2. The cost is madness, to shave some time off of certain rail journeys.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They pay uni’s and landlords.

But do they pay a full whack of PAYE and NIC through full time employment to pay for schools/GP’s/roads/hospitals. No.

Not saying they should pay, but they are still people part of our population.

They do pay my (very modest) salary though and that is then subject to PAYE and NI, as well as paying VAT directly on their purchases from retailers etc.

Looking at the demographics of consumers of NHS services, they tend to be the young (neo-natal care) the elderly (dementia care is a big cost and getting bigger all the time) and the poor (statistically more likely to have lifestyle related illnesses such as obesity, smoking and drinking than those who are wealthier) rather than people from overseas who in the main arrive here during their working years and as such are less likely to be calling upon health professionals.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I presume your solution would be to pour more money into education, which is fair enough. How much more tax are you personally prepared to pay.

Thanks to the Tory government I pay very little Income Tax, this is also thanks to my employers who pay very poorly so I have little to tax. I would happily pay more tax if I was paid an extra couple of grand a year.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1. Increase income tax for everyone but the poor.
2. Scrap HS2. The cost is madness, to shave some time off of certain rail journeys.

1: Increasing income tax isn't necessary if the government would resist powerful lobby groups from creating loopholes and having relaxed attitudes to offshore activities (and this country is at the center of it with links to the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, BVI and so on). Doing this would allow for relatively low universal tax rates, but the rich are powerful and unwilling to forego any more of their wealth, which is a shame.

2: HS2 is seriously flawed, but the main aim is to increase capacity on the rail network, which in turn can reduce congestion on the roads. Time savings are a byproduct which has been used to sell HS2 to a rightly skeptical public.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They do pay my (very modest) salary though and that is then subject to PAYE and NI, as well as paying VAT directly on their purchases from retailers etc.

Looking at the demographics of consumers of NHS services, they tend to be the young (neo-natal care) the elderly (dementia care is a big cost and getting bigger all the time) and the poor (statistically more likely to have lifestyle related illnesses such as obesity, smoking and drinking than those who are wealthier) rather than people from overseas who in the main arrive here during their working years and as such are less likely to be calling upon health professionals.

Digressing, what do you think of the £56B cost of HS2? (I realise you might gain on shorter journeys to come south ... when it’s built).

Seems madness, when that money could go so far on new hospital and school buildings etc.

p.s. I’m not anti public transport petrol head.

Edit: Our posts crossed!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1: Increasing income tax isn't necessary if the government would resist powerful lobby groups from creating loopholes and having relaxed attitudes to offshore activities (and this country is at the center of it with links to the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, BVI and so on). Doing this would allow for relatively low universal tax rates, but the rich are powerful and unwilling to forego any more of their wealth, which is a shame.

My view on that is, within three years a general election will deliver a coalition (in my humble opinion, no way will Corbyn or the next Tory leader have an overall majority).

With the Tories by then having had their turn, the coalition which comprise parties and politicians willing to tackle the obstacles you mention.

Genuined Question, why weren’t those obstacles tackled from 1997 to 2010?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My view on that is, within three years a general election will deliver a coalition (in my humble opinion, no way will Corbyn or the next Tory leader have an overall majority).

With the Tories by then having had their turn, the coalition which comprise parties and politicians willing to tackle the obstacles you mention.

Genuined Question, why weren’t those obstacles tackled from 1997 to 2010?

Because the voting public decided to kick the can of national debt down the line every time by voting for a low tax regime, and then the financial services sector created a worldwide recession due to greed, opportunism and collusion between bankers, accountants, lawyers, financial regulators and ratings agencies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OFSTED ratings are based on, among other things, quality of form filling and communication with parents. You could shut the school at 11 every morning and be ok if you told the parents it was going to happen and made sure it was correctly logged on a risk register.

And I don’t believe anyone ever went to their grave thinking “I’m glad we had all that austerity”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hhmm. Huddersfield is not a city, it is a large town. You only need to get on a bus for 15 minutes in any direction to see sheep on the hills, eg Holmfirth is just seven miles out of the town centre.
There is a community farm at Berry Brown and Canon Hall is just an hours drive away.

Really! I never knew

You must tell me more about this town I WAS BORN IN.

Jeez sometimes you amaze me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because the voting public decided to kick the can of national debt down the line every time by voting for a low tax regime, and then the financial services sector created a worldwide recession due to greed, opportunism and collusion between bankers, accountants, lawyers, financial regulators and ratings agencies.

They say old people moan about everything and how " Back in my day....." etc etc.... Make the most of what little we have now as it isn't going to get any better. The country should be viewed with the Broken Windows theory. Kids growing up now accept graffiti, uneven pavements, squalor, rutted roads and poor schooling as the norm and won't complain as they are growing up in an environment that is declining and they know no better. Most jobs will be low paid mundane careers that are not worth replacing with a robot or few a ultra well paid niche jobs. The future really isn't bright.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They say old people moan about everything and how " Back in my day....." etc etc.... Make the most of what little we have now as it isn't going to get any better. The country should be viewed with the Broken Windows theory. Kids growing up now accept graffiti, uneven pavements, squalor, rutted roads and poor schooling as the norm and won't complain as they are growing up in an environment that is declining and they know no better. Most jobs will be low paid mundane careers that are not worth replacing with a robot or few a ultra well paid niche jobs. The future really isn't bright.

True, history will judge us as the golden generation that grew up for most of our lives with increasing wealth, life expectancy, a planet that was not destroyed by man made pollution and fossil fuels and decent music. I genuinely feel sorry for the youth of today, their dreams are crumbling.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, I’m serious. That’s what you took away from the OP? The phrasing? Fact is the U.K. should be able to afford to school it’s youth regardless of irrelevant anecdotes about your attitude to egalitarianism. No need to chuck insults about.

No, you’re ranting and sound like a simpleton with your rich country = better public services equation. That’s what I took away from your OP. And since you’ve pissed me off, I’ll add that you’ve come on here, all blinkered and wanting everyone to massage your self righteous opinion, didn’t understand a perfectly decent point, draw the wrong conclusion, insult me (first) and then have the gall to cry foul when you cop some back. Perhaps just do everyone a favour and shut up. I haven’t got time to indulge your ego any further but as if anyone doesn’t think every social sector needs more money...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here