Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic signings in January

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I personally think with the Calderwood incident and the way they handled it, along with our response any deals between our two clubs are going to be none existent. Although I would not put it past them to make several derisory offers for a few of our key players just to unsettle us.

Good point, I'd already forgotten about Calderwoodgate :eek:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Robbie Keane, with Hughton's and Duffy's Irish connections I think it could just be about realistic despite what he would normally expect in a wage.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You think Bruce is realistically aiming for play-offs? ok then!

14 points is a lot to make up regardless of how good your own squad is, I don't want to go overboard on the Albion but we've got a watertight defence, a plethora of midfielders and wingers, we've even got a very competent striker, if we add just one forward, in the Baldock mould, I can't see us squandering 14 points regardless of how well Villa do.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
14 points is a lot to make up regardless of good your own squad is, I don't want to go overboard on the Albion but we've got a watertight defence, a plethora of midfielders and wingers, we've even got a very competent striker, if we add just one forward, in the Baldock mould, I can't see us squandering 14 points regardless of how well Villa do.

I hope you are right but Villa and Derby worry me at the moment..I am constantly having to remind myself of how good our defence is.. I agree one more forward in the Baldock mould would complete the squad and provide depth in every position...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
14 points is a lot to make up regardless of how good your own squad is, I don't want to go overboard on the Albion but we've got a watertight defence, a plethora of midfielders and wingers, we've even got a very competent striker, if we add just one forward, in the Baldock mould, I can't see us squandering 14 points regardless of how well Villa do.

famous last words, never ever, ever tempt fate....

last year same position and we let a 2 nil lead slip and the wheels fell off, there is a long way to go and we will go on a losing run, its just when, how long and will others capitalize ??

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

last year same position and we let a 2 nil lead slip and the wheels fell off, there is a long way to go and we will go on a losing run, its just when, how long and will others capitalize ??
I know, but like it's already been said in the '2015/16 Slump' thread, this years squad has a lot more depth than last seasons, we're currently suffering from our fair share of injuries but with the quality we have it's hardly been noticeable. I'm not saying we're home and hosed but we're in a stronger position than last year, IMO.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Heard a rumour about this today. Friend of a friend (etc etc) but seems it's been agreed.

So if this is true, who will make way for him ? (possibly let Stephens join Burnley) and I presume Jan 1st is when he can actually join the squad ?

i actually hope this is bollox, I don't want him or the circus that will follow...

If we do go up, the press headlines will be "Frank helps little Brighton into the Premiership"

Not "Together Brighton finally get to the Premiership"

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
With Norwich looking unlikely to get automatic promotion they may be needing to cut their cloth.
Therefore I suggest a cheeky bid for Alex Pritchard.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

We hardly conceed a goal let alone go on a losing run. If you didn't support the Albion I think your view would be more positive.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So if this is true, who will make way for him ? (possibly let Stephens join Burnley) and I presume Jan 1st is when he can actually join the squad ?

i actually hope this is bollox, I don't want him or the circus that will follow...

If we do go up, the press headlines will be "Frank helps little Brighton into the Premiership"

Agree. We don't need someone like him upsetting the equilibrium. Pretty sure it is bollocks anyway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Heard a rumour about this today. Friend of a friend (etc etc) but seems it's been agreed.
The danger is that as this was discussed a week ago on NSC that the original 'source' for the friend of a friend was actually..... NSC !

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You think Bruce is realistically aiming for play-offs? ok then!

I think whoever comes second will need to finish in the high 80's points wise. If we say 88 points that would mean Villa need 60 points from their remaining 26 games. That's 18 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats. I'm not sure that's a realistic target for any team in this division to get so based off that I reckon Bruce is targeting the play offs rather than the top two. I'm sure he's got one eye on the top two but can't realistically expect it.

We are, barring a disaster, going to finish in the top 6 and most probably will be in the shake up for automatic promotion with or without his help so it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world for Villa to loan us McCormack if he's not in Bruce's plan as [MENTION=17389]DarrenFreemansPerm[/MENTION] says he would help us take points off those teams who are competing for a play off place.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The danger is that as this was discussed a week ago on NSC that the original 'source' for the friend of a friend was actually..... NSC !

Source is nothing to do with NSC. It's from the media but was passed through at least 3 people before getting to me. I'd score it at 5/10 for reliability. We'll see about Frank ......

Last edited:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

If we get promoted, I couldn't care less what the headlines say!

Personally, I think he'd be a great asset to the squad.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think Villa are going for top 2....They will spend big in January! I don't think they would offload McCormack to a rival!

I suppose all the time it's mathematically possible they may but we could be 17 points clear of them by tomorrow night. Even if not they are going to have to out score (in terms of points) all of at least 6 very good teams. 3 even 4 of them but 6 is a big stretch from so far back

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here